Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lynne

Trying something new

Hi Everyone,

I haven’t posted for a while, but I’m always around reading stuf,f to keep me motivated to get upright!

I still don’t have a prosthesis, things have been pretty bad for me and it has really effected me emotionally and mentally. It’s coming up to two and a half years since my amputation and I’m getting pretty fed up. I know of course that my case is not straight forward, three revisions in the first year and a diagnosis of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. (EDS)

I recently spent eleven days in hospital in a different area, having lots of tests done for the EDS. Whilst there, a prosthetist came to see me, to give a second opinion as the why I was having so much trouble getting a socket to fit.

To cut a long story short, he recommended that I have an Iceross seal in liner to contain the excess soft tissue. I now have the liner, I am wearing it without having a socket, to try to get used to it and to see if it effects my skin. I was amazed that it was so heavy! At first it gave me a rash but that seems to be getting less the more I wear it.

I have been cast for a socket and my prosthetist is trying to do a MAS! She fortunately did a training course, the day before she cast me; so I have high hopes that it is fresh in her mind! Although having read Ally’s jounal I expect it to take a while to get right!

I really do need to get a socket that I can tolerate, otherwise I am almost at the point of giving up and living life from a wheelchair.

Just thought I’d bring you up to date.

Lynnel

Best of luck Lynne, I really hope it works... if it doesn't, don't give up, there'll be a prosthetist out there somewhere that can help you...

My, you've been through a lot, Lynne! I'm glad they're still trying to come up with ways to fit you, and I wish you all the best with this one... may it finally be THE ONE!

Hi Lynne - and all the best with this new leg.

I must remind you that when I had my MAS done, I was a TOTAL guinea pig with my CP. We made every mistake in the book, and sometimes even on purpose. Since then, my CP has made a MAS in one week that fit perfectly. Please don't think that you will have all of the same problems.

However, I don't think my MAS diaries were completely in vain (or detrimental to people wanting to try one). I spoke with a lady the other day who got her first MAS and she said that some of the problems I scribed, she experienced, and that made it easier for her to explain what she was feeling when it just wasn't "right".

I adore my MAS socket. My iceross liner also gave me a bit of jib in the beginning, but seemed to all sort self out in about a month (the blisters, itching, rash, etc). Bear with it. This is a divine socket when it fits right. I am having my second one made as we speak......

Ally

xxxx

Thanks for the good wishes.

I am expecting things to take a while to get right, after all, this is the first MAS my prosthetist has attempted!

I'll keep you posted as to the progress.

Lynne

Lynne, I'm sorry that this journey has been so difficult for you. I've come to the hard-won conclusion that it is not what happens to us in this life that matters, but how we handle it.

I'm glad you are working with someone who will do her best to get you upright. I send all positive thoughts to you! :)

Hi Lynne,

I've been an amp for nearly 4 years now and have just been fitted (2 weeks ago) with what is very very similar to a MAS socket. I really love it and have had no probs at all-I also use an iceross conical liner. What a huge difference that has made, no drag, very comfortable and I wish you all the best.

I had a hell of a time getting used to the liner at first. No skin problems it just drove me crazy with what seemed like nerves jumping all over the place.

Good luck with it I hope it all works out for you

Mel

well mel,

i am just trying to get used to a suction socket....in mas style. i was always wearing before a liner with pin lock. makes big difference and i think of going back to a liner with a mas socket.

ciao thomas

Hey Lynne! Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hope everything comes together soon for you.

I, like many other AKs had a tough time in the beginning and still have those "days." The socket you are going for is a great design, when you finally get it right. Like Ally, I was a total guinea pig for my prosthetist. But, for me, the advantages definitely out-weigh the draw backs. The range of motion you'll have in the MAS is WAY better than alot of the previous designs.

Keep your chin up!! :D I'll be sending all the good vibes I can muster!!

I am picking up a new test MAS tomorrow, this time with no liner :blink: We did two fittings for this one and my CP seems to be very pleased with himself. We tried a different technique for fitting (same MAS style though).

Ah well, I love my MAS and trust my CP, so we will see how it goes.

Good luck Lynne - keep us updated.

The joys.....lawdy lawd.....the joys!!!!

:ph34r:

Thanks everyone, it's sooooo frustrating!

The test socket was quite big but because the suction of the seal in liner kept it on we proceeded to the next stage, after a few tweeks to the ear and a bit of trimming! It's a totally different feeling to anything I have tried before! Certainly far more comfortable even at that stage.

When I went back, the leg felt too big and it didn't feel right somehow. very difficult to explain but the ear seemed too high up and it was was worse for pushing my butt up much higher than my other side! I understood that the MAS socket was good for the cosmetic reasons of not doing that. I don't mind that so much, comfort is far more important, but it was really bad.

I was a little annoyed that my prosthetists response was to give up and pass me onto another prosthetist! After all it was her first attempt at the Mas and I really wasn't expecting her to get it right first time! (nor should she have expected that!) I felt like a guinea pig, so she could have a try at doing a MAS!

To cut a long story short the new guy is on holiday for two weeks and will make me a socket when he gets back. In the mean time the old prosthetsit will try to make the socket smaller! I was not recast!

Can't see it working somehow but I have no choice in the matter!

