Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
renee1976

My dad

My dad who is 53 had to have his right leg amputated today, due to a massivie infection. He recently had open heart surgery a month ago, and they removed the arteries for his heart from his leg. Well a few weeks later he was having trouble walking, so this doctor told him he had a minut blood clot and to apply a heating pad twice a day for 10 minutes. Well my father is a diabetic, and it turns out diabetics are not suppose to apply heat to there legs like that, my fathers leg was burned all the way to the down to his bone. It was determined that my father didn't have a blood clot, it was an infection, and the heat caused it to spread throughout his leg, and then the burn on top of it, his leg was filled with gases and was removed. Im afraid for my dad, i am afraid he will lose his will to live. can anyone tell me, whats next? will he get a leg? is that covered through insurances?? i just want to keep his hopes up. and have him see his life is not over. He is also the grampa of 9!!! so he has to stay busy:) We are from Rochester, NY.

***My dads leg has come off above his knee, around the middle of his thigh**

Thank you all-

Renee

Renee,

Welcome to the forum we are glad you found us. This is a great place to find information, support and encouragement. I am sorry your dad is having such a hard time. Diabetics are at higher risk for limb loss due to poor circulation. I am not a dr so can't give any medical advice but I hope I can help you a little bit and maybe just knowing there are others that have amputations that live fullfilling lives might help you and your dad know that he can to. Once your dad heals I would say his chances of being able to wear a prosthesis are very high as long as he has no other medical problems that would keep him from doing so. He should also be able to do all that he did before the amputation and should be able to keep up with his grandkids. I have a friend who is a diabetic and an amputee and he is pretty active he said he still hunts for turkey every year in his home in West Virginia and when he is here in Florida in the winter months he says he stays pretty active, I would guess he is in his early to mid 60's. Blood sugar control is very important and keeping an eye on his sound leg and his residual limb will be a plus for him. I hope this helps you and please keep us posted on how he is doing. Of course if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Brenda

Renee,

You don't say whether your dad is an above or below the knee amputee. If he is a below the knee there is no reason he will not recover completely and quicker than he might think, barring any other medical problems.

On September 14th 2001 here in America they asked everyone to light a candle for the victims of 9/11. I did, and it burned my house down. I broke my ankle getting my dad out of the house. It became infected and 19 months later, after trying to save my ankle, I had my lower right leg amputated below the knee on February 10, 2003. After not walking for over 19 months, I was walking again by Easter of 2003.

Once he is able get him online to read all the wonderful posts here and other support sites..You won't get any better advice than from actual people who have been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt..

SusanT

Renee,

I, too, am glad you found this site. It is VERY helpful. If you get discouraged, or frustrated, just vent here, there will be SOMEONE who can relate! As for now, the healing time, I would suggest you get some videos and books that will show your dad how active he can be again, and how much active life he has left. I found the book and video put out by the Sabolich people in Oklahoma City to be VERY helpful. There is a book, called "You are not alone", with stories from lots of different amputees. The video REALLY helped me too, has stories from several amputess, including some men your dads age, showing how active they can be with the prosthetic. A GOOD prosthetist and physical therapist is the key now. To get the video and book I told you about go to the "scott sabolich" website, punch that in your search engine. THey are prosthetists in OK, in the USA, but the packet they send you can be encouraging no matter who you see to get walking again.

Hang in there...this year may just be the year your dad learns a new way to live life, but it doesnt have to be a negative thing. Remind him that he has lots of *little* reasons to get up and walking again! (grandbabies are good motivators!)

Judy

Hi renee,

Sorry to hear about your dad. I have been an above the knee amputee for 45 years, losing my leg when I was 4. I have met a lot of recent amputees the same age as your dad at the limb centre and the biggest hurdle is getting over the healing process, physically and mentally, but once they are over that they come on very well. I am well used to mine now although I would like to throw it far enough sometimes. I sit on a 'bucket' as I only have a short stump and walk with it straight. He will probably feel very depressed initially but ensure him that it does get better. Maybe he can join our forum cos there's a lot of us out their facing the same problems.

I keep saying the word DETERMINATION but that is really the the only way to go on. What other options are there anyway?

By the way the thing I most wanted to do is wear a kilt......yeah you've guessed it....I'm from edinburgh in scotland....and don't mention our football team ...pleeese

love

ken

Hi Renee, :D

My name is Vicki Williams from Australia, My daughter Niki , had a car accident about 20mths ago. Niki lost her right leg below the knee.

Its very hard , for us to watch someone we love go through this, You must love your dad so much, if there is anything i can help with, please ask. I did the same thing as you and joined the forum, and would tell Niki about it, then Niki joined , fill yourself with all the info you can, it helps so much when you know a bit . You will find all the answers you need here and you will realise , that you and dad , are not alone, we are all here for you both, Good luck and keep intouch,

:D Love always, Vicki and Niki Williams

"CONGRATULATIONS TO THE HEATHER MILLS FORUM "500 MEMBERS THAT,S JUST GREAT! MATE.

Hi, Renee,

My sister is diabetic and an amputee, also, and I know what you are going through as a family member.

I can tell you that the grandchildren's company will help his spirits a lot during the healing process.

If you haven't already visited it, try http://www.amputee-coalition.org to see if they have some peer support in your area.

Feel free to email me if you need to vent.

Eileen

I lost my leg when I was 3. Dispite this I hike, bike ski, est. Infact I'm working to become a ski instrutor and will be taking a test in May.

Your dad's life is far from over. He can still have a fully active life. Don't let him get down. Keep him playing with his grandkids. Make him feel needed and wanted.

Good luck\

Eric