Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2007 Review

Sounds like you are all having a great time - I'm sorry I can't be there.

keep us all posted with piccies please.

Sue

Here is Marcia and Ron at the Salsa Dance Workshop having some fun with their Dance partners.

post-53-1182025487_thumb.jpg

Official 2007 Group Picture (From left to right)
eddie103, Don, krazy1200, HipHop, JohnnyV, Neal, Kep, SusanI, mmarie, cherylm, nann, and Higgy

post-53-1182025935_thumb.jpg

Gosh Johnny, you coulda picked one where I wasn't trying to get Jon's attention. I knew when that camera snapped it was going to come back to haunt me..

For everyone else, here are who we have seen so far,

Johnny,

Neal

Marcia and Don

Cheri

Karen

Skully, Mark, and Barb

Cheryl

Hip Hop-- Brook

Kep

Judy and Robert

Susan

Fivestring Cooper

Amy is still MIA-- :huh: Amy, where are you?

If there is someone I've missed, I'm sorry.... Sometimes, with everything going on, it's hard to keep track..

Wish more of you could of been here... It's great to put faces to the names on the forum..

Tonight is dance, and if we're lucky we might get another picture to post....

The Official 2007 Ottobock sponsored group photo.
Back Row
Nann, eddie103, mmarie, HipHop, Higgy, Cherylm, Krazy1200, Cheri, Patrick, Neal, Bob, Don
Front Row
skully cat, fivestringcooper, Kep, JohnnyV, JudyH

post-53-1182056976_thumb.jpg

Gosh, it was great fun seeing everyone again- just like a family reunion! Also great to meet the newbies! I had my sister and niece with me, plus a cousin who lives in Atlanta came in for lunch, so I wasn't able to attend all the gatherings of the group, but I'm happy for the time I had with all of you!

Tammie & Jon--I didn't get a hug good bye!! :( Glad I sat by you guys at the dance, but I didn't know you weren't joining us in the bar afterwards- where all my good-bye's took place!! I'll miss you guys!! Love all your funny stories!

Neal & Patrick- you are both awesome- BUT- do not mess with my crutch "settings" again, or I will hunt you down! :lol: I know you guys are right, but I changed them as soon as I got back to the room that night. Plus, Dr. Childress likes the way I walk- so there! :P

Marcia, you sweetheart- who knew you could boogie like that?!?! I'm glad you didn't get stuck down on the floor that time! :lol: If it wasn't for Don, I probably wouldn't have gotten out there to dance- he's the best and he knows how to make the women sweat! B)

Brook- thanks for the segway lesson- even tho I didn't move more than a few inches on it, it was fun to try- thanks for your encouragement! I think you and Neal were the only ones I didn't get to dance with, so get ready for next year!

JohnnyV- awesome as always- thanks for getting us all together (even when we don't all attend-sorry!!)

Cherylm- great job on the dance floor, hope you enjoyed your first conference!

Nann- so great to see your sweet smiling face again this year!

Judy- the woman who couldn't stop smiling!! So great to see you and Bob so happy together!

Skully, Mark, Kep, fivestring, and Susan- nice to meet you and will have to spend more time with all of you next year, as our paths didn't cross much this time around- but you all looked like you were having a blast!

Okay everybody, listen up..... Karen won 2nd place (AK's) in the 5K!!!! Way to go sister!! So very proud of you, wish I could have been there to help cheer you on, but it sounds like Neal did an awesome job of supporting you along the way!! Oh- and Karen did this with only 2 hours of sleep- extra awesome girlfriend! ;)

I could go on and on... You are all AWESOME people and wonderful, true friends and I look forward to next year!

Love to all,

Cheri

P.S. Cat, Ruth & Mel- get ready for some visitors... B)

Well, it's time for a wrap of this year..

Today, Cheri, Neal, Nann, and I'm not sure who else have gone..

Judy was taken to the hospital last night after the medical director of the ACA suggested she go, because of an inflamed spot on her remaining leg...After talking with her this morning, she was still waiting on a second IV and wound cleaning... and waiting.....

Judy, we wish you a well and speedy recovery...Hope you are home safe and sound soon...

Our own Skully Cat, ran in Bob Gailey's Gate Training Seminar... Job well done Lady!

