Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gwen

New York Triathlon

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share this news with you. I registered for the NYC Triathlon (1.5km swim, 40km bike and 10km run) last November. I'm doing this triathlon as a relay and my husband will do the running. I have a skin graft so running is not the best thing for me.

I've been training very hard for the swimming and the biking in the last few months. I had to train even more for the swim as I've never been very good at freestyle. It's been awesome! I've been training with Team in Training, a great organization that raises money for Leukemia.

The NYC triathlon will be held on July 22nd! Sarah Reinertsen and other amputees who participate in ironmans and triathlons inspired me a lot!

I will keep you posted on my progress!

Gwen

Gwen,

I wish you nothing buck luck in your triathlon.. I hope what ever happens, whether it is win, or lose, you do it and HAVE FUN!!! Keep us updated.. GO GO GO!! :D

Samuel

Gwen,

Are you running to raise funds too, or is this strictly a personal effort? If you are also running for charity, please let us know if we can help.

In any case, it is more than awesome, and I wish you great success. I can't even drive 40 km without collapsing, let alone bike it. With both legs, yet!

Keep us posted.

Maryl

Hi Austin and Ali,

I finished the NYC triathlon in 3h25min! We were doing a relay with my husband. I did well on the swim (26 min) but struggled a little bit more with the bike portion...There was a mistake in the results but they should be updated later this week. It was one of the best experiences of my life! There were a lot of PC athletes in this race: Sarah Reinertsen, Paul Martin, Kelly Bruno.....(just to name a few)!

I would never have thought I could do a triathlon after I had my accident! My message to everyone is: never give up and pursue your dreams! You can do it!

Thanks for your support! :)

Gwen

Nice one, well done, proud of ya :D

Very good time for you both as well, the hard work has paid off.

What is next on the cards for you?

Nice one, well done, proud of ya :D

Very good time for you both as well, the hard work has paid off.

What is next on the cards for you?

What Ali has said.

never give up and pursue your dreams! You can do it!

Quote of the week - nice one.

Top effort Gwen...congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Gwen - When I say this, it sounds (to me) as if I'm being very sarcastic... please know that there is absolutely no sarcasm intended when I say: Someday, I hope I'm as awesome as you.

When I had two normal functioning feet, I never thought or cared about running a marathon or doing a triathlon. Now that I can't, though, I find that I really want to.

Gwen, Great Big Kudos to you!! That's awesome!

I've never been a really active person before the amputation, but now I find that I want to do more than I did before! Good for you for helping us realize that we can get out there and do more.