Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jules

Cyclng - out of the saddle!!!???

I'm just getting back into cycling after many years (I'm a BKA (congenital)).

As a child I was never able to cycle 'out of the saddle'....which can make hills a bit awkward, even with lots of gears!

I just wondered whether anyone had any tips regarding this or any general tips for someone getting back on their bike!!!???

I think my biggest hurdle is getting my confidence back....roads petrify me, and it's road cycling I want to get in to....!!!

Hi,

I am rbk and cycle quite a lot. It is possible for my to stand up on my pedals but I find it difficult to do because the leverage just isn't there - my stump is very short and so I find it is difficult to force the right leg up and over if that makes sense. With a longer stump it would be a lot easier to stand I reckon. Give it a go, but make sure your feet are clipped onto the bike somehow first.

I get up hills by using gears and just sitting down in the saddle and I have made it up some pretty steep ones by just using the granny gear, so it is possible. At the beginning I was really scared whenever I came across a hill that if I tried to cycle up it the bike would somehow start to roll backwards or something and so I was pretty cautious. With time you learn though. The trick is just to place all your weight at the front of your bike when you are going up and that kind of propels you forward.

Good luck and enjoy!

Before my amputation I was cycling centurions. When I first started riding I would stand on hills all the time but the more practice I got the more I found its easier to conserve energy by staying in the saddle it just takes time to build the muscles. I dont know if you have done so yet, but fitting is very important. I would take the bike into a shop where someone can set you up and make sure your stride is correct, a stride thats too short wil have you standing up in no time.

It will cost some money but yes you can, I do mountain bikeing and cyclle a lot standing up especially climbing large hills.

This is what I have Rotor and it's superb, the day I had it fitted was the day my riding changed totally. As there is no longer a dead spot it makes doing everything so much easier. BTW do take a min to watch whats happening in the animation as it's not initially obvious.

Any Q's yell :)

Rikk, I dusted down my MT bike and got back in the saddle this weekend, within 20mins I came off and managed to put my leg through the front wheel. I think I'm going to need a lot of your advice.

Rikk, I dusted down my MT bike and got back in the saddle this weekend, within 20mins I came off and managed to put my leg through the front wheel. I think I'm going to need a lot of your advice.

Hehe, it is good fun ;)

I'm actually in the process of putting together an artical with everything I've found. There is loads of usefull stuff out there that makes things so much easier for us.

If there's any Q's you have fire away. I'm pretty settled with what I have and do at the moment and apart from getting over huge logs can keep up with any of the guys in the local club.

First thing to do is to stop the foot coming off to easily, get yourself a GOOD set of flat pedals like Kona jackshits or wellgo mg1's, then pop to www.stiff.co.uk and get a pair of 5:10 impacts. These have the same soles on that climbers use on there rock shoes and they grip like nothing you can imagine, the ony time I ever loose a foot now is if I catch the wrong gear and am really going for it. They are so sticky you actually have to take your foot of the pedal to reposition it as you can't move it once it's gripped the pedal.

You could also try toe clips or proper clip in pedals, but for MTB use I found I kept falling over as I couldn't get my foot out in time.

It will cost some money but yes you can, I do mountain bikeing and cyclle a lot standing up especially climbing large hills.

This is what I have Rotor and it's superb, the day I had it fitted was the day my riding changed totally. As there is no longer a dead spot it makes doing everything so much easier. BTW do take a min to watch whats happening in the animation as it's not initially obvious.

Any Q's yell :)

Hi Rikk

I could see what the rotor was doing straight way, and it shows exactly the problem I face when trying to get out of the saddle - not being able to get a full rotation of the pedal (sorry, I'm not up on the technical jargon!!!)

Thanks all for the advice. I'm determined to get back into it and have found a bike I felt really comfortable on yesterday, ladies Giant flat handle road bike. Not expensive in bike terms, but I think confidence building will be my first challenge...then I'll look at investing in some gear to help me progress e.g. rotar!!!!

I have never really had a problem with my foot coming off the pedal...but no dobt I'll fall off at least once.

I've given myself the challenge of the London-Brighton charity ride next June....plenty of time!

My hubby is really into his cycling and I'm hoping this is something we'll be able to do together!

Thanks again,

Jules

Rikk, I like the sound of the 5:10 impacts?? do they have another name? I just didn't like the idea of clipping my feet to the pedals. I think I will need shorter cranks as my stumps are very short and my sockets are deep. The sockets come up over my knees and it is really hard to bend the knee properly. Any ideas?

Rikk, I like the sound of the 5:10 impacts?? do they have another name? I just didn't like the idea of clipping my feet to the pedals. I think I will need shorter cranks as my stumps are very short and my sockets are deep. The sockets come up over my knees and it is really hard to bend the knee properly. Any ideas?

Always idea's ;)

First off here's the link to the impacts http://www.stif.co.uk/shop/mb_software_pro...ten&cat=211

Ok now onto your problem there's a company in wales called highpath who do add on's for people with amputations and those recovering from injuries. They do something called a swing crank that will extend the cranks and allow you to pedal with less knee bending.

The downside is you loose some energy and also ground clearance, but it's what I used to get myself going untill I knew I was hooked and started altering my spare leg 8)

Here's the link to highpath and the swing crank http://www.highpath.net/cycles/special/swingcrank/01.html

Once you know your going to stick to the cycling though i would seriously suggest getting legs made specifically for the cycling. I altered my spare leg by cutting down the back for clearance of the back of my knee and the tendons. The limb centre wasn't very pleased and took a while to get them to help me with a cycling specific leg but now they are well on board.

Guest bearlover

Iam a LBk due to a birth defect too, I use to ride a bike with my good leg and the good leg did all the work I just let the left leg hang down while I peddled..Now I still riede a bike with a peddle extender it helps the prosthetic leg stay on the peddle, and not slide off.

I ride 5 days a week on a standard mountain bike.

In my experience staning on the peddles is possible but a little dangerous. A few times my foot has slipped off the pedal. I simply can't tell where it is and with the extra force going through my leg when standing it can be risky. Although I must say it is much easier to look at the front tyre for problems as you travel smoothly and gently over it...the hard road makes up for the thrill of flying though. :P The best solution for me was clips and if I go back to a road bike (please Santa I've been GOOD dammit :lol: ) I'll be going back to clips. At the moment I just use the lower gears and sit in the saddle.

Iam a LBk due to a birth defect too, I use to ride a bike with my good leg and the good leg did all the work I just let the left leg hang down while I peddled..Now I still riede a bike with a peddle extender it helps the prosthetic leg stay on the peddle, and not slide off.

Do you use the tin leg to pedal with now? owing to my "good" leg being about 50% down on power due to muscle loss at the time of the accident I use both legs equally and the difference to the size and power of my legs over the past 6-8 months has been amazing.

I just love the looks I get from people as you blast around, especially from the really young kids. I was climbing a hill past this mother and child who where pushing their bikes and as my friend came past them he heard the little girl say "mummy, that man has a robot leg is that why he's so quick" hehe

Any updates? hows the cycling going?