Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

ACA Conference 2007 Review

Well I had a great time, even tho, I didn't attend too many seminar, old habits are hard to break. I wish I could have talked to Ruthie. Since it was my first conference, I kinda of laid back. I'm so glad that I got to meet everyone, Now I can match faces with personalities. It sure was great to meet Kep, Higgy.Skulley Cat, Cherly, John, Hip-hop, Mary.... WOW, I'll be there next year, That's for sure. Jerry

:blush::blush::blush:

Aww, shucks ma'am, it weren't nothing... The only thing that I done Cheryl,was try to help you avoid any mistakes that as a first year attendee, I made. When it is the first time, you want to go to everything, and it's basically impossible. It's hard to know which to sort out. I still have to pick and choose sometimes.

And by the way, I saw you walking too, and saw the happiness on your face after Bob Gailey's clinic..

It was a look of joy!! It's amazing how he can break something down, to make it all come together so easily, isn't it..

The biggest problem with these conferences, is that is hard to get everything in...

If we had longer days, or everyone agreed to forget about sleep, we'd have it made!!!

No matter what, it was an awesome time....

Don't forget the pit guys. We had a lot of fun in the pit. I think it was Friday night, we were all imbibing our favorite spirit in the pit when someone noticed that all the BKs present had unlocked their legs and removed our sore stumpies. You can see that in one of the pics of me above. We all had a good laugh at that. Another night when KEP stayed to have a drink, we had to lower him into the pit as there was no ramp. I guess Don lowered him in by himself, but after a beer or two or maybe three, it took three of us to get him out. LOL. KEP and I are smokers so I got to know him better. I appreciate that as he has a story to tell. He is a very quiet man. I hope to see you again next year, maybe with legs.

It was especially exciting to see Skully overcome some of her obstacles and meet her demons head on. She had a good support team with her. I was very happy to meet Mark and Barbara. You keep her in tow. Thanks for including me in lunch Thursday. You go Skully. You'll do just fine. Remember to slow down.

I enjoyed everyone as usual. It was great fun to meet old friends as well as make new ones. Like Cheryl said, we are the majority at this event. It gets to be humorous to see the AB faces when they think they've been transported to a different dimension. One where everyone is an amputee.

I hope everyone can attend next year. We do have a great time. There's no pity party going on at this event. It is a good time to learn new things. You can also learn to do things better. You get to see and learn new technology as well as have a good time doing it. We never forget the good times at the end of the day.

Well, it's time for a wrap of this year..

Today, Cheri, Neal, Nann, and I'm not sure who else have gone..

Judy was taken to the hospital last night after the medical director of the ACA suggested she go, because of an inflamed spot on her remaining leg...After talking with her this morning, she was still waiting on a second IV and wound cleaning... and waiting.....

Judy, we wish you a well and speedy recovery...Hope you are home safe and sound soon...

Our own Skully Cat, ran in Bob Gailey's Gate Training Seminar... Job well done Lady!

Kep, Susan and Eddie, glad to have met all of you finally.... anyone else, I might of forgotten, I'm sorry, my brain and body are tired...

As for anyone else remaining, we have pretty much said the rest of our good byes.... A good time was had by all, new friendships made and old ones renewed...

All are looking forward to next year.....

Higgy - AS FAR AS THAT HOSPITAL WENT MY LEG IS STILL WAITING TO BE CLEANED - I did it myself when they let me out. They did do the IV antibiotics. Leg is doing very well - still some redness. Two prescriptions = $272.00 OUCH

Skully Cat - I wish that I had had a chance to meet you. I wish you the best.

Bob and I leave for Holland Michigan. He does massage therapy for the 100 mile Strides for Life.

JudyH

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound, Judy. We were all a little worried for you. Take good care of yourself. It was good to see you again and to meet Bob.

Hi all;

I must agree with all that has been said so far. This was my first time attending a conference such as this. I see no need to repeat what has been written before me ….but I do want to comment on some of the smaller……….less obvious……….I am sure …………….remarkable things………… that I witnessed that were not on the agenda of the conference…………………

I was approached at the airport by a young tri-lateral on a scooter who said that I was the first person she had ever seen to make a go of it using two arty legs……….that it was encouraging to her. Later I would see her in conversation with another tri-lateral who is successfully functioning in his state. It was important for her to see and realize that some things CAN be done. I later saw this same woman waddling around for the first time on borrowed stubbie feet…………her first time vertical!!!

I saw a multitude of one legers realize that they could and indeed did run!

I watched a young woman (tri-lateral) learn how to get back into her wheelchair for the first time in her life after being shown a way by one of the “star” amputees.

I and watched and learned from a “star” amputee who is built like I am…………..only to realize that I still have a long way to go………..but soooooooooooooo much is still possible. I now have a new set of goals and challenges ton address.

………………oh yes………………..I watched Johnny V’s response while he was on the dance floor with the little dancer in the black dress………….(displaying much interested!)

I will say though that no matter how long one has been an amp, one will learn something, sometime during a conference like this and I would encourage anyone to attend one.

ED

………………oh yes………………..I watched Johnny V’s response while he was on the dance floor with the little dancer in the black dress………….(displaying much interested!)

You have a lovely wife Eddie, who I had the pleasure of being asked if a wanted to dance, so I couldn't in my right mind, turn her down. I guessed that she was trying to push your botton to get you up on the dance floor and it worked. You had some glare in your eys, when I returned her to you. Be careful eddie, I am a single man again. Just kidding. LOL Glad that you both joined us this year and that you got so much out of the convention. Hope that we will see you again.

