Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stagger Lee

A return to scuba diving with just one foot

My goal is to get back to doing everything that I'd done before losing my foot just over a year ago, so on the anniversary of the accident that took it, I departed on the same scuba diving trip that I was supposed to have gone on a year before, the day after the accident.

It took some adjusting, mainly in the weight and balance department, and learning how to do a steady kick with one finned foot moving slowly through the water and one fin-less, shorter leg swishing fast, but I managed. And I'm feeling great! The hardest part was getting to and from the waters' edge when shore diving and back onto the boat when on the charter. But all worked out.

Never give up. You might have to work harder or smarter but all things are possible.

My blog articles about it here:

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2007/08...d-4-diving.html

http://lagniappeslair.blogspot.com/2007/08...ng-wexford.html

Never give up. You might have to work harder or smarter but all things are possible.

How absolutely true. It sounds to me like you've got the ATTITUDE.

What changed mine when I was still in the hospital after the amputation, and I thought that the world as I knew it had ended, was a visit from a Korean Veteran BKA. I asked him to be honest with me and to not spare my feelings, but to tell me the worst thing about being an amputee. He said:

"Well Jim, I have to tell you that the worst thing is.......Every time that I go swimming, I swim in circles"

:lol: :lol:

That established my attitude for ever since.

Guest bearlover

I agree if we all give up what use would it be? Keep up the fight and don't let nothing stop you. I was raised that way.. self pity and whining will get you no place! :)

I went scuba diving on holiday in Greece a couple of weeks ago. It was the first time I'd been since losing my leg 3 years ago. I am trained and certified to 'PADI Divemaster' level and went diving on a regular basis pre accident.

When on holiday I used hand fins, they were really easy to use and gave me just as much control as 'feet' fins. It was great, I'm only sorry that it took me three years to get back into it!! <_< No stopping me now tho.

Well done Lee on not letting anything stop you ;)

Hi all good on ya for doing something that can get that buzz back. I havent ever scuba dived but the first time i went back to swimming after loosing the leg the feeling was brill nothing better getting the blood pumping again, and now im back on the exercise bike everday working a good sweat up life cant get much better than when youre buzzing. take care all

paul