Kep, Susan and Eddie, glad to have met all of you finally.... anyone else, I might of forgotten, I'm sorry, my brain and body are tired...

As for anyone else remaining, we have pretty much said the rest of our good byes.... A good time was had by all, new friendships made and old ones renewed...

All are looking forward to next year.....

Here is Marcia and Ron at the Salsa Dance Workshop having some fun with their Dance partners.

I'm in that picture too with my dance partner Arlene.

Neal & Patrick- you are both awesome- BUT- do not mess with my crutch "settings" again, or I will hunt you down! :lol: I know you guys are right, but I changed them as soon as I got back to the room that night. Plus, Dr. Childress likes the way I walk- so there! :P

Okay everybody, listen up..... Karen won 2nd place (AK's) in the 5K!!!! Way to go sister!! So very proud of you, wish I could have been there to help cheer you on, but it sounds like Neal did an awesome job of supporting you along the way!! Oh- and Karen did this with only 2 hours of sleep- extra awesome girlfriend! ;)

I'm sorry about the crutches. At least we had both crutches at the same level. You are awesome even if you use your crutches improperly. I hope you get your new leg soon.

I was so proud of Karen. She did that race with her ever present smile. For those of you not there. The 5K was a three lap circuit that entailed climbing a 3-4 block long 25-30 degree hill. It hurt me to watch them go up that hill.

HURRAY for Karen!!!!!!

I'm having withdrawals already.

I wanna come toooo!!

I am so glad you are all together and the traditions we started last year are continuing.

We are watching for each post and wondering how you are all doing.

I hope before the end you post a picture of you all having a margarita for me.

Love you heaps

Ruth

I'm sorry Ruth. Tammie, Marcia and I talked about having a glass of wine and a margarita for you two, but sadly we forgot. Rest assured that you two were never forgotten. We thought of you each day and a little something special will be coming your way.

Love to you both.

Well, it's time for a wrap of this year..

Today, Cheri, Neal, Nann, and I'm not sure who else have gone..

Judy was taken to the hospital last night after the medical director of the ACA suggested she go, because of an inflamed spot on her remaining leg...After talking with her this morning, she was still waiting on a second IV and wound cleaning... and waiting.....

Judy, we wish you a well and speedy recovery...Hope you are home safe and sound soon...

Our own Skully Cat, ran in Bob Gailey's Gate Training Seminar... Job well done Lady!

Kep, Susan and Eddie, glad to have met all of you finally.... anyone else, I might of forgotten, I'm sorry, my brain and body are tired...

As for anyone else remaining, we have pretty much said the rest of our good byes.... A good time was had by all, new friendships made and old ones renewed...

All are looking forward to next year.....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:) You guys did a wonderful job keeping the rest of the forum included in your trip...loved the pictures, especially the group one @ the end. Did Jon take it??? Didn't see him in it ,so therefore decided he was the one taking it.

The scooter that Nann was using....was it hers, or did she rent it there? That would help me out alot rather than doing alot of the walking. I don't remember Nann or Patrick from the forum...are they on it?? Just being inquisitive as usual. :)

JUDY!!!!! hope you get to feeling better soon & are able to to home soon. From the look on your face you had a good time though.

NEAL!!! what's this about Cheri's crutches???

Judy was released from the Atlanta hospital Sunday morning. She, Bob and her daughter loaded the cars and headed to Michigan to seek additional medical attention. She is quite scared as this sore is similar to the one she had that took her leg. It raised it's ugly head and got worse very quickly. She wasn't at all happy with the care she was getting in Atlanta. She was on IV antibiotics all night. They sent her home with oral antibiotics to take before she gets into a medical facility in Michigan.

My thoughts are with you Judy. I hope you have something good to report soon.

Love

Neal

NEAL!!! what's this about Cheri's crutches???

Pat Lott, a promising new member to the forum, and I thought that Cheri's crutches were too tall and the grips were way too tall. Her arms never straightened out and the tops were right in her pits. We proceeded to lower everything to where my PT told me they were supposed to be. She looked a lot more comfy to us, but she has always used them as they were. We were doing this in the bar while under a little influence of a proper alcoholic beverage. This was also the night of the dinner/dance.

I will add that Cheri had quite the stylish crutches, black with leopard grips and arm rests. She did a hell of a job dancing with them too.

