Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jim T.

Amputee Fights Back

The first thought that came to my mind when I read this is that we - as amputees - aren't helpless. We lost the use of a leg - or foot, but we still have the rest of us to work with. So..... 5 or 10 percent is gone. Too many people forget about the other 90-95 % that we have left to work with. Our lives are not over - not by a long shot.

At my age - 70 - I hear an old saying quite often: "GETTING OLD "AIN'T FOR SISSIES". (Trust me, that's true), but neither is being an amputee. It sure wasn't any fun getting here, but here we are and we have to make the best of what we have left.

So, for those who think that their life is over because they lost a leg - or more, I'd like to add this article about the success of another amputee. We all do what we have to do - with what we've got to do with. As I said - "We make the best out of what we've got" and get on with life - and be thankful that we've got it to get on with.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276334,00.html

Wow :o

Just not his time to go.

Thanks Jim

How in the world could his bk leg have cost $65,000? I have a fairly hi-tech leg with a Renegade foot. It was billed out at less than $20,000 and actually cost only about $12,500. When I first read the article, I thought it must have been a c-leg and was really thinking how stupid the guy must be to wear that in the water.

And heres this Yutz:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/13416511/detail.html?dl=mainclick

For $12.50 I could have made him a water leg.

How in the world could his bk leg have cost $65,000? I have a fairly hi-tech leg with a Renegade foot. It was billed out at less than $20,000 and actually cost only about $12,500. When I first read the article, I thought it must have been a c-leg and was really thinking how stupid the guy must be to wear that in the water.

$65,000 or $6,500 What's this yo-yo doing taking his good leg to the water to begin with? Duh!! That's the trouble today. Too many people don't realize that there are consequences for actions. For every action, there is a reaction. Not always positive. My father's favorite admonishment to me as a youth was: "Jim - get your head out of the sack, and think". Someone ought to have told him the same.

I'm sorry - no sympathy.

I can't believe that you have no sympathy for the guy. Granted he shouldn't have taken his good leg into the water, but if it's the only leg that he has and he likes water skiing then I suppose it was a risk he thought was worth taking. Give the guy a break. How exciting would life be if we constantly worried about the consequences of our actions.

I can't believe that you have no sympathy for the guy. Granted he shouldn't have taken his good leg into the water, but if it's the only leg that he has and he likes water skiing then I suppose it was a risk he thought was worth taking. Give the guy a break. How exciting would life be if we constantly worried about the consequences of our actions.

Where I come from it's called "growing up". If he chose to swim with a "$65,000" leg, that's his choice, but don't go crying to rest of the responsible world when things go wrong. He didn't HAVE to go swimming with a $65,000 leg. Like Joe A. said, he could have made him one for $12.50, (or whatever). The point in the article wasn't that the man lost his leg, but that it was a "$65,000" leg. Now maybe he could afford it. If so, then quit complaining. Sympathy that a poor man who couldn't afford any new leg lost his, through no fault of his own - you bet, but for this one - no way.

Guest bearlover

I agree Jim stpidity is a word that comes to mind for this one...

Guest bearlover

And heres this Yutz:

http://www.nbc10.com/news/13416511/detail.html?dl=mainclick

For $12.50 I could have made him a water leg.

$65,000 or $6,500 What's this yo-yo doing taking his good leg to the water to begin with? Duh!! That's the trouble today. Too many people don't realize that there are consequences for actions. For every action, there is a reaction. Not always positive. My father's favorite admonishment to me as a youth was: "Jim - get your head out of the sack, and think". Someone ought to have told him the same.

I'm sorry - no sympathy.

No sympathy needed here!

]

I'm like you, Neal. How does a BK prosthesis cost $65,000. I have a pretty good set up with a Silhouette foot and I promise it didn't cost anywhere near that much.