I'll keep you posted as to the progress if any.

Lynne

Hang in there, Lynne. Sometimes I think if they were in our "shoes", things would get done a little quicker. :)

Hey Lynne

Chin up, the MAS process can get quite 'messy' sometimes. As for making the socket smaller without recasting you, as a temporary measure I can see that it may be possible. They take a huge amount of measurements for the MAS, so they might be able to judge by those.

When you go for a fitting, wear the liner on your leg for as long as possible BEFORE the casting. You tend to lose a bit of volume after wearing a liner for a while, especially if you haven't worn one before. Put the liner on for an hour or so at least before they measure and cast you.

As for the 'twin buttocks'......I found that my liner pushed my butt up a bit, but I don't want it shortened as I find it quite comfy to rest on.

Good luck, and thanks for the update,

Ally

Hi Lynne,

You're right it's a huge difference going from a pin to a seal in but I actually found it wonderful once I got used to it. I felt much more connected to the ground and just better overall balance........who knows why.

When I tried my new socket i initally had it without a liner but i have a heap of trouble with skin grafts and because my balance on my good leg is lousey i found it really hard to pull myself in. So I've got my new socket........which is heaven and back with the seal in liner. It's the best thing ever and the most comfortable socket I've ever had.

Mel

Hang in there it will be worth it

Hi everyone.

I got my MAS socket last week and have been building up the amount of time I wear it. It takes some getting used to and although there are problems with it, ( it needs a few tweeks ) it is the best socket I have had. (I'm not sure its a true MAS, but it certainly is MAS like :blink: )

The problem I have is that I lose suction a lot , it seem to happen when I sit down. Luckily I have not ventured out with it on and have been able to dry my stump and liner and put it back on. it seems to be a problem with sweating and the liner slipping off. I do feel that the socket is a bit big around the point where the rubber seal is. I lose suction and fall further into the socket, which hurts a lot. When there is suction it does not feel too bad.

Any advice or tips would be great. I am at walk training tomorrow and will see what they say about it.

The sweating must gets less over time as my body adjusts? Surley :lol:

It's great to finally have a leg after all the hasstle of the past two and a half years. Even if I can only wear it for 15 minutes before losing suction :?

Lynne

Hello Lynne - it's a fabulous socket, isn't it?

This is just a 'cut-and-paste' of my reply to you on another forum. Perhaps other people can relate....

If you are losing suction and sinking too far into the socket, then the socket is too big.

Is it still a test socket?

Here is how my CP worked out exactly where the socket needed to be made smaller for me.....

He drilled about 6 to 8 holes in the socket along the length of it and around it. Then he took a giant syringe and filled up the socket with Alginate (sp?) while I was standing in it. Alginate is the same stuff that dentists use to mould teeth. Then we took to socket off, and he could see exactly where the gaps were.

Have you tried using socks? It might help in the meantime, but as this is still a new socket, it should be fitting nice and tight, and you shouldn't be having loss of suction.

You need to take a trip to your CP (after you've worn the socket for a little while) and he needs to correct it. You ARE going to experience some srinkage of your stump with this new design, so it needs to be fitting properly NOW.

As for the sweating.....yes, your body adjusts and it gets much better.

Then you replied that your CP did a re-cast and gave you a definitive socket straight off, without giving you a test socket first....

Unless she has been making MAS sockets forever and a day, I fail to see why she would cast you, and make a definitive socket, and just assume that it would fit. She made a mistake.

She must make you a new one. This one is not right. If it's hurting you after 15 minutes, you may as well tell her to stick it where the sun don't shine, and use it as a brolly stand!

Damn, I understand your frustration.

If I've said this once, I've said it a thousand times. You need to insist that you are allowed to take a re-inforced test socket home for a couple of weeks, at least 1 week. Sign an indemnity form if you have to. You need to walk in the socket to determine whether it's going to work for you or not. DO NOT take a definitive socket without having used a test socket that you are completely happy with. Not ever!

Eish, my aching petunia. I really wish you all the best. Stand your ground. You need a socket that's right. Particularly a MAS. It hurts like blazes if it's not 100% right.

Ally

xxxx

PS : Sorry for the rant, but it really irks me when this kind of thing happens. We have enough to worry about as it is. This is not right.

Thanks for the rant Ally :D

I am still struggling on with the socket and losing suction.

I mentioned it to my CP and she says she did do a test socket, but I don't remember her doing that the second time around. Oh well, we will have to agree to disagree :unsure:

I still feel the socket is too big, although it is a good fit around the top. I lose suction all the time, and drop further into the socket, so much that my stump hurts from hitting the bottom of the socket :blink:

I have followed CP's advice to add strips of sock under the seal of the liner but it is then very difficult to get into the socket because it is a good tight fit at the top. I have managed to get in but the pressure is so painful.

I will try to get an appointment to get it sorted out.

Don't hold your breath folks......I may be a while.

Lynne

Guest bearlover

Personally I like the pin system the best..I tried the seal in liner :angry: UGH it drove me completely nuts! it never worked! I had to re seal about 50x a day..after 6 months od going crazy I gave up on it and tried the pin system :) I love it, mostley I love the fact that I don't need a sleeve! So adding or taking off a sock is very easy.. :)