Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Freddy

My Stump Surgery Is Set

Update,

Two days after getting the stitches removed I got an allergic reaction from the glue used to hold the steri-strips on my scars. There are lines on each side parallel with the scars of hives/rash where the glue was painted on my skin. Putting 1% hydrocortisone cream on it and taking oral antihistamines has helped to bring it under control. I could not swim while the rash was present or wear my shrinker so my recovery was set back a week. It is much improved today so it should be gone soon. Anyone else have a problem with the glue/adhesive?

Update,

Two days after getting the stitches removed I got an allergic reaction from the glue used to hold the steri-strips on my scars. There are lines on each side parallel with the scars of hives/rash where the glue was painted on my skin. Putting 1% hydrocortisone cream on it and taking oral antihistamines has helped to bring it under control. I could not swim while the rash was present or wear my shrinker so my recovery was set back a week. It is much improved today so it should be gone soon. Anyone else have a problem with the glue/adhesive?

Absolutely. I have all kinds of problems with tape. They tried every kind - paper, plastic, mesh. Most all of them gave me a rash. When my groins were healing (from the inside out about 1 1/2 inches deep, I had to just hold or find some way to put pressure on the bandage, because they couldn't use the tape. (eight times on one side, 4 times on the other down to the femoral artery.)

No, we never did find a solution and to this day they use tape very sparingly on me only for short periods. This hasn't changed in 19 years - (this June 22nd)

Update,

Freddy

Had that same problem for the past 42 years now. Most of my body is covered with scars and skin grafts and I have found that most lotions, creams, and adhesives will cause a reaction some mild some really bad. Worst reaction comes when I have had to use an ointment on my skin and then seal it with dressings and bandages, skin cannot breathe.

It has just been a case of trial and error to find what my skin will tolerate and what it will not and even then if I use something for long enough I will react to it. Now I have to be careful with my silicone liners because of the airtight seal. I make sure that my legs and stumps are rinsed with plain water and dried after every shower before putting my liners on because any dried soap on my legs will cause a reaction when sealed against the skin with the liner.

Update,

Freddy

Had that same problem for the past 42 years now. Most of my body is covered with scars and skin grafts and I have found that most lotions, creams, and adhesives will cause a reaction some mild some really bad. Worst reaction comes when I have had to use an ointment on my skin and then seal it with dressings and bandages, skin cannot breathe.

It has just been a case of trial and error to find what my skin will tolerate and what it will not and even then if I use something for long enough I will react to it. Now I have to be careful with my silicone liners because of the airtight seal. I make sure that my legs and stumps are rinsed with plain water and dried after every shower before putting my liners on because any dried soap on my legs will cause a reaction when sealed against the skin with the liner.

Have you tried Adaptskin? I am allergic to a lot of things and it works very well.

JudyH

Update,

All is well! The rash is gone and I was able to swim a slow mile today, the first since June 5th. I have three weeks to wear my shrinker, keep my weight down, and fit back into my socket before I see the surgeon on July 24th.

Update,

Tried the leg on Monday and it was a tight fit with pain. Saw the surgeon Tuesday and he said give it a few weeks more. Today is seven weeks since surgery and the plastic surgeon had said it would be 8 to 10 weeks. Patience!

Freddy

Hi Folks,

On June 7th I am having surgery on my AK stump. An orthopedic surgeon will shave the bone regrowth from my femur, had this done in 1996, and a plastic surgeon is going to excise a deep scar that keeps getting infected with fungus each year. There is an ERTL AK procedure to stop bone regrowth, but the nearest surgeon is in PA. I will be at least 8 weeks on crutches before I can be fitted for a new socket. It should be back to normal by Labor Day when I return to work as a teacher, if everything goes as planned.

As the days get nearer to June 7th I am becoming increasingly anxious about the surgery. At this moment my stump is doing fine as I wear it 12-14 hours a day, but I know that I will get more fungal infections if I do not have this surgery. Fungus causes my stump to swell and it becomes very painful to wear my prosthesis as edema leaks out. Having been under about a dozen times I feel that maybe the next time I may not wake up. Funny how the mind works when one has several months to think about upcoming surgery. Oh well, I will keep you posted on how things are going after surgery.

Hi Folks,

On June 7th I am having surgery on my AK stump. An orthopedic surgeon will shave the bone regrowth from my femur, had this done in 1996, and a plastic surgeon is going to excise a deep scar that keeps getting infected with fungus each year. There is an ERTL AK procedure to stop bone regrowth, but the nearest surgeon is in PA. I will be at least 8 weeks on crutches before I can be fitted for a new socket. It should be back to normal by Labor Day when I return to work as a teacher, if everything goes as planned.

As the days get nearer to June 7th I am becoming increasingly anxious about the surgery. At this moment my stump is doing fine as I wear it 12-14 hours a day, but I know that I will get more fungal infections if I do not have this surgery. Fungus causes my stump to swell and it becomes very painful to wear my prosthesis as edema leaks out. Having been under about a dozen times I feel that maybe the next time I may not wake up. Funny how the mind works when one has several months to think about upcoming surgery. Oh well, I will keep you posted on how things are going after surgery.

Hi Freddy, I happened to see your post. I just wanted to say that as a prosthetist I think the surgery will be something you will be quite happy about having for many reasons after it's over. To be able to use your prosthesis comfortably and not be so much at risk of infection is a great outcome for you! Think about this in a positive way only, as it is going to be a positive event for you. You will get through this just fine! Respectfully, Kevin.

Glad all is going well - patience is so hard sometimes isn't it.

