Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ebtalley

new to the forum

Im a 26 year old man (boy) who got in a motorcycle accident about a month ago now. I went from never breaking a bone, to having more broken bones than I can count. I was lucky in that most of the damage was focused on my lower extremities. I had a bk amputation on my left leg and a fasciotomy and knee rebuild on my right leg, but its still intact.

I have always been an active person. My weekdays before the accident usually consisted of bicycling to work on the morning and working out at the gym on lunch break five days a week. I rented a cabin for 5 months in Tahoe and spent most of my weekends there snowshoeing and boarding backcountry trails, because of this I have a lot of questions on the type of prosthetic I need. I am willing to give up certain things, like playing soccer, motorcycles, snowboarding?, and other things but I wont give up hiking and snowshoeing so I need a foot that has the ability to handle variable terrain as well as city terrain. Does anyone have a recommendation on a foot that would fit this bill well?

I have not been measured or fit for a prosthetic yet. Are there any pitfalls I should try to avoid from the outset?

I have read alot of posts in the forums but since I have no idea about prosthetics and the makers of the different components most of the posts make no sense to me.

I am glad that I have found a forum that deals with amputations. Its going to be an interesting year and I think Im going to need as much support as I can get.

Thanks

eric

Hello Eric!

I dont get on the forum much these days but I had your message forwarded to my regular email box and was touched by your story.

I moved to NY from Utah just six months ago and learned to ski while in Utah, just a year after my Left below knee amputation surgery. There are great adaptive ski programs that can help you do whatever sport you like. The one in Utah is called The Ability Center, and is in Park City. They are wonderful!

I have a Renegade foot by Freedom and it does all sports well. It is very flexible for walking, has good energy return, but also does all sports well. The trick with skiing was getting the boot adjusted correctly...padding it to have the forward tilt you need and getting a good tight knee brace to eliminate the wiggle at the knee socket. I had never been athletic before my surgery and just took it up afterward because it looked so fun...so if I can do it, you can do it a hundred times better!

Wherever you ski now, ask around about adaptive sports programs. They are all over the U.S and can help you get the equipment you need and instruction you need. Almost any sport is still within your sites...just put your mind to it and go for it!

Best of luck!

Judy

LBK

Hi Eric, and welcome to the forum. I see you've already gotten some good information. There's lots of that here. And lots of support too.

I have not been measured or fit for a prosthetic yet. Are there any pitfalls I should try to avoid from the outset?

I have read alot of posts in the forums but since I have no idea about prosthetics and the makers of the different components most of the posts make no sense to me.

I am glad that I have found a forum that deals with amputations. Its going to be an interesting year and I think Im going to need as much support as I can get.

Thanks

eric

Eric

Right away you need to get a prescription for a K3 or K4 prosthetic. I have a College Park Tru-Step :

http://www.college-park.com/cpstore/Produc...InfoTruStep.asp

If I can be of any help, I'm just 60-70 miles away. Send me a PM.

If you do a search for "prosthetic foot" you'll get more info than you can easily assimilate. Remember, knowledge is power.

I don't see any activities on your list that you won't be able to do if you want to. Motorcycles can be fitted with electronic shifters. There are people on this forum that do just about everything.

Welcome to the forum Eric. I'm sure that you will find plenty of people willing to help you understand a lot of the things that you don't right now, all you have to do is ask your questions..

As Gil said, there are people here who still ride. I'm sure that you will be able to in time. Once you get a leg under you, and your real leg healed, you will go back to a lot that you done before...

By the way, the K3, K4 reference that Gil made for a prescription, is a class of ability that you will have.. They classify your activity levels... Don't be surprised though, if the prosthetist, starts you out, in little more basic foot. Often times they will do that until you get a handle on things, and become more active.. Depends on the situation and the people involved.

Stay in touch...

Higgy

much appreciation for your welcome. When I get someone to measure me up and put together a socket for me I figure they can give me a peg leg, in fact I think that would be kind of cool :) honestly I just need something so that I can weight bear when I transfer from my bed to my wheelchair. right now Im non weight bearing on all 4 limbs while my hands heal after a couple meta-carpels broke. The sooner I can take care of myself, the sooner I can send my mother home :)

I think my biggest concern at this point is finding someone who will work with me on a socket. I dropped around 40 pounds from the day of my accident to now so Im a bit worried about problematic fittings from the outset. I was a weight guy at around 190 pounds and now I look like I escaped from siberia, I blame it on the hospital food.

attached is a picture of me last week, Ive still got a way to go on the healing

post-2190-1179808773_thumb.jpg

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Glad you found us - it's a nice place to be.

