Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
ebtalley

Oscar Pistorius - in the news 7.15.07

Olympics  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Should he be able to race in the olympics?

• Yes
    • No

While everything I have read so far has pointed to the fact that someone uses a certain percentage more energy in order to walk with a prosthetic than a non amputee has to. I have reservations about this guy being able to race in the Olympics, but just like our law system I think it will be good to test the Olympic body to set a precedence for other individuals in the future.

LINK - disqualification

Oh, boy... the can of worms is being opened.......!

Oscar presents quite a dilemna; doesnt' he? There was a story about him on the news tonight, with tape of him running in an "able-bodied" meet. He was most impressive!

They were talking about how they had filmed his races and would be analysing the films to try and determine once and for all whether his "running blades" give him an unfair advantage. I truly hope they can do so... there's been far too much conjecture on that point, and not enough scientific fact.

I didn't cast a vote, because my decision would depend on what is finally determined. If the perceived "advantages" of the blades are disproved, or are offset by other "disadvantages" of his situation, then I think he SHOULD be allowed to compete!

I don't understand why he can't break records in the Paralympics...

He'll get noticed either way.

It's the thin end of the wedge, I don't see any difference between his blades and drugs, they are both aids and cannot be accepted in the purest sense.

If he beat all the able bodied runners where would it stop? By-peds getting their legs cut off to compete?

i watched the race and the conditions were terrible and oscar came last i would like to see him race in dry conditions and see how he would compete i also would like to see if they can prove either way if oscar has any advantage or not .

but i must say he is a fine athlete no matter where or with who he competes

raven

I watched the race last night as well, I could not see what advantage Oscar had in that rain, he had to slow down on the bends because his blades would have slipped in the wet.

QUOTE(raven @ Jul 16 2007, 03:15 PM) http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=58863' target="_blank">

but i must say he is a fine athlete no matter where or with who he competes

raven

Agree

Heheheehehehehe - there was a documentary about Oscar here last night (SA telly) and they also interviewed other South African athletes. They were quite honest, and said that in the beginning they thought that Oscar should be allowed to compete wit AB people, but now that there is a possibility that he may win, THEY didn't want to lose to a bi-lateral amputee.

B)

Go Oscar go.......compete where you will.

You know, he only started running in 2004.....so the boy is a born athlete. I remember him as a wild 6 year old. Thank God we hadn't started pumping our kids with Ritalin then, otherwise he would probably be a 'normal' sedate 20 year old legless boy right now.

I'm glad it's finally been proved scientifically, hopefully now he can get some normal sized limbs and compete on a level playing field in the paralympics.

A Statement for Ossur

Click here

The final decision is due Monday