Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mdrums

AK Silicone Liner Issue?

I am a very very high AK left leg with some residual tissue at the bottom of my stump. I've tried a suction system and it did not work really well on me so I continue with my pin system.

I am having a problem with a new type of liner from Otto Bock. This liner does not have any vertical give and it helps with the pistoning up and down in the socket. This liner feels more solid on me and I walk a lot better but as I lose volume, especially in the heat and humidity of Florida in my stump during the day I get these friction rashes and burns on the tender skin of the inside of my stump since the liner does not give with my skin. I've found a little KY Jelly helps with the friction burning sensation but this causes the liner to slip later on during the day. Plus who wants to carry KY Jelly in there pocket all the time?!?! My prosthetist has already made me to sockets to go with 2 different sizes of this new Otto Bock liner and he will do what ever I ask. I do not want to go back to my old Iceross Comfort liner and it feels more mushy but it does not hurt my skin.

Any AK's in a pin system? What silicone liner are you using?

Hi,

I wear a silicone liner (but with a vacuum system) and find that when the liner is new I need to use a good lubricant in the high friction areas. After a while, some of the lubricant absorbs into the silicone, and it's no longer necessary.

There is a product that works very well called Adaptskin. It eliminates the friction and doesn't cause slippage. They have had a booth at the ACA convention the last couple of years. You need to order it, though. Web site is http://www.adaptlabs.com, or you can call 1-888-842-2040.

An over the counter product I've used is Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. (Sorry, it's another "feminine product" :rolleyes: , but it does the job!) You shouldn't have to use either one of these products more than once in the morning.

I hope I've been of some help. I'm very familiar with the heat and humidity of Florida.... B)

Karen

AKA

Orlando, FL

Hi,

I wear a silicone liner (but with a vacuum system) and find that when the liner is new I need to use a good lubricant in the high friction areas. After a while, some of the lubricant absorbs into the silicone, and it's no longer necessary.

There is a product that works very well called Adaptskin. It eliminates the friction and doesn't cause slippage. They have had a booth at the ACA convention the last couple of years. You need to order it, though. Web site is http://www.adaptlabs.com, or you can call 1-888-842-2040.

An over the counter product I've used is Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. (Sorry, it's another "feminine product" :rolleyes: , but it does the job!) You shouldn't have to use either one of these products more than once in the morning.

I hope I've been of some help. I'm very familiar with the heat and humidity of Florida.... B)

Karen

AKA

Orlando, FL

Karen, thanks for the reply. I am interested in your liner with the vaccum system. It sounds like it keeps the socket sucked to you even during sweating and/or volume los in your limb. Am I correct? Do you have any pictures of your system?

I see you live in Florida too. I am just west of you near Tampa in Apollo Beach! Yep Orlando is probably even hotter than Tampa. YIKES!

thanks Mike

Hi, Mike

Yes, it's pretty hot in Orlando, we were at 98 degrees yesterday, with a 110 heat index. Wilting!!!!

If you will PM me with your email address, I'll send you a few pics of my socket system (I have no clue as to how to do it on the forum....my computer-ese is pretty bad), and tell you how it works.

Karen

I'm only a bk, but, I wear a pin liner from Ossur called the Stabilo liner.. It isn't being made now, but it was replaced by the Synergy liner.. They are more solid at the bottom and up the sides a ways. If the Otto Bock liner doesnt' work, maybe you could consider some thing like that instead of the Comfort liner.. The liners I wear from Ossur are made for a more athletic person so they are a little stiffer than the Comfort liner..

Karen is so right about the Adapt Skin product, I think everyone who has tried it has gotten hooked on it. Also, another thing, is that they have two versions of it. The Adapt Skin 50 is really good and easily put on. The Adapt Skin 90 is a little heavier for better/coverage of an area that you want to heal.. What both of them do is creat a barrier,in effect, to keep the rest of the moisture off an area that you want to heal. It also provides some lubrication to help the liner "move" over that area. It's good stuff..

Hope that you get things healed up.

Hiya, I use the iceross pin system i loose mine now and again if im active or its hot its a case of taking of and wiping the sweat off , only at the weekend i at to go and clean off, have you ever just wiped the inside of the liner with a little talc powder, and any sore bits put vaseline on them stop the friction.. not much help sorry bye

paul

Hiya, I use the iceross pin system i loose mine now and again if im active or its hot its a case of taking of and wiping the sweat off , only at the weekend i at to go and clean off, have you ever just wiped the inside of the liner with a little talc powder, and any sore bits put vaseline on them stop the friction.. not much help sorry bye

paul

Hi Paul, yes I take my liner off about 3-8 times a day depending on how hot it is outside and how active I am. I tried the talc powder a long time ago and with the talc of the liner would not stick to my stump and then it would really slip down my stump. I am now using Dri-Sol and it seems to help with the sweating issue. I did go see another prosthetist on Monday and he would like to take me out of the pin systme and put me in a vacuum system. This prosthetic is also a above knee amputee and he wears a vacuum system and most all his above knee customers do to. His name is Bill Copeland of Copeland Prosthetics in Tampa, FL.

From 1980 I have always used a suction socket with my left AK. Since 1996 I have had a plastic liner. I recently had a new socket made. With both sockets I had trouble with the milk gallon type plastic and went with the clear harder plastic that does not expand from the heat as much. This helps me to better maintain suction. I try not to have to take the leg off during the day unless I completely lose suction due to sweat. I now use the Hanger parachute material pull sock to pull me into the socket. This works well by allowing my stump to slide in without skin folding over. The other day I should have re-pulled the stump into the socket for both a straighter and tighter fit. Because I was in a hurry I ended up with a skin blister.

From 1980 I have always used a suction socket with my left AK. Since 1996 I have had a plastic liner. I recently had a new socket made. With both sockets I had trouble with the milk gallon type plastic and went with the clear harder plastic that does not expand from the heat as much. This helps me to better maintain suction. I try not to have to take the leg off during the day unless I completely lose suction due to sweat. I now use the Hanger parachute material pull sock to pull me into the socket. This works well by allowing my stump to slide in without skin folding over. The other day I should have re-pulled the stump into the socket for both a straighter and tighter fit. Because I was in a hurry I ended up with a skin blister.

Hi Freddy, I tried the suction socket last year were you pull yourself in with a parachute material silk type sock. I my stump is so short it did not hold suction very well and it rubbed my skin so I went back to my liner and pin system.

Today I meet with my prosthetist to tell him I am going to go see another prothetist to get a vacuum system done. My current prothetist want to put me into a belt type of system around my waist. I just do not understnd how a belt system will help my sweating isue and keep a comefortable fit in my socket. I did get my prescritpion for Dri-Sol and that and the less humid weather we are having this week in Florida is working wonders.

I AM SO CONFUSED!