It sounds so much fun I wish I could have been there. Having read your posts I have 'suggested' a couple of times to my husband that maybe I could have a little trip to Atlanta next year but so far it is like talking to a brick wall except I think a brick wall would be less negative :D

I'm glad you all had such a great time.

Sue

Jerry, thanks for the "hotel shots"... I was so busy (and so limited in space on my "disposable digital") that I didn't even get all the PEOPLE I wanted to! Going over my shots last night, I was sorry I didn't have a couple of good "hotel/atmosphere" pictures.

You just helped my photo album immensely!

Hi Everyone,

I just got home from Hickory NC tonight, where I went to visit a Labbie friend of mine after the conference. I am wiped but had a great time!

I apologize for not spending tons of time with you guys, but as some of you know my prothetist sponsored me and I was there with my physical therapist and Dennis OD who got a much deserved award from ACA!

I missed a lot of the conference as I didn't get there til Friday early afternoon, and needed to spend some time at the Benchmark booth, but Bob Gailey on Saturday was certainly a highlight for me! I was fortunate to work with Francois from Ossur....he was super and I also attempted the run! I was petrified and excited at the same time and fed off the adrenaline in the room! WOW! Gailey puts on quite a show! Now i just have to discipline myself to work harder more consistantly so I can continue to improve my walking.

Johnny, thanks for making me feel comfortable at lunch on Friday and on several other occasions, and Cheryl, it was great rooming with you on Sunday and swimming with you and going to the Peer Training with you on Monday.

Tammy, we couldn't train with Charlie, but Laura was very good.

It was great meeting the rest of you all.....Tammie & Jon, HipHop (who my therapist loved working with), Scully Cat, Neal, Nann, Marcia and Don, Ed, Jerry, Cheri and anyone else I missed!

And congrats to Karen for coming in 2nd in the race!

Hugs,

Susan :)

I was just sitting here wishing I had a couple of those cookies that we had at lunch on Friday.

I was just sitting here wishing I had a couple of those cookies that we had at lunch on Friday.

Weren't those awesome?? :)

They were, indeed, most excellent cookies!

Is anyone else still going through "conference withdrawl?" I'm glad to be back home (and ALMOST over the jet-lag!), but I find myself thinking about the conference and all the things I learned and all the cool people I met... it really was a GREAT "alternate reality!"

They were, indeed, most excellent cookies!

Is anyone else still going through "conference withdrawl?" I'm glad to be back home (and ALMOST over the jet-lag!), but I find myself thinking about the conference and all the things I learned and all the cool people I met... it really was a GREAT "alternate reality!"

I'm definitely going thru withdrawal. There is so much to learn and so many people to visit with there. Even tho I get so much out of all the sessions I attend at the conference, the friendships are absolutely the best. Where else can you go and sit with your leg off while enjoying a drink and good conversation? I miss everyone and am already looking forward to next year.

Good evening everyone,

I am new here, but I know Neal from Myspace. I just want to let you all know that I have read every post from the ACA. It sounds like everyone had a blast. wish I had known about it alot sooner, but I didn't even know anything about the ACA till Neal talked to me about it. Anyways, all your posts made me feel warm, and fuzzy all over, LOL.. I can not wait till I get nice and warm into this group. For those that has welcomed me already, THANK YOU! for those I haven' talked to, I look forward to it..

Samuel

Maybe you can join us next year Sam. Our evening sessions are the best. LOL

what do you mean evening sessions? here on the board? what time? I will be here, just give me a time. Hopefully we will get to go to ACA 08..

Sam, Neal's talking about his "favorite place" at the conference.... we named it "the pit" and it was our gathering place whenever someone just wanted to "hang out" for a while, either in-between or after the OFFICIAL ACA sessions. A quiet little "offshoot" of the main bar (at least it was quiet when we weren't there!), it was a fine spot to just relax and have an "evening session!"

Hope you CAN join us there next year!

This is the first time on this sight...I just wanted to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome...I had a WONDERFUL time and have lots of memories....I hope to return in 2008...Jon and Tammie, I will be down this summer...the drive is only 4-5 hours...BMT Barb

oh i c, sound like a kool place, with some kool people.. I also hope I ge to join you next year for ACA 08. I also wanna say A BIG THANX to everyone who has made me feel so welcome..

Good evening,

I just need to say this first, I only know Neal from Myspace. I don't know him personally.. I wish I did, LOL. He sounds like a kool guy. I am an avid wrestling fan, so this is soooo easy, I would have to say John Cena, and Triple H.

Now I got the next question...

Is vince Mcmahon really dead?

This is the first time on this sight...I just wanted to thank everyone for making me feel so welcome...I had a WONDERFUL time and have lots of memories....I hope to return in 2008...Jon and Tammie, I will be down this summer...the drive is only 4-5 hours...BMT Barb

Welcome to the site Barb.....

For those of you who don't know who Barb is, she is Skully's friend. She is also a nurse. She is here because she works the BMT (bone marrow transplant) ward of a cancer floor. ( At least, I think I got that right...BARB.... help). Anyway, she is here to hang out, ask questions and gather information to help people that she deals with at work... I had the chance to meet her, as did some of the other members who went to the conference, and I'm glad that I did..

Anytime you have a question, just ask... Someone will surely answer...... they always do.....

As for coming down, your welcome anytime, just let us know if advance, so that we will for sure be here! Wouldn't want you to make the drive and not be here.I hear you are a farm girl at heart too!

G'day Barb, welcome to the forum.

Any friend of Tammie and Jon's is a friend of mine......be afraid :P .be very afraid :D