Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Caveman

yetanothernewbie

Best wishes to all.

After 30 years and 20,000 miles a year on a motorbike lost it to a lorry in November 2006. No claims, no insurance pay-outs, no blames - other than the white van that disappeared without trace........Collapsed in theatre , critical for 2 weeks, amputation above right knee after big infections. left leg bust but rebuilt; otherwise all intact.

Non weight bearing for next 12 weeks weight for left leg to get sorted. Live in Edwardian house with 30 steps to front door and bedroom on third floor. not ideal. Friends assume will move house. My approach was if I cant live with the house, I cant go back to my old work.

Got massive ossification to the stump. Report to medics on phone who say normal,see you at next scheduled outpatients. Severe depression at end of January when told have genetic condition with 1 x 10-6 probability ( 1 in a million) and may not be able to wear a prosthetic (too much internet research was half the problem. Seek second opinion and views of medic friends, move on and curse the consultant for lack of investigation, care and bedside manner after 5 months get the UK's top dog to confirm all ok, and what should have been dopne and that we all make mistakes.....

Meanwhile,get basic NHS leg in March and have it on all day every day, never had any soreness, the ossifictaion has given a good bearing area. Back to work!!! back driving with LH accelerator.

I am a marine surveyor (20ft to superyachts)_ and have to climb ladders crawl in bilges, cambered decks etc., so mobility is essential. Initially I got on a boat. took leg off and " bum-shuffled" as required. Have been doing everything of late without assistance both in UK and europe including checking in and security at Gatwick.

Weekend job was as a flying instructor. Have got my unrestricted class 1 medical back from the CAA together with my commercial license and instructors rating; just need some students!

Had family holiday a few week back touring Andalucia. Did everything would have done pre-accident apart from see swimming, but was pleased to esatblish can get in and out of a pool without problem.

Got new knee and socket last week. (mauch and suction/liner) can't assess the knee as have broken skin on right cheek - the first time. this is the first time been limited by the prosthetic side rather than "intact side", utility of the superior knee is much better though.

My 93 old hyper-active mother has kindly offered to buy me a state of the art leg rather than give dosh to the exchequer. Getting a rheo knee, renegade foot with liner/bayonet socket. Intial delivery and set up tomorrow.

the mauch/rheo comparison will be very interesting.

Sports - those I hope to get back to are cycling (off road) and skiing (wont be able to what I used to do, which was everything), but will be happy to be up the mountain on anything- skibobs seem a good option. Love sailing but never seem to have time and can get some good sea-trials with the day job.

motorbikes are history.

On the whole life is good. Slower, but good

Hi, Caveman... welcome to the "club" and thanks for the intro! It sounds to me as though you're doing very well indeed. Attitude is the most important part of this lifestyle (that and a well-fitting limb), and you seem to have that part nailed.

Skiing is possible, BTW... have you thought about three-track? I'm not a skier (and wasn't even when I had both legs), but I'm sure someone around here is!

Guest bearlover

Hello Caveman! Welcome Iam a LBK for 4 years now..Due to a birth defect and a long story :D Happy you joind us..

Guest bearlover

Our Buddy Jim T is also a fourmer Marine..I'm sure he will chime in he is a true gentleman. :)

WELCOME Caveman!!!

I love your attitude!! :D And I like the sound of your mother!! I'm a bit on the hyper-side myself so I already love her! ;) I hope I'm still 'spicy' when I get to be her age! LOL!

I'm seldom, if ever, on here so you'll only see me only once in a while but I'm glad I peeked in to meet you.

I'm a left symes (aka through the ankle) amputee since 1978. An unlicensed teenager lost control of her car and drove it off the road far enough to run into me. Thankfully the owner of the car had your standard car insurance which gave me a wee bit of $ (long gone). Too bad yours had no insurance. OUCH!

So you're a marine surveyor; that sounds like a lot of fun! I'm just a lab rat and so envy all of you out there in the outside world. I did take one sailing lesson but have never pursued it. Likewise, I took one helicopter lesson (because that was my dream) but decided my present passions (skydiving & scuba diving) took too much of my money to go on with that dream. If I win the powerball . . . . .

There are a lot of fabulous people on this site. You will love it here.

Again, welcome,

Amy

Hi Caveman,

Welcome to the forum.

Like Amy I'm not around much either. I'm an RAK with a dodgey left leg. We sound a little similar.

Currently using a C-leg with a Seal in liner. I used to have the pin system that you are talking about.

I know a couple of people who have tried the Rheo and some find it heavy-others who really like the mauch; I guess at the end of the day it's what works best for you. I'm shocking at remembering to put my c-leg on the charger and often have to power it up with the car attahcments........

It's also a pity that these knees don't last a lifetime as it can become an expensive exercise. I'm one of the lucky ones who is covered by insurance otherwise I imagine that I'd be on the pneumatic number I started on.

Good luck with the Trial i hope it goes really well for you. I also used to Sail but have a hell of a time getting on the things now - still never say never. The guys have offered to crane me over the side but I just can't imagine doing that!!! They might just want to drop me in the drink.

Cheers Mel.

Our Buddy Jim T is also a fourmer Marine..I'm sure he will chime in he is a true gentleman. :)

I'm sure Jim can't wait to be surveyed then :lol: :lol:

G'day Caveman and welcome to our "family" hope you enjoy your stay here.

Wow, that's quite a story. Your recovery is stupendous!! Well done!

I've been a RAK for just over 12 years - auto accident. Our stories sound similar - no insurance, no payouts, critical for 2 weeks, was told stump too long for prosthetic, oh same old same old.

I have a MAS socket and a Total 2000 knee. The falls I take can be quite spectacular with this knee :lol:

Hit 40 this year, which is the year 'they' predicted I would be wheel chair bound. Prats. I've done far more since my amputation than I did as an AB person (my poor mother's nerves :P )

Looking forward to getting to know you better,

Ally

Now this is just what I've been talking about. A man who put his life back together, with all of the bumps, bounces and bruises. Like he said, it may not be the same, but it is most definitely workable. I didn't hear a single "poor me" there. (Ain't this a b**ch, perhaps, but no "poor me".) "If we can't do it one way - we'll find another" attitude.

Welcome to the "club" as Cherylm put it. You'll fit in just fine. Some on here need a good healthy dose of "positive - can do" attitude. Actually, we all do from time to time.......... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliment K., but I was in the U.S. Army, not the Marines. But that's okay, all of us services are friends. (The marines just have fancier uniforms and better press agents. :lol: )

By the way Cat, I've not only been "surveyed", but keel-hauled, dry-docked, and had my barnacles scraped.....but, this old scow is still sea worthy......well, maybe a slight list to starboard. :D :)

Guest bearlover
Now this is just what I've been talking about. A man who put his life back together, with all of the bumps, bounces and bruises. Like he said, it may not be the same, but it is most definitely workable. I didn't hear a single "poor me" there. (Ain't this a