Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hey everyone. Ok so I am not sure if this has been discused or not but I am curious. I am a symes amp. I have looked and looked and there is not type of foot that would enable me to wear high heels. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone help me? I reallyyy want to wear heels. I have been doing research and really haven't found much. Thanks for your help!!

Shelby

I looked into it once and some mfgs will consider making a special. Check with anyone who advertises a heel adjustable foot. Build height is always a question.

I do have am adjustable ankle (the name of which escapes me) but I am not a typical symes as due to deformities my leg is somewhat shorter than it should be anyway which just gives me enough clearance (6"). There was a thread on this a little while ago but the answer was for a typical symes there isn;t really anything suitable -Cat is the expert.

Sue

Cat is the expert.

Sue

:unsure::blink::ph34r:

Shelby it all comes down to how much clearance you have. Sue has way more than I do so there isn't room for an ankle. I have a grand total of 10 cm's (3.9 inches) and there's just not quite enough room to get the componentry in. :(

What sort of foot do you have now?

I don't think it has any special name...It is a typical one I think. It has a hole in the bottom with a screw so I can take it off and clean it after I have been to the beach. There is about a 2.5 - 3 inch difference between my legs so it's really not that much different.

Sounds like a SACH foot Shelby. They are usually the ones given to Symes.

Will get some info together for you and send it to you.

Guest bearlover

Personally I think shoes are over rated! I could never wear heels and never will. I wore a brace all my life before the amputation. You don't miss what you never had..

Hi

I have an adjustable heel on my foot which allows me to have a small heel. I am hoping to upgrade to one that is higher, soon. I really love the wedge shoes that are in fashion at the moment and can get away with wearing higher heels if they have a small platform at the front of the shoe. They are also better for practising in as they are easier to balance on. If I find any more information I will let you know. I have about 6 pairs of shoes that I will not get rid of as they are unique and I know that one day I will wear them.

Thanks

Lisa, I would be interested in knowing what kind of foot goes higher than a couple of inches. I have a Runway and had an Elation and neither goes any more than 2 inches. I would love to be able to wear the wedge heels but my Runway won't accomodate them. Let me know if you find the right foot :)

Hi Marcia,

i am almost positive we have had this conversation before but I have an elation foot and I am certain that it goes higher than two inches. I have honestly not found a pair of shoes yet that are too high for the foot and that i can't wear because of the fact that the ankle doesn't adjust enough.

I have a few pairs of fairly high heels and anything higher I wouldn't buy anyway because I wouldn't be able to walk in them even two legged!! i reckon it is all a matter of try and see!!

Fiona x

I have about 6 pairs of shoes that I will not get rid of as they are unique and I know that one day I will wear them.

Thanks

I think that's a very good idea. I used to have LOADS of lovely shoes. Then one day, in a fit of "I am finally dealing with my amputation-wow look at me now", I gave them all away. I thought it was quite a therapeutic thing to do. Looking back, it was a really bad idea. I should have planted a rose garden or something :P

The Elation foot is technically only supposed to accomodate a 2 inch heel. Anything higher, would be up to you. At least, that is what they told me when they issued mine. It works great in the office enviroment for me, but I wear the Ceterus LP at home on the farm, the Elation, just doesn't cut it for anything like that..

I have a friend who is a symes, that will sand their foot down, but I wouldn't recommend that while it's still under warranty. Plus, you REALLY have to know what you are doing with a sander or you could totally screw the foot up...

I have a friend who is a symes, that will sand their foot down, but I wouldn't recommend that while it's still under warranty. Plus, you REALLY have to know what you are doing with a sander or you could totally screw the foot up...

Methinks Tammie let the cat out of the bag :lol: :lol:

Truth be known the warranty doesn't matter one bit....what you need is a spare foot!....and a sander :P

Nope, my friend, you just did with that post. :P :P I have a couple of friends with symes amputations.

However, you are right about needing the "spare" and a sander... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I never really wore heels persay.

Harley boots have about a 1 1/4 heel my Truestep College park is great in tennis shoes or Harley Boots.

Skully Cat

:P There is a foot caLled the endlolite which is adjustable also. Not sure if it will allow a real high heel. This will no doubt change you gate also so be prepared for that. Good luck.

Okay, I give up....what do you do with the sander???

Pictures coming soon :ph34r:

In case no one noticed, Heather has a quite high heel. Probably specially made, but ....

post-1850-1181344443_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone. Ok so I am not sure if this has been discused or not but I am curious. I am a symes amp. I have looked and looked and there is not type of foot that would enable me to wear high heels. Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone help me? I reallyyy want to wear heels. I have been doing research and really haven't found much. Thanks for your help!!

Hello Shelby,

Sorry for the delay . . .

I've been a Symes Amputee since 1978. Although I am "technically" in the old lady phase in my life, it is still important to me to look sexy. And we all know that wearing heels helps in that department. When a man is picturing a sexy woman in a hot dress or even a skimpy teddy, heels are a part of that "picture". A woman wants to feel feminine and heels certainly makes a woman feel feminine.

Having said all of that, I lost my foot in a freak accident at the age of 12. Only a couple of weeks prior, my mother had given me permission to wear heels for "special" occassions. So much for that! <eye roll>

Anyway, like Cat, I am a TRUE symes in that they cut me through the ankle. Therefore, my leg sets into the actual foot. The mechanics for having heel adjustments take place within the ankle region and I still have ME in that area so I have never been able to wear heels since my accicent.

Although men think that women are sexiest in heels, I have had (more than I can count) men finding me plenty sexy without the heels.

However, I still find myself contemplating having more of my leg cut off just so that I can wear heels. <Eek!> How sick is that!!??

At the last Amputee conference, when John was being such a dear and leading me around to the different prosthetists to discuss my delimna, they made it clear that since symes are not the "norm" that not much time and money is put into figuring out a way to make our situatuion work because there is no money in it.

So, unfortunately we are screwed. If you do find a company who will work with us and make us "heel" friendly feet, then PLEASE let me know and I will do the same in kind.

I'm sorry I don't have better news.

Amy

Pictures coming soon :rolleyes:

Do I REALLY want to see this :unsure::unsure: ???

In case no one noticed, Heather has a quite high heel. Probably specially made, but ....

And I read an interview where she said she had to wear lower heels for that than she normally does :o I'd love to know what kind of foot she wears.

And I read an interview where she said she had to wear lower heels for that than she normally does :o I'd love to know what kind of foot she wears.

We c ould ask her hehehe. Heck why not, lol Johhny could maybe slip a casual question. hehehe

Thanks for all of the sugestions everyone. Sorry it took me so long to get here. My internet is so stupid. Anyway, Amy, I have considered having more of my leg amputated for cosmetic reasons. It sounds insane I know. My doctor said she would like to see me with more of my leg amputated for some other things (can't remember what) But I don't want to go through that. I don't remember my amputation so I have noooo idea what it is like. I have loved purses and shoes since I was little. I have plenty of cute flats but they are not heels. And I want to wear heels to prom and to my wedding. And If I had the revisoion surgery, when would I get it done? I am still in school and have plenty of years of college ahead of me and teeth surgery in 2 years.

Most people tell me heels aren't worth it but its that fact that I CAN'T wear them that gets to me. I know I can do anything and that being the only thing I can't do (besides geometry), It's just annoying.