Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
LINDA

An examination of client’s perceptions of artifici

i am a third year health studies degree student at accrington & rossendale college in Lancashire and am conducting a study of client's perceived perceptions of artificial prosthetic services in the North West.

I am very interested in this area of study mainly due to the fact that my late father was a double amputee and my present boyfriend lost his right leg above the knee over 35 years ago in a motorbike accident. He is very dissatisfied with the present service he receives from the prosthetic services.

Do you feel the same or are you happy with the service?

Would you be prepared to complete a survey questionnaire to make your views known?

Thank you

Linda Ann Scanlan

I can't comment on services in the North West but I'm sure a lot of the English people on this site will agree with me when I say the NHS services are appalling. It's a well known fact that their success rate is below 50%. That's pretty bad if you ask me.

A lot of amputees in this country feel its virtually impossible to get a comfortable prosthesis from the NHS. I took out a loan to get one made privately and I am very happy with it.

The inadequacies appear to stem from mismanagement and lack of funding for research and education.

Sorry if this turned into a rant.

Best of luck in your findings.

Mandy

Hi

I would agree wholeheartedly with Mandy. Generally, I have seen a deterioration in the service provided over the last 10/15 years.

I am new to the whole NHs and Amputee thing as I only had my op. in September. I had a fitting today and I found that they were willing to give me almost anything I needed within time - I may even get a high-definition silicone cosmesis on the NHS within a few years. They will also give me sporty legs and feet that will acoomodate heels. I'm not sure if this is just because I am young (14), or I am just lucky with my centre.

I'm sorry so may people have had such problems with the NHS, but I have found them so far to be fine. I'm from the south-west so it may be different from region to region. Good luck with your study,

Liz x

Liz

I'm so happy you're getting good care and I wish you the best of luck in your recovery. There are caring and supportive staff in some limb fitting centers and they should be commended. I know that the attitude of management in the NHS is better towards younger amputees than, for example pensioners. They seem to think that because people are old anyway they won't need the latest technologies. That kind of thinking is discriminatory and just stinks.

Mandy

;)

Hi All,

I'm not sure that I agree totally at being dis-satisfied!

I am from Kent & visit the Disablement Services Centre in Gillingham as I have done since I became an RAK some 11 years ago. In the past some of the staff there clearly haven't listened when tried to give positive feedback but more recently my Technician is an amputee herself & understands what I am going through. They are clearly under-funded & I have had to approach my PCT for authority on the cost of a 'Flex foot' & although this is a nonsence of a process it was awarded & has made a big difference. I came to the conclusion some years ago that it simply is not the case that any leg will be 100% comfortable 100% of the time, I get good days & bad & I have learn't to live with it, I get up & get on with my life day by day! After all if I didn't I couldn't do my job or look after my two small children or indeed lead anything like a 'normal' life, whatever one of those is?

zzzzzzzzzz...................... I am sending myself to sleep here (sorry everyone), so I shall stop there! Suffice to say the NHS treatment I receive is adequate if underfunded & the Staff are mainly helpful. I am also about to get my first beach leg in 11 years during the next couple of months so to me that illustrates the need for more funding in this area patient care. Ranting is now over ........ Honest!! lol

See ya

Ken

Hi Linda,

an interesting study.

Like Lizzie, I am from the Southwest. I don't think it is because of Lizzies age that she is receiving a 'good' service. I am 54 years old, had an above knee amp Oct' 2002.

I was given a great deal of support and encouragement from the Peep's at the Limb clinic. I was involved/consulted every step(sorry for the pun) of the way. I was originally fitted with a basic prosthesis. That was fitted and 'adjusted' to ensure maximim comfort. Access to the limb clinic was a phone call away. An appointment that week if urgent, or no later than the following week. In April last year during a 'check-up' on my limb, I was asked if I wanted to try a 'new' prosthesis. I agreed, and we discussed the benefits. A new cast was taken of my stump. I was asked to go to the Disablement centre which is 60 miles from where I live, to try it out. An appointment was made for a couple of weeks later. I went to the Disabled services Unit, and was fitted with the new prosthesis. This prosthesis is an 'Ultimate' knee prosthesis. I spent several hours with the Prosthesist, making adjustments, and putting it and me through it's and my paces.

A couple of months later, I felt the 'foot' was incompatable with the leg. I phoned up for an appointment and saw the Prosthesist a few days later. I explained the problems and he suggested they put a 'Multi-Flex' foot on. So a couple of weeks later I had one fitted. Again putting it and me through our paces. And then physio on the treadmill and more adjustments.