Sorry Cheri!! Love ya.

Thanks for the update on Judy, Neal. I hope and pray she heals very quickly.

We (Don & I) arrived home about 4:00PM this afternoon and absolutely had the best time ever. It was great to meet all the newbies and see old friends.

Congrats to Karen for coming in 2nd in the race. I'm so proud of you. And to think when Don & I left the bar at 1:00AM you were STILL there! What a woman :D . I'm hoping to see you before too long.

Like you, Neal, I'm already having withdrawals. What a wonderful group we are. I hope even more of us get to come next year. I think we've become a force to be reckoned with!

Cat and Ruth, we thought of you every day. Your ears had to be burning because we talked about you a lot!

To our fearless leader, JohnnyV. Thanks for everything. You're the best.

I can't remember who asked, but Patrick is not a forum member. He was just hanging with us a lot. Don't know how he got in the picture and Jon (Tammie's husband) didn't :blink:

What else can I say....it was fun, fun, fun.

I wanted to add that it was an honor to meet the legendary Ed. There's no one quite like him.

Eddie, your wife is lovely. Hope to see you all again.

Hey, wait a minute... That's not me in the pictures. It has to be an imposter. :ph34r: After all, I'm much better looking and younger than that fellow!!!!!!!! B)

Seriously, it was my pleasure, honor, and priviledge to meet all of yall. Thanks for welcoming me into the group and for all the help everyone gave me.

Looking forward to the next time.

Yes, it was nice meeting Ed and Kep wasn't it.......Kep, it takes some getting used to the "rowdy" bunch in this group... (Long story, but that all got started in Minnesota with Cat) Hope we didn't frighten you too bad..

Who would of been the person at fault if Cheri had an accident while driving her crutches, who would of been responsible for the DUI, Neal and Patrick?

Karen, once again, awesome job!!! We had the chance to see her smiling face when she came back into to lobby after the race...And just learning to run the prior day along with Skully Cat..(good job Skully, I knew you could do it) That's fantastic, it has to be a lot harder for you to run than it is for a BK.. (psst, you have to watch out for Marcia, she might give YOU a name since you won :lol: :lol: :lol: ) We need to watch out for Marcia and award her the best boogie queen award!

As for the photo, Ann, Jon wasn't taking the picture, a professional did (at least, I think he was) and your right, Jon should of been in it.. What most people don't realize and Jon never says, is that he is a partial foot amputee. Has been for 21 years.. He just doesn't consider himself an amputee.. He says it doesn't count, it's not like ours...Although, he is as much a member of this group as anyone. He reads the posts too, and keeps track of all of you, as well....

Cheri, sorry, I didn't know you were flying out so early,(I'm sorry) and to put it point blank, we were just too pooped to pop, so when the dance was over, we went on up to our room. It seemed like there was so much to do, and it was timed exactly to keep you busy from sun up to sun up!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, sometimes, health issues have to take priority...(Jon).

I am glad to catch up with all of you, and sorry to see so many of you go home..

We arrived home about the same time as Marcia and Don, but farm priorities keep me from getting back here until now....

Hey Johnny....... did you survive George's party?

Looking forward to next year already....

Hey, wait a minute... That's not me in the pictures. It has to be an imposter. :ph34r: After all, I'm much better looking and younger than that fellow!!!!!!!! B)

Seriously, it was my pleasure, honor, and priviledge to meet all of yall. Thanks for welcoming me into the group and for all the help everyone gave me.

Looking forward to the next time.

Yes Kep, that nice looking man was you in the picture... It was a pleasure meeting you too. I wish that we had gotten to know each other a little better too... Maybe next year...Hope to hear from you often on here!

Sorry Cheri!! Love ya.

No need to apologize Neal! I know you had my best interest at heart, it's just that old habits die hard! No worries, it was fun! Love ya back! :)

Did Jon take it??? Didn't see him in it ,so therefore decided he was the one taking it.

I went to Jon immediately after our photo was taken and scolded him for not joining us! He is the most humble man, I swear. He will definitely be in next year's photo!!

Hello Everyone...Another fantastic ACA Conference in Atlanta. It was great. Below is an email from Paddy Rossbach, President & CEO of the ACA with a recap of attendeance (over 800!!!). I hope more of you can make the 2008 ACA Conference in Atlanta in June, 2008.