Gil has a good point with the K3 and K4 reference. Yes, it's a level of activity, but as I recall, Gill had one hellava time trying to get his leg upgraded when he discovered that he had been given a bottom of the range foot. Had to fight tooth and nail for a decent foot.

K4 may be a bit high for starters, but K3 is definitely a do-able level.

Also, most (all?) manufacturers of prosthetic feet have a trial period where you can wear the foot for at least 30 days and decide whether you like it or not. You may want to try out 2 or 3 different feet before you make a final decision.

Like Higgy says though, worrying about your components (ie, foot) should be second on your list. Getting a well fitting socket is paramount. Without a comfortable socket, no fancy foot in the world is going to get you mobile.

Good luck, this is an exciting new time!

:)

hi eric, you sound like you had the same sort of time as me. :ph34r:

I was very active with cycling and scuba diving (one notch below instructor), running and hiking too. My motorcycle accident left me with a left below knee amputation and a smashed up right leg, a broken right wrist and big initial weight drop.

Be careful now you're home. all the 'love' people gave me saw a huge weight increase due to lack of excercise which my body was used to and too much good food.

On a more cheerful note, i now ride a trike and life is starting to look normal. My advice to you is, don't stop pushing forwards, sometimes it feels like you're going backwards because progress seems soooooo slow. but if you take a look back to where you started once in a while it will remind you how increadably tough and single minded you have been and that NOTHING is going to stop you achieving the ultimate goal.... being yourself again.

You will find yourself looking back at your past life and wanting all back the same as it was from time to time. Let me tell you this, you will NEVER have that life back, but you will build a better one, because everything you do from now on will take more strength and courage than you thought you had in you, so the reward is even sweeter.

i wish you the very best of luck and good health honey xx

keep us posted on how you are xx

Pic026.jpg

G'day Eric.....big Aussie welcome to ya.

Hope you enjoy your time here and get the info you need....I'm sure you will ;)

Cat

much appreciation for your welcome. When I get someone to measure me up and put together a socket for me I figure they can give me a peg leg, in fact I think that would be kind of cool :) honestly I just need something so that I can weight bear when I transfer from my bed to my wheelchair. right now Im non weight bearing on all 4 limbs while my hands heal after a couple meta-carpels broke. The sooner I can take care of myself, the sooner I can send my mother home :)

I think my biggest concern at this point is finding someone who will work with me on a socket. I dropped around 40 pounds from the day of my accident to now so Im a bit worried about problematic fittings from the outset. I was a weight guy at around 190 pounds and now I look like I escaped from siberia, I blame it on the hospital food.

attached is a picture of me last week, Ive still got a way to go on the healing

Eric

Now that I've seen your picture, there are some things you need to consider.

First, your hands need to heal. That will allow you to transfer from bed to wheelchair, etc. Then you will need to heal your right leg. I doubt if any prosthetist will try to fit you with anything without you being able to stand on one leg. This has to do with height. Of course your stump has to heal, also.

I also notice you're wearing a back brace (?). How is that doing?

I don't mean to sound like a "wet blanket", but there are certain steps that have to happen.

I was in a car accident, was trapped for over an hour and had a fire start under my seat. I have scars all over my left arm and had to get that healed up before I could transfer. I can now lift my weight with either hand.

I know how it is to be "helpless" and I encourage you to work on getting more independent. I had a similar weight loss in hospital, only worse cause I was there longer. I thought I looked like an Auschwitz survivor (sorry, that was a little before your time).

It's times like this that I wish I had a "magic wand", but I don't.

Keep in touch!

So I was told to go see the hanger group for prosthetics but there is a prosthetist who really seems to want my business, he is here in sacramento, a man named mike shower with sunrise. I wasnt going to work with him because he is outside my network but he called back and told me he was going to eat the 20 percent difference so i guess ill give him a try. he sounds like hes willing to work with me and be flexible.

I also got a burst fracture in my back gil, it was minor ie fractured away from the cord so i didnt require surgery but i will need to wear the brace when sitting up for the next two months. dont worry about sounding like a wet blanket, I try to play by the rules ie I havent been too active while im healing for the next two weeks but as soon as I get the go ahead im pushing as hard as I can. Im young enough to be brash and at the very least i can use the prosthetic to transfer from bed to wheelchair.

Im actually looking forward to being able to stand soon with both legs. im going to look damn sexy with suit and brass tipped cane :P

my right hand is almost healed but i dont know about my left hand until i see the doctor at the end of the month.