I went on a jet ski this past weekend -- in my water leg. If you don't have a water leg, I think you could go jet skiing without a leg. I'm sorry he's lost his because apparently he's not in a situation to replace it, and I know I wouldn't want to be without mine. But no way am I going on the jet ski in my GOOD leg. I did, however, go down the water slide in it :o . Had to climb up those stairs first :P

I'm like you, Neal. How does a BK prosthesis cost $65,000. I have a pretty good set up with a Silhouette foot and I promise it didn't cost anywhere near that much.

I went on a jet ski this past weekend -- in my water leg. If you don't have a water leg, I think you could go jet skiing without a leg. I'm sorry he's lost his because apparently he's not in a situation to replace it, and I know I wouldn't want to be without mine. But no way am I going on the jet ski in my GOOD leg. I did, however, go down the water slide in it :o . Had to climb up those stairs first :P

:P Dumb dumdum dumb-dummy...what a silly! :lol: :rolleyes: Hey by the way, what is a water leg? I have never heard of it. I will be calling my guy on Monday. Man if I can just get in the water with it!!!wow, Summer would not be so bad!

Guest bearlover

Stupid is being kind...But maybe this person is a member here? :o hmmmm anyway it was crazy of him..I agreee!

:P Dumb dumdum dumb-dummy...what a silly! :lol: :blink:Hey by the way, what is a water leg? I have never heard of it. I will be calling my guy on Monday. Man if I can just get in the water with it!!!wow, Summer would not be so bad!

A water leg is one that is designed to be worn in water without being damaged. Mine is a completely sealed unit with a solid rubber foot that can be wiped dry after use - it is surprisingly comfortable considering it is so basic.

Sue

Hi

I sympathise with him. We all do stupid things that in hind sight we regret doing.

Is a water leg worn the same as a normal leg?

Sue, when you say that it's a basic foot, how basic? Just a hunk of rubber, or is there an ankle joint?

If you had a good leg and a water leg, would you wear the good leg if you were just going out on the boat (but not in the water)?

Austin, a "water leg" is what I WANT... badly! It's also something that's almost-never covered by US insurance companies (which is why I'm still wanting one). Our friends in the UK generally have it easier on that front... although I gather it's not an absolute guarantee, it's not uncommon for an amputee in the UK to get TWO prostheses at a time: their standard "everyday living" leg and a "sports/activity" leg, such as one meant specifically for running... or for water activities.

"Water leg" just means that, however the leg is constructed, it has either few enough or durable enough components that it can be submerged without damaging the prosthesis or causing the "innards" to rust. The other thing a water leg has going for it is that it has strategically placed drainage holes, so water doesn't build up inside the leg and weigh you down. A friend of mine considers a very simple pegleg his "water leg."

I gather that many folks use their water leg for "wet" activities ranging from showering to boating to simply getting into and out of a swimming pool... they take the water leg off while actually swimming, as they find it easier without. (Getting into a pool is no big deal... getting OUT of the pool one-legged can be more of a challenge!) I'd think that, as long as you're talking about "going out on a boat," as opposed to, say, whitewater rafting, you'd be fine using your "everyday" leg and a bit of caution.

A number of folks here do have water legs... I hope they'll be along to share their "specifics" with you!

Is a water leg worn the same as a normal leg?

Sue, when you say that it's a basic foot, how basic? Just a hunk of rubber, or is there an ankle joint?

If you had a good leg and a water leg, would you wear the good leg if you were just going out on the boat (but not in the water)?

Basically the foot is just a hunk of rubber and it is fused on to the main shaft - there is no ankle as such. I wear mine whenever there is a chance that the leg/foot will be submersed in water as I do not wish to risk damage to my decent legs (one for everyday use and one for sports).

Cheryl - you are right here in the UK we are allowed two legs at a time (used to be a max of three but they changed the rules). I am lucky in that my water leg is comfortable enough that I can wear it for more than just in the water if need be (ie at summer camp I needed it for the beach games as they involved paddling in the sea but wore it to 'run' the mile there, play the games and then 'run' back - for 'run' read alternately jog and walk as I am not that fit!! You are also right in that I would not swim seriously in my water leg, if I am actually swimming I prefer to be without any leg.

Sue