Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cassie T

Shane in the news again...

Well done Shane and good luck.

Raven

Thanks for the links, Cassie.... GO SHANE!!!

Thanks!!! :D

I just got in from the prosthetist. Finally in my "permanent" socket :lol: You know, sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from crying. New socket seems great, though. We(Cassie, Reagen, and myself) will be leaving tomorrow evening for Orlando. I spoke to Beth Geno(with Extremity Games) and it sounds like the motocross races are going to have a good turnout, so I'm really looking forward to that.

NERVOUS!!!!!!!!? :huh:

YESSS!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Anyone live in the Orlando area? Come on out, I'd love to meet any of you!

Have a great time, Shane (and family) and good luck!

You knock there socks off Shane. Give it to them. You can do it. The world needs to see that differences don't just make us different it makes us rock.

Keep going, when you think you can't do it anymore, do it one more time for people like me who thought they would never ride again and than we do.

You are an inspiration. My buddy built a motorcross track on his farm, I am going to have to try it. I send pics.

Skully Cat

Thanks for posting, Cassie!

Good luck in Orlando, Shane- can't wait to hear all about it (or read about you again!) :)

I met some new friends at the ACA who will be attending the games, I'll tell them to look you up!

Hi Shane,

I'm still around but playing a watching brief at the moment.

I wish you every good wish for your ride in Orlando.

I know you'll give it your best shot and not give up.

Go for it mate ---- you've got top class vibes coming your way

from from the UK

I'll be waiting for the results and report.

Regards John

Go for it mate ---- you've got top class vibes coming your way

from from the UK

I'll be waiting for the results and report.

Regards John

Shane, you have a lot of top class vibes coming from the UK.

Enjoy the experience, don't forget the photos.

Shane, I would have loved to have been there!

I'm anxiously awaiting the results of the races...

Here I am!! :D :D

Extremity Games 2007- First let me say, that all things considered, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. SO many amazing people in one place. It was absolutely unbelievable!!

Good/bad news:

Bad first- I landed very hard in practice and turns out I ruptured my one achilles tendon. It sucks much badly, but watcha gonna do?...I see the orthopedic today to schedule surgery (I'm guessing) So I'll fill you all in on that later...

Now the good- There was a top rate athletic trainer on hand named Nancy (works for Hanger now, making transition to prosthetics) She and a couple therapists checked me out and told me what they thought I had done(they were right). Nancy knew what I was thinking, so she did a tape job that was a work of art!!I never imagined such could be done with med tape. Anyway, I crammed my foot back in the boot, ran the heat race (very limited), cut the tape back off, iced again until time for the main event, taped me back up for the main, and...

THIRD PLACE!!!!!! and a BRONZE MEDAL!!!!

Wow, I got a hero's treatment and a standing ovation at the awards banquet. The entire event was spectacular. I can't wait for next year. If you get the oppurtunity- go. It is definitely top notch!!!

I'm at work, so I'll cut this short. If any one has an questions, just shoot. I'll fill you in on the doc visit as soon as I can. Thanks for the support. You are all GREAT!!!

YOU GO BOY! :D :) :D :) :D :)

I only have to wonder, what would you have placed had you not gotten injured?! I'm proud of our Shane!

Do you have any pix of the festivities?

Let us know what the doc says, and be VERY careful of that -- you only have one left ya know!

Way to go, Shane. Hope all goes well with your surgery, or whatever has to be done. You take care now and don't take too many chances...right....

Congratulations Shane. I might have to try to go next year. It sounds like a blast. The only trouble is....I'm not so good at any of the sports offered.

Sorry to hear of your injury. I hope it can be easily repaired.

Neal, I'd love to go -- but only as a spectator!

Shane, well done, never doubted that you would not make it to the podium.

Hope the news about your tendon isn’t too bad.

Guest bearlover

:) GO Shane, Go Shane. Go Shane.... :) :D Way to go! You make us all proud!

You're a little bit mad, my friend... but what an accomplishment! Now.... PLEASE take it easy and BABY that tendon!

Wow that was great. Well done on a fantastic achievment, it must be such a great feeling just taking part in such an event let alone getting a medal.

Sue

Good to hear you got a medal. Its great sitting up there on the podium and getting it.

Congrats on your hard work. :D

Hey, gang!

Thanks for all the support. You folks are always great that way. The games were indeed awesome, and something I'll never forget. All things considered, they'll always rate as one of my 'high points."

Now, as for the "low points"...

I had surgery friday to repair my achillles tendon. Doc says it was indeed a total tear. Along the way, I think he made some cuts to drop the lower part of my calf down to get some more length of tendon to work with since some of mine was shredded. Not sure the exact size of the incision. Before surgery he told me it could be as small as 2-3 inches or as long as from heel to calf. Depending on what he found inside. I'll find out for sure in a couple weeks, but it feels like closer to the latter.So now I'm in a cast (well, sort of) for the next 2 weeks. Then we take a look, maybe change the angle of my foot and some version of another cast for ?6 weeks or so. Meanwhile, I am strictly in the wheelchair. The doc says "normally" about 2 months before bearing weight. But, then he says none of the orthopedic group have any experience with an achilles repair on an AK, so it may be as long as 4 months in the chair. Geeze...this sucks much bad.

Anyway, we play the hand we're dealt, so I'm gonna try to make the best of it. It looks like I'm gonna be spending more time in the house, so I'll keep you all posted.

You have such a positive attitude. I know you hate being in the wheelchair. Not really where you'd prefer to be :( . Take good care of yourself and do what the dr says and hopefully you'll be out and about before you know it.

Hang in there.

Shane, mine was tibial tendon, not achilles, but it IS amazing what they can do wtih tendon repairs. The non-weight-bearing time does indeed stink, but it's important. I think I went through three different casts in the course of my recovery... each one changing the angle of the foot slightly as things healed. The results were very good... I hope you have as much luck as I did!

{{{{{Shane}}}}} Big cyber hugs for you!

I was hoping you could avoid the surgery and all that encompasses! Well, nothing to do now but exactly what the doctor orders. I'll be thinking of you and do keep us up to date on how you are doing.

I'm sorry about the extensive surgery Shane. You have a good attitude. You know that you'll be up and about real soon.