Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ebtalley

Amputee book - an idea

So I have been thinking about working on a photobook with amputees as the main focus. Since I have been thrust into this new world I thought that I could try to make something of it. I want to capture the beauty of the person who has been dealt a terrible blow and has learned to stand tall and smile again. I figure it would be a mix of color/b&w, semi-nude and clothed, young and old, studio work and candid photographs and of course a few self portraits thrown in.

Im not recruiting anybody here online or anything, just sharing an idea about a project that I have been thinking about for the past month. Its going to be a while before Ill have the gear I need to make this happen. I havent really focused on portrait photography, mainly because lighting is everything and I dont want to spend the money to do it right but Ill keep you guys posted as the project comes into fruition.

Sounds like you are coming back to life. I think a book of your inspirations is a terrific idea. I for one, wouldn't want to be a subject of notice just because I lost a leg, but that is just me. I'm sure that there are many out there who would might share your idea however. As you mentioned, you aren't soliciting here, but I am sure that there are hospitals and CP's who could put you in touch with those interested.

Go for it - and good luck.

Eric, I think that is an awesome idea.. Being at this conference is something that a person has to experience to really understand.. You see so many people, from all walks of life, dealing with all sorts of amputations and disabilities.. But, I'll tell you this, you will never see a group of people that try hard, are more friendly and have such huge hearts...

As for the solicitation, if someone is interested, instead of you asking on the forum, it is their choice to p.m. you and then things are left entirely up to the two of you...

As Jim said, it sounds as if you are coming back to life...fantastic

Yeah that sounds like a great idea. If done properly it could turn out to be pretty inspirational to new amputees, seeing established amputees smiling and doing what they enjoy with their prosthesis on, good luck and I would love to be a part of it, if you wish :D

Exactly! I want to show amputees as attractive, active people. Not someone to be felt sorry for but to be envied. This is something that will be a long term project while I continue my recovery but when Im ready to start working on it I will definitely keep you posted for ideas and help.

Guest bearlover

I would not want any attention or special attention because of my amputation. or feel I'm special because I have over came so much. That was just what life handed me .Some people have been through a lot worse...But good luck to you if that is what you want to do then go for it.! :)

It sounds as if there is alot of mixed feelings on this issue.. i do think that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I think it sounds like a great idea as far as putting it out there for newer amputees getting in touch with us oldies.. I hope it goes off with a bang! Good luck with that!

<_<

Hmmm

I have to chime in with mixed emotions as well. Of course this is my opinion and others may vary. My main concern is what hands would get ahold of this book? There are a great many devotees out in the big world that prey upon amputees. It is their own awful sickness but they can not become sexually aroused unless they are with an amp or looking and googling amp pictures. Can you say YUCK! Many have been at ACA conventions even buying tickets to get into the convention. Recall the convention does not state that you must be an amp to attend. Many family members could not attend then. Right? Right.

Just this past June in Atlanta one was caught stalking "us" and was arrested and thrown out of the hotel. It happens each time. In Boston of 2003 I believe the devotees had their convention just 2 blocks away from the ACA hotel.

I would be highly wary of producing this book. Please think twice and then twice again. I am not ashamed about my amputations not at all. And yes I have accomplished a good deal since then, not tooting my own horn here, but I do not want people stalking me either. Been there done that in another setting.

Again my opinion, get comfortable with yourself first and then see what other amps feel. Some get turned on by devotees it is their thing.

Paula

Paula,

WOW! I never thought of it that way. I never even knew of people like that. Now i am really thinking differently, and I see your point. I have never been stalked by anyone, maybe just some stares. I am glad you brought that point up..

Guest bearlover

I'm not ashamed at all of my amputation in anyway..I juts don't think I want to be told about in a book, when their are may other peole with far more worse things in life. I was never one for the look at me I went through a leg loss. or selfpity. And I was actually stalked for a few years a very seroius stalking with private detectives working on the case..We moved not because of the stalker but for a job....Well it all went when we moved some nut job must have found somone else to focus on. :lol:

Im still set to work on it as a project over the next year. I think it is all in the execution of the images and what kind of story is being told. I dont want to make some taudry skin magazine. The focus in my mind is a book of people doing the things they enjoy most with a smile on their faces. The only semi nude photos Im thinking of putting in the project so far is of myself, cause Im damn sexy! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid I'm with Paula. :(

I'd worry way too much who was buying the book and why.

I also totally understand why someone might want to do the book though.

We should be able to celebrate our lives, who we are and our acheivements without worrying about this stuff.

Makes me angry :angry:

Eric, I'm also of two minds... but I'm inclined to go with the one that says, "go for it!" It does anger me that we "have" to be concerned about how our lives may be viewed or our images may be used. My feeling, though, is that as long as we are meek, mild, and frightened to put ourselves out there because some dev might get their jollies from fantasizing, we're giving them WAAAAY too much power over us.

I heard rumors about the guy in Atlanta, and I'm glad he was arrested. Standing up and refusing to be intimidated by such creeps can only be good for "us" as a whole!

Even now, I would be inspired and reassured reading about and seeing other amps out there doing what they love... back in my days as a new amp, that would have been a godsend to me!

One of the things that convinced me that I'd not made the wroing decision when I told them to "take the foot" was, in fact, just such a picture: It was from an ACA conference, and it was a group shot of that year's dance. A roomful of amputees dancing, having the time of their lives... it just warmed my heart and gave me hope.

If the book is your dream, pursue it. I think it would be good for you... and I think it would manage to get to those who needed its message.