Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mmarie

InMotion Article by Author Forum Member jberna

I read a very good article written by Judy Berna in the latest issue of InMotion magazine. Is this OUR Judy???

Judy Berna has been on this forum, but OUR Judy is Judy Herba. Herba....Berna, common mistake. I thought the same thing at first.

I read a very good article written by Judy Berna in the latest issue of InMotion magazine. Is this OUR Judy???

What is In Motion Magazine? Is it a magazine for amputees? If so, How do I get my hands on it?

Samuel, here is a link to the ACA: http://www.amputee-coalition.org/

These people sponsor the conference as well as put out InMotion magazine. You can join the ACA for about $30 per year, and they send you the magazine. You'll also get a discount on the conference next year. Check out the website, it has tons of stuff!

Marilyn

Samuel, here is a link to the ACA: http://www.amputee-coalition.org/

These people sponsor the conference as well as put out InMotion magazine. You can join the ACA for about $30 per year, and they send you the magazine. You'll also get a discount on the conference next year. Check out the website, it has tons of stuff!

Marilyn

Marilyn,

I called the ACA today, and they have signed me up for everything. I will be getting the InMotion magazine, and all kinds of reading materials. I will be paying my fees in the next 4 weeks. we will be moving sometime this next 2 to 3 weeks, cause our landlord doesn't want to fix anything in our house, and it has rained like 20 straight days, and it is flooded under our house, and it has brought a foul odor, bugs, etc.. My wife killed 3 spiders while i was in hospital, and I can't afford my wife, or lil one being hurt. Anyways, I just thought I would let you know!

Samuel

Marilyn,

I called the ACA today, and they have signed me up for everything. I will be getting the InMotion magazine, and all kinds of reading materials. I will be paying my fees in the next 4 weeks. we will be moving sometime this next 2 to 3 weeks, cause our landlord doesn't want to fix anything in our house, and it has rained like 20 straight days, and it is flooded under our house, and it has brought a foul odor, bugs, etc.. My wife killed 3 spiders while i was in hospital, and I can't afford my wife, or lil one being hurt. Anyways, I just thought I would let you know!

Samuel

Cool! Glad I could help...

Good luck with the move -- I HATE moving!

Hello...I am Judy Berna....not 'your' Judy, Judy Herba...but I have to say it made me sad that I am no longer 'your Judy".......I spent a lot of time on this forum a few years ago, when I was first deciding about my amputation and then during my recovery. I have a deep fondness for the people here and still come check in every now and then.

This is such a unique place and I do miss not hanging with you guys more often. The sad/happy truth of it is, once I got my surgery and then got going on my new leg, I dont have time for the computer anymore. I get to my personal email every day, but any 'other' computer stuff has fallen by the wayside. I have more energy now, with my new leg, and spend my time playing outside with my four kids, or working on house projects, or volunteering at my kids school....you get the idea.

I was surprised to see my article published in inMotion Magazine. I had sent it in but had no word that it was being published. I hoped it would mean something to other amputee, esp those of us who 'got' to choose our amputations. It is a principal I deeply believe in so wrote an article about it.

I am glad this posting got more people informed about the magazine. I love every issue and it makes me feel connected to my amputee community.

So, although I am no longer 'your judy', I am still here, every now and then, and do care about you all still...will forever be grateful for your support and friendship.

Send me a personal message if anyone wants to contact me quickly, on any subject.

The best to you ALL....

"The other Judy"

LBK

now New York (used to be Utah)

Contrary to what Neal said, when I said "our Judy" I meant you, Judy Berna. I KNOW who Judy Herba is. She's our Judy too. The article was great and I'm glad you're doing so well. Drop in and say hi when you can. :)

Your post has inspired me to check in here more often....it reminds me of the great people I always find here.

Even if I have not been around lately, I constantly recommend this site to other amputees and families I find along the way. It is a huge help to any amputee or their family, on so many topics.

Keep up the great work, guys (and girls!)

Judy

LBK

NY

post-53-1184376427_thumb.jpgWelcome back Judy !!!!

Judy is and always has been an inspiration to me personally, as well as being a great contributor of this wonderful forum. (Check out who started the topic "Everyones story" in the "Introductions Forum". None other than... Now she is a contributing editor of in-Motion magazine. The girl is truly talented and has a lot of good energy to be around, even via the Internet.

I was very fortunate to finally get to meet and spend a short time with this wonderful lady when I went up to the NY state capital in Albany to knock on some doors about the needed and necessary parity legislation that would force Insurance companys to provide adequate prosthetic coverage for people with limb loss. Judy had to leave real quick to get home to one of her kids that was home sick, but I hope that our paths cross again at some time in the future. Hey Judy; do you want to go water sking on a Gaylord Sports Association adventure next Saturday the 21st?

Attached please find a picture that Judy sent me to post on the forum that was taken of us up in Albany that day.

Thanks for the update on Judy. She's doing good things!

Here is the Judy Berna article as it appeared on page 30 & 31 of the May/June 2007 inMotion. Judy agreed to provide me with the unedited version to post. It will be like the directors cut of a movie but in this case, what the writers message was suppose to say origionally. Permission has been granted by the author to post.

Judy_Berna_article.pdf

Thanks for the pat on the back, Johnny! I enjoyed chatting with you on the phone yesterday and, as promised, popped in today to check up on the website. I will send you the unedited version of my article, which I like a lot more than the pared down one that was printed.

No, dont think I am up for water skiing this weekend.....last time I tried water skiing I drank half the lake. Snow skiing is more up my alley. I cant wait for the snow to fly around here.....

