Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
dlovu

vacuum assisted sockets for aboveknee amputee

In my research for a possible replacement of my socket system there appears to be a number of products hitting the market where similar to the principle of the vass system a a socket system similar to a suction socket is used in conjection with a liner and where the valve would be for the suction system there is a connection to hook up a hand pump similar to one that removes air from a brake system to create a vacuum in the liner and secure it in place. Has any aboveknee amputees tried such a system and what were the results .

Thanks

Dave

example system

http://www.oandp.com/news/jmcorner/2007-03...+Hypobaric+Seal

Karen from Florida has a vacuum assisted socket. I don't know that it is exactly what is pictured on that website, but she is very happy with it. She should be along soon to let you know what hers is like. I met her prosthetist at the ACA conference. He said that he could make a vacuum socket for someone with a hip disarticulation. It really impressed me.

I'm BK and I'm getting a vacuum assisted socket. It was fabricated at the same facility in Florida that made Karen's leg. I should get it on Monday.

neal

Is the facility prosthetics and orthotics associates in orlando florida?. The website is just a protype but now the facility I mentioned makes specials inner sockets with liners for the vacum seal and then the inner socket gets attached to the hard shell outer socket with a snap in mechanism. Stan patterson a well known CP designed the system. The oandp group on a survey I did leaned heavily for this type of system to handle the volume flucuation issues and to get a good seal.

dave

Karen from Florida has a vacuum assisted socket. I don't know that it is exactly what is pictured on that website, but she is very happy with it. She should be along soon to let you know what hers is like. I met her prosthetist at the ACA conference. He said that he could make a vacuum socket for someone with a hip disarticulation. It really impressed me.

I'm BK and I'm getting a vacuum assisted socket. It was fabricated at the same facility in Florida that made Karen's leg. I should get it on Monday.

Hi, Dave

I've been wearing the socket you are inquiring about, made by POA in Orlando, for 3 years now. Please PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have.

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

I have had one for the last 6 days (UK NHS prescription and a new knee).

In principle it should be OK with good security, currently sore on right cheek and am letting the skin heal.

Am getting a private prescription (liner and bayonet) tomorrow and will revert.

lost leg above knee RHS in November and smashed left. had first issue in March, doing every thing.

Hi Dave,

I had a auto pump fitted to my new socket earlier this year. I acutally had it removed..............sadly it got a little noisey. It was however effective. Each time I stood from a sitting position the pump would automatically engage. Suction is retained the entire time. I tend to loose a fair bit when i sit and as a result the pump would start kicking in while i was sitting down............kinda started to drive me mad. It was good to try though. and a know a couple of people who have had much better success with it than me.

Different brand than you are disussing

M

Have had a new suction socket for a week. First impressions are clouded by discomfort and prosthetistist is on hols so reserve judgement. Find the technique for getting on and pulling sleave through the valve is awkward. Find the sleeve and bayonet nominally easier. security would appear to be equal.

Hi Dave,

I had a auto pump fitted to my new socket earlier this year. I acutally had it removed..............sadly it got a little noisey. It was however effective. Each time I stood from a sitting position the pump would automatically engage. Suction is retained the entire time. I tend to loose a fair bit when i sit and as a result the pump would start kicking in while i was sitting down............kinda started to drive me mad. It was good to try though. and a know a couple of people who have had much better success with it than me.

Different brand than you are disussing

M

Hi,

I am a RAK amp and since reading about the Elevated Vacuum Suspension systems in the latest Oandp magazine, I'd like to learn more.

What type of system did you have? What system are you back to since that one didn't work??

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience or comments about these systems, especially for transfemoral amputees.

Karen did get back to me (Thanks Karen) and my prosthetist may be going to the seminar her prosthetist holds, though I noticed that Ohio Willow Wood also has a seminar and a new system.

It's so hard to know what system will work best if at all. I have such limited information. I have a long length of residual limb, which could be an issue. (I don't even have room for a rotator) I am currently in an ischial containment socket with a Iceross Seal-In Liner. (though a 45 is too big, a 40 a bit too small, and there is nothing in between.) My main issues are chafing and sometimes rash at the inside top of my leg at the top of the socket, under the liner, and the difficulties of dealing with the heat in the summer. Last year, my first as an amputee, was horrible! I adore my prosthetists-they have been great to me. They have had other patients asking about the vacuum systems, and seem open to learning, so we'll see what happens!

Thanks,

Susan

Susan

I was a very discouraged amputee for slightly over 3 years who was unable to find a socket system that would work for more than 2 weeks. I tried lanyard systems, pure suction systems, seal in etc. None of them could handle my daily volume fluctuations. I was never able to walk properly. I started the original thread on this post on yet another try to find something better. Like you I was able to get in touch with Karen and she was most helpful. As I have I winter residence near Orlando I was able to take advantage of Karens prosthestist and his staff who were excellent. Being a long limb amputee like you no rotator etc. there was initial problems fitting me as I was more accustomed to support at the ischial end and they preferred to try to fit me with a lower profile which had advantages but I could not wistand the distal pressure. After increasing the length of the socket progress became rapidly and I can say without a doubt it is the best system I have used to date by far. MY walking which really suffered because of the previous products is now starting to turn around. My golf game is improving and life is getting good again. I even have a rotator with a C-leg which I was told I could never have especially with long limb and my C-leg. If you have questions Karen is amazing and I am available (unless I am playing golf) to answer as well.

Good Luck

Dave

Hi,

I am a RAK amp and since reading about the Elevated Vacuum Suspension systems in the latest Oandp magazine, I'd like to learn more.

What type of system did you have? What system are you back to since that one didn't work??

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience or comments about these systems, especially for transfemoral amputees.

Karen did get back to me (Thanks Karen) and my prosthetist may be going to the seminar her prosthetist holds, though I noticed that Ohio Willow Wood also has a seminar and a new system.

It's so hard to know what system will work best if at all. I have such limited information. I have a long length of residual limb, which could be an issue. (I don't even have room for a rotator) I am currently in an ischial containment socket with a Iceross Seal-In Liner. (though a 45 is too big, a 40 a bit too small, and there is nothing in between.) My main issues are chafing and sometimes rash at the inside top of my leg at the top of the socket, under the liner, and the difficulties of dealing with the heat in the summer. Last year, my first as an amputee, was horrible! I adore my prosthetists-they have been great to me. They have had other patients asking about the vacuum systems, and seem open to learning, so we'll see what happens!

Thanks,

Susan

I have a new AK suction socket since August 07. It is the Hanger Comfort Flex and it is the best fitting and comfortable socket on a Mauch knee unit that I have experienced. I do have a very long AK stump, about 3 inches above the knee when sitting, which may play a factor in using a suction socket. I am able to wear the leg and work all day pain free until my 10PM bedtime. The parachute sleeve makes it easy to don. As I remember my first leg in 1980 with constant pain, prosthetics have come a long way.