Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

Surgery in six days

Hi Judy,

You make me think so much of myself, waiting to receive my first leg. I can certainly understand your anxieties. Our amputee clinic director (Dr) has to see the finished product before we can leave with ours. So he was holding the leg, looking it all over, then took my left sneaker and put that on. I sat there watching him and then all of a sudden, just out of the blue, I said

"ouch, you've got that tied to tight on my foot"! Well the look on his face was.... Priceless. Then we all started to chuckle, even him, and they say, that he doesn't do to often. He says, "I can see you're going to be just fine." So I believe with your patience, good sense of humor and the determination to get started, "you're going to be just fine also.". :D The one thing I hated the most was having to ask others to do for me, when I've always done for myself. I've always been a very independent person, so I didn't care for that 'dependent feeling' either. Which I think helped me move along some days, rather I wanted to or not. Only, like everyone else, had to start out with baby steps and take one day at a time. You'll be in and out of that grocery store in a flash!! Please let us know when you get the leg and how it's going for you, k? Good Luck ;)

ttfn, Sheila

Keep Smiling :)

Hi Judy,

I'm glad to hear you are doing so very well. Feb. 12 will be my one year anniversary since my RBKA. I too made the choice after 17 years of pain 18 surgeries, all because of a sports injury!! I'm doing wonderful! I have a life now! One without limitations. I'm an active participant in my childrens lives. I have three wonderful children, ages 4,6 and 8. I just went for the third fitting for my running leg! I'm so excited! I never thought I would walk without pain, let alone run. My family can't wait. I know you will continue to do well. A positive attitude, lots of faith and support you will be climbing mountains before long!

Alisa

Hi Judy,

Sorry it's been so long - You should have your new leg now and be on your way. I got mine on the 2nd of February and I can "walk" for about a half hour, but can only keep it on for about 2 hours without it engorging and being too painful to walk after sitting in the wheelchair. I'm amazed at how "comfortable" it is if you take it slowly. I fell on my tailbone and fractured it while hopping down the stairs after a nap...then today I slipped on a rug in the bathroom and fell on my stump and it's very sore, but not swollen, so I guess nothing's broken. I'm such a clutz (sp?) that it was only a matter of time since I fell on my single point failure...

Your kids sound wonderful and helpful, you're so blessed to have them. You have a marvelous life ahead of you and we're going to be walking in May - YEAH!

Keep us all up to speed with your new best friend (Ms. Leg).

XOXO

Retta

Well, you might be surprised to hear that I DONT have my leg yet....practically counting down the HOURS though....

I went in last tuesday (feb 10) and they cast my leg for the new socket. My dad got to be here for that. He took photos for me, so I could document this process. I should have then received my new leg wednesday, but by a stroke of bad luck for me, the whole office left for a conference out of state! How DARE them! They are back tuesday, but my husband is flying to DC for the weekend to be with his dying uncle, and wont be back until tues night, he really wants to be there when I learn to walk again, so we pushed the appointment back to WEDNESDAY...seems like an eternity!

In the meantime the days fly by, just keeping up with the household WITHOUT the extra help anymore. My dad left last wednesday and I find it very tiring hopping around on just one leg, making dinner, doing laundry, so I take lots of rest stops along the way.

To make things more exciting, my daughters broken arm was not healing straight so monday they checked her into the hospital and re-broke it, put a pin in it. She is my squeamish one, it was a big day..but she did great. It is a MUCH more sickening feeling to be hopping behind that stretcher as it takes your baby to the OR, than it is being ON the stretcher!

Then we got this call about my husbands uncle. Like a dad to him and really brings up sad memoreis of his dads death again (he died when we were in our 20s). His uncle is at the end of a long fight with cancer so Jeff will fly out to DC to be with his aunt/uncle. He planned to take our ten year old son with him, for company and to have some fun together while they are out there. (we just moved from there six months ago). It seems as soon as I bought the plane tickets for them, my ten year old came down with a toothache. Being new to the area I had to search to find him a last minute dentist and *hop* in cold turkey! Got that worked out, should be done with crisis's for this week!

NEXT week will be good....I finally get to feel what it is like to stand on a GOOD leg! I will post the progress, I promise!

Thanks to everyone who is checking in! I have gotten so much encouragment from this site!

judy

Judy,

WOW you have your plate full right now. It's so rough as it is to be dealing with the one leg thing then have everything else fall apart around you.. UGH As for the chores have you kids help and make it a game for them so it will be more fun the just doing chores. Mine were great after my revision and they did a lot of stuff for mommy when she couldn't do for herself which is very rare.

Holding off till Wed to get the leg will give you an extra day of healing and will be a day of CELEBRATION for you and your family so go out to dinner!!

Keep us posted

Your Friend

Brenda