Total success :)

The standard of care and skills and dedication shown by all the Limb clinic team could not be bought. I did not ask for the leg or foot. They used their skills and knowledge, combined with us all working together to give me every opportunity to walk.

But these are not exclusive to me, everyone I know who uses this service are very pleased.

As ever with the NHS it is a 'lottery', it depends on where you live.

Best as ever

Steve

for example pensioners. They seem to think that because people are old anyway they won't need the latest technologies. That kind of thinking is discriminatory and just stinks.

The centres have to go with the money they have, and produce limbs for people doubtless within a set of guidelines such as mobility,safety and above all the likelihood of the patient getting use out of the limb. What is the point of giving cosmesis or c legs or anything else that takes money away from people who can use them. This is not to say there aren't people out there who are older and can use fancy limbs BUT why give them to everyone just becuase they are available??

Granted, they do have limited funds (getting smaller by the day), but simply assuming an older person will not be able to use the better quality prostheses without assessing their abilities first is discriminatory. I'm not only talking componentry here, as many elder patients have said they feel they are treated as 'doddering old fools' who do not know what they are talking about. Subsequently, their complaints are not taken seriously by the consultants who think they know better when it comes to a comfortable fit instead of listening to their patients.

HIYA ALL

I am a third year health studies degree student at Accrington & Rossendale college in Lancashire and am conducting a study of client's perceived perceptions of artificial prosthetic services.

I am very interested in this area of study mainly due to the fact that my late father was a double amputee and my present boyfriend lost his right leg above the knee over 35 years ago in a motorbike accident. He is very dissatisfied with the present service he receives from the prosthetic services.

Do you feel the same or are you happy with the service?

Would you be prepared to complete the attached survey questionnaire to make your views known?

Thank you

Linda Ann Scanlan

An examination of client’s perceptions of artificial prosthesis services

Dear Participant,

I am a third-year BA Honours student at Accrington & Rossendale College in Lancashire and am currently undertaking a small-scale research study. The main aim of the study is to determine whether the health needs of people who access prosthetic services are being met.

All information that is provided by you will remain totally confidential and anonymous.

It is envisaged that the results will give a good indication of clients’ views of the prosthetic care services.

Thank you for your help

Linda Ann Scanlan

QUESTIONNAIRE

Year of Birth: Male/Female

Please tick as appropriate:

Where do you live?

Amputation(s)

Upper Limb Lower Limb

Above elbow (Left) Above knee (Left)

Above elbow (Right) Above knee (Right)

Below elbow (Left) Below knee (Left)

Below elbow (Right) Below knee (Right)

Survey

1. How long have you worn your artificial limb(s)?

1-5 years

6-10 years

10-15 years

16-20 years

21-25 years

26-30 years

31-35 years

36-40 years

41-45 years

50+

2. How many hours do you wear your limb each day?

1-3 hours

3-6 hours

9-12 hours

12+

3. Is your limb comfortable to wear? Yes No

4. If not, has it deteriorated? Yes No

5. If your limb is uncomfortable, have you discussed this with either:

(i) The fitter Yes No

(ii) The Limb Centre Doctor Yes No

6. Were your comments acted upon to your satisfaction? Yes No

7. Are you satisfied with the quality of materials of your limb? Yes No

8. Are you happy with the service you receive?

Yes No

9. Do you feel you have a choice of design of limb? Yes No

10. Are you aware of the various limbs and attachments that are available?

Yes No

11. If so, are you offered new attachments when they come available?

Yes No

12. How often do you attend your limb-fitting centre?

Frequently

Rarely

Once a year

Twice a year

Every 3 months

Every 6 months

Yearly

13. Have you ever met the limb technician? Yes No

14. If not, do you think it would be beneficial to do so? Yes No

15. If you have made an appointment to see the Prosthetist, how long have you had to wait to

see him? Less than 30 minutes

Between 30-60 minutes

Between 1-2 hours

More than 2 hours

16. Do you have a spare limb or limbs? Yes No

17. If your limb needs repairing, is it done while you wait?

Yes No

18. How long does it usually take to wait for your limb to be repaired?

A few hours

Ready next day

Within a week

A matter of weeks

19. On your first visit at the limb centre, were you give any written information to prepare you for what was going to happen?

Yes No

20. If not, would you find it helpful?

Yes No

21.Are the staff at your limb centre helpful and welcoming?

Yes No

22. If you could alter or change anything to improve the service that you receive what would it be?

Thank you for your time!