I also have terrible problems with allergies to all forms of plaster, invariably health professionals are disbelieving at first saying that it's only paper tape and nobody is allergic to that until 1/2 hour later when I have come up in red weals from the 'only paper tape'!!

As kevin says it will all be worth it to be walking pain free and without constant infections.

keep us posted.

Sue

Update,

Tried the leg on Monday and it was a tight fit with pain. Saw the surgeon Tuesday and he said give it a few weeks more. Today is seven weeks since surgery and the plastic surgeon had said it would be 8 to 10 weeks. Patience!

Freddy

Freddy, glad to hear that your surgery has gone well. I climbed the walls after my last operation, it was worth the wait.

Update!

I am walking on sunshine!!! Put the leg on today and it was tight at the top as I had difficulty getting all the way to the bottom. I was about a half inch short even after wrapping it with ace bandages and later the shrinker. So I decided to make some adjustments. First, I re wrapped my stump with aces all the way to the groin area for 2 hours. Then, I opened up the back of the leg where padding was glued over the frame adjustment strap. After removing part of the pad I was able to adjust an loosen the Velcro strap which allows the inner plastic socket to expand when heated by my stump. Finally, I was able to get my stump all the way into the socket. After some initial discomfort around the top, my stump both shrunk and fit better. It has been 5 hours without pain. So I will wear it until 8 PM and then wrap my stump and later wear my shrinker. Hopefully, it will fit tomorrow!

It sure seem's like a lot of what we do is "trial and error".

If at first we don't we don't suceed - try, try again.

Sounds like to me that your persistance is beginning to pay off. It's good to hear that. Keep at it. You'll get there.

Update:

Today the stump was swollen due to high humidity and my failing to wrap it last night. So I gave it a rest and wore my shrinker today and wrapped it by mid-afternoon. Tomorrow is going to be dry and cooler so I should be able to wear my leg. I likely over did it the last two days. Patience!

Update:

It would not fit today again. I consulted the doctor and prosthetist and a new socket is the answer. Next week I will begin the process. Oh crutches, how I love ya!

Bummer! :( Hold on eventually it will work for you. :)

Thanks, I spoke with my boss and he was cool about it. I have to return work on September 4th and I hope it will not be on crutches. But I have done it before.

Guest bearlover

Bummer! :( Hold on eventually it will work for you. :)

Thanks, I spoke with my boss and he was cool about it. I have to return work on September 4th and I hope it will not be on crutches. But I have done it before.

I hope things wokl out for you.I know the feeling. Hang tight :)

Well, a new socket is at least a non-invasive way of getting bipedal again, Freddy.....

Hope the process goes well and speedily for you and you start the school year in good shape!

Update:

Got measured today. It was like 1980 again with a plaster of Paris cast and no CAD CAM. My prosthetist said after many years his castings made better fits than the computer did. Next Monday a check socket fitting and next Thursday a final fitting. He will check out the frame for cracks, but the Mauch unit and foot he deemed sound. I need a foam cover made for my ankle to knee. Too many scratches by my cat. It is an 80/20 split and I am up to $1,500 right now, but there is no limit. I decided to go with a suction socket as it is all I know. He showed me the rubber liner socket, but he said most long time AK amputees with suction sockets did not like the new sockets. Two weeks and I will be walking. Maybe?

Update:

I got the new socket yesterday. Problems have surfaced. The foot rotates and probably needs to be replaced. I am getting pain at the outside distal end of my femur as it is pushing against the socket. I have been back to the prosthetist's today to fix the foot but it still moves. He put a pad between the frame and the socket to help keep the femur from rubbing. Time will tell.

Update:

I got the new socket yesterday. Problems have surfaced. The foot rotates and probably needs to be replaced. I am getting pain at the outside distal end of my femur as it is pushing against the socket. I have been back to the prosthetist's today to fix the foot but it still moves. He put a pad between the frame and the socket to help keep the femur from rubbing. Time will tell.

You know Freddy this sounds so familiar. I have - what I consider - one of the best CP's around, but in the last 12 years, I have had 4 legs made, and have given two of them back - never used - to my CP to give to someone who needed them more - and they would fit. (I just didn't want to take the time to "tweak" them into fitting properly.) Today, I am wearing one that he made for me about 10 years ago (I did have a new liner made last year for it.) I still have one leg that I keep back as a spare, and it still isn't as comfortable as the one that I wear, but one of these days I might have it "tweaked" to fit better..

I wear the very basic suprcondulyr suspension, without any ankle or moving parts. My foot is bolted straight to my leg. The leg is held on by a wedge that goes behind the inside of my knee. It's like putting on - and taking off - a pair of slippers. And it stays put - until I don't want it to stay put, and then just a slight tug.......

I climb ladders, walk on roofs, and crawl under houses (not so much anymore with my circulation). I've tried all of the others, and without a doubt this is the most comfortable - for me.

You'll get all of the bugs worked out between what's left of you own leg, and the one that they are making for you. Just be patient - and persistent. You'll get there.

I know these things. :P

Update:

Well the pylon attached to the foot was turning sideways when I walked so I had to have that fixed. The soft plastic inner socket they used is expanding due to body heat and causes me to lose suction. He is making me a new inner socket out of the harder clear plastic I had before with a few other adjustments. I returned to work Tuesday and get around but who needs painful areas where the socket fits. The good news is the area of my surgery is doing well. Perhaps by next week I will be doing better.

Guest bearlover

Sounds good Freddy, I know the fustrations of a socket that you are speaking of..Happy to hear that your surgery is mending..Hang tight! :)