It is like coming home, to check back in with this website. Even when I dont recognize all the names, I recognize the love and support. I am so thankful there are people who keep it up and moving forward.

Now, off to check all the new postings I have missed in the past week or so....

Judy

LBK

NY

You’ve Already Lost

Exclusive unedited version by permission of Judy Berna - Author

There have been several times in the past year, my first year as an amputee, that I have been called on to speak with future amputees. It is a common practice for current amputees to give advice and counsel to future ones. It is an experience in life that can only be fully understood once it is lived first hand. There is a category of amputee that is seldom recognized. I call them elective amputees. They are people who have injuries that don’t heal, infections that won’t clear up. A doctor finally tells them to think about amputating the limb. Because I chose my own amputation, my prosthetist calls me in, to talk to these people. It is very hard to wake up from a car accident with a missing limb. It is a different kind of terrible to make the decision yourself, having the option to go on living with a non-working foot or to have a doctor cut it off. These soon-to-be amputees have a lot of the same questions I had before my surgery. They want to know about pain - surgery and phantom. They want to know about the hardware, how an artificial leg really feels on your body. Mostly they want to know about quality of life. They ask specific questions, usually starting with, “will I still be able to…?”

My gut answer is that quality of life depends on you. If you are patient with healing time after the surgery, and are willing to work hard at the gym once you have your new leg, you can reach just about any goal you desire. There are amputees out there who have climbed mountains, run in marathons, swam with dolphins; you name it, they’ve done it. Occasionally someone will ask about an activity that, logistically, might be pretty hard for the average amputee.

A few weeks ago I met with a guy who asked if he could still water ski. Technically, yes. Realistically, he might need to put that hobby on the shelf. Sure, the technology is out there, to make a leg that could withstand the logistics of water skiing. But unless he is a die-hard skier, the cost and training involved will probably keep him from pursuing it. This is when I throw in the big “but…”

This is the point of our talk when I remind them of an important fact. Anything they lose from being an amputee, they probably already lost. The person with the luxury of deciding on amputation or not has usually spent a lot of time on crutches already. They have been in and out of hospitals, in and out of braces and casts. My water skiing friend lost that sport at the point of his non-healing injury. He hasn’t been able to participate in that activity for the nine years he has hobbled around on crutches. Amputation is not the reason he will probably never water ski again, his injury was.

If he can see it that way, and realize that his surgery will give him more than it will take, only then can he can see it for what it is, a chance to start again. Amputation is the answer, not the problem.

I am also asked about surgery day, how it feels to hobble into a hospital, lay down on the bed, and sign away a body part. I remind them again, they’ve already lost it. They have to lay on that surgery bed and remind themselves that what they will lose by waking up without this limb has already been lost. The freedom of mobility, already lost. The sense of feeling able bodied, already lost. The ability to run around the yard with kids or grandkids, already lost. But there is a good chance they will gain a lot more than they lose on surgery day. They will gain hope and opportunity. If they are willing to reach for it, they can feel able bodied again, with a high tech leg. If they want it bad enough, the ball is finally in their court; to jump in and play the game again is totally up to them.

People called me things like brave and strong after I decided to have my amputation. It was a risk; there is no doubt about it. But by keeping that leg that didn’t work I knew my future would definitely be a life of immobility. With a prosthetic leg there was a good chance things could improve. I preferred ‘good chance’ to definite immobility. It did take guts, it took making a hard choice, but I am no hero.

The hero is the person who lives with a life altering disability, and does it with grace. The blind woman you see at the library, devouring every Braille book she can get her hands on. The child who still smiles, while trapped in a body twisted by cerebral palsy. The deaf man who still finds a way to enjoy music. These are my heroes.

I just have a leg that snaps on in the morning. Most of my days are spent like every other two-legged person I know. Besides the occasional ‘bad leg’ days, when I need an adjustment of some kind, I don’t miss out on much in life.

As an amputee I have found a life of victory. I don’t run marathons or climb mountains but I have found success in my own way. I never think of my amputation as having lost anything. In my mind it was purely a gain.

having the option to go on living with a non-working foot or to have a doctor cut it off.

Judy, that's a great article. You pegged the reason I want my foot to go away.

Also, thanks for the pm when I joined. It definitely helps to know that the "community" I'll be joining soon has such helpful people as you.

Judy, I wish you'd written that about 2 1/2 years ago... I would have given copies to everyone who was freaking out over my decision to amputate... and I would have kept a copy for myself, for those days when it seemed like a bad decision!

Yes, what you wrote is exacly how I felt about it... and still do, for that matter. While becoming an amputee was something I didn't relish, it HAS given me back a basically normal life... and an immense amount of self-awareness and personal growth.

Thanks for letting Johnny post the "unedited" version of the article... it should be required reading for anyone having to face this decision!

Judy,

I want you to know that this is back up at a very good time. A long time friend of mine, just asked me within the last week about becoming an amputee.. The doctors have said, when the pain is too much, you will let us know it's time.....

I wanted you to know that I want her to read the article in InMotion.. I think it will ease her mind some..

Thank you for a very straightforward eloquent article..

Thanks....

Yes GREAT article. :)

As a potential elective amputee myself I have to completely agree with---- " Amputation is the answer, not the problem. " I truely believe that my mobility can and will greatly increase with amputation ;)

I just got the last 2 issues of In Motion. Judy, I promise I will read this article tomorrow. I got these issues from Sabolich's this after noon. My CP was so kind to give me these issues, and I glanced through them this evening, and I will put my nose into them.

Thanks for Judy's blog site, JV. I have been reading and enjoying.