JohnnyV

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

In a message dated 6/18/2007 12:09:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, prossbach@amputee-coalition.org writes:

Thank you all for coming to our conference, and for your various roles. I hope your return flights were uneventful.

Thought you might like to know where we ended up in terms of overall numbers: we had 818 registrants from 42 states and 7 countries! Judging by the comments, the conference seemed to be extremely successful. The new programs were very well received and attended, and as everyone was filling in their evaluations, I believe we will be able to learn even more about what the attendees like, dislike and would like to see in the future.

Again thanks for all your support. Paddy

Paddy Rossbach RN

President & CEO

Amputee Coalition of America

900 East Hill Avenue, Suite 205

Knoxville TN 37915

WOW!!!!!!!!

This "newbie" had a fabulous time! Anyone who's not attended before simply MUST start saving for next year... this is one amazing event!

First off, there is absolutely nothing to compare with the emotions that come with being in a gathering of almost 900 amputees... for the run of the conference, it was the ABs who were in the minority, and WE were the "norm!" It was the nicest group of folks you could ever hope to meet... and the HMM crowd was SUPER! It was sooo nice to be able to put names, voices, and faces together... and it was interesting, in this world where we have so many warnings about people who present themselves as "someone other than who they are" online, just how very REAL the whole gang was... the folks you know from the Forum ARE the real goods, and a fun and fabulous crowd!

The sessions I attended were great, and I wish I could've cloned myself so I could've been in two (or more!) places at once. (If I'd been able to have a cherylm clone go do my sleeping for me, I'd have kept going non-stop!)

Highlights for me included Bob Gailey's Mobility Clinic... not just for what I learned myself (which was MASSIVE) but for the opportunity to see folks improve their walking, and even start to run, right before my eyes. (Go, Skully Cat!!) The Gait Analysis sessions were also fascinating, and I learned a lot and got some helpful hints there. Then there was the Swim Clinic: I've been able to get IN the pool with no problems for well over a year now... but NOW I can also swim with a kick that actually DOES something, and I can get OUT of the pool without risking life and limb!

Johnny, thanks for being such a great "host" and trying to ride herd on this gang... Nann, it was fun having you as my "roomie" Thurs - Sat... and Susan, I'm sooo glad we had a chance to hang out on Sunday; it was really great getting to know you!

Neal and Don, thanks for being my "dance partners"... I'm sure I was a challenge as a partner, and I so appreciate you two putting up with me. You're a couple of real gentlemen, with a great sense of humor, to boot! Jon, it was good to meet you... I love your quiet, sly sense of humor... you and Tammie make a grand pair.

Marcia (you sweetie!), Cheri, and Karen, you are all three completely cool nuts! (And yes, Marcia deserves the "disco queen" award!) Skully and Mark, it was swell and I hope I'll be seeing you again next year... Judy, it was great meeting you in person and getting to know Bob; you take GOOD care of yourself, now!

Jerry, Ed, and Brook, I wish I'd been able to spend more time and get to know you better... you all three seem like great guys.

And Tammie... what can I say? Thanks soooooo much for encouraging me to come, advising me on procedures, reminding me of deadlines, and generally helping me "navigate" such a massive event! I enjoyed our chances to talk and wish we could have had more time together to continue some of our conversations.

I'm starting to plan for next year... hope my finances and work schedule will cooperate, because I REALLY want to go again! To anyone who thinks that they may have even the slightest interest in attending: Make a commitment and go, go, GO next year! I guarantee that you won't regret it... in fact, I guarantee that you'll have the time of your life!

Okay... off to drop off my little "disposable digital" camera for processing... if I have something good to add to the great pics already here, I'll post!

Cheryl, I'm so glad you had a good time! I truly hope you can work it out to attend next year, because I WILL be there! My life has to settle down some!

Thanks to the folks who went and shared their experiences here on the discussion group. I almost feel like I was there -- and I can't wait to REALLY be there!

I had a nice time, learned a ton. Met some super great folks. Mark enjoyed himself and said he learned as well.

Thanks for the cheers to run, I of course cryed.

It was ten tons off my shoulders, I was able to loosen up after that.

Thanks for your kindness, compasion and kicks in the ass.

Skully Cat