Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
wrjwrj

Cell Phone Tracker

Everyone's cell phone has a built in GPS, good for law enforcement to find the bad guys, but now they have a website that can let anyone you ever gave your number to find you. How long before they put the chip in all of us?

--Bill

Really? What's the name of the website?

I belong to an anti-crime forum and they often look for missing persons. They haven't been able to legally track anyone like this. I'd really like to know more.....

:rolleyes:

Oops - is nothing sacred anymore??

Don't worry folks.

It seems to zero in on my hot tub. And I've got the fuzzy screen in place, so none of you ladies need worry.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::blink:

Although mildly amusing it could also be a none-to-subtle way of harvesting a large number of valid cell phone numbers. That's why I didn't use my cell number but one of someone I'm not too fond of!

David

I knew kind of that cell phones had tracking devices...but I guess it is good that they can find criminals. Thanks for the information.

Lesley

Everyone's cell phone has a built in GPS, good for law enforcement to find the bad guys, but now they have a website that can let anyone you ever gave your number to find you. How long before they put the chip in all of us?

--Bill

Before anyone panics, this is not true by the way....

--Bill

Before anyone panics, this is not true by the way....

Not yet anyway - some of the newer phones do have GPS in them (not one I'd EVER buy)

Most cellphones can be traced to within whatever distance is between the three nearest cell towers, but not by just anyone - there is no publicly available means to do this but the cell phone service providers can track a phone (providing it's turned on)

some of the newer phones do have GPS in them (not one I'd EVER buy)

You don't have a choice in some cases. I had a wonderful little old black Star-Tac. All it did was make and receive calls. No camera, no gizmos, just communication. But it doesn't bounce well and broke, so I went to replace it. The guy at Verizon told me that they cannot sell this type of phone any more in the U.S. because is does not have the AGPS, which is necessary for wireless 9-1-1 service.

Since there are really cheap no frills phones out there, I don't think he told me this just for the sale.

Just in case, though, I keep out of hot tubs. It scares the kids. And I use big words, just in case the government is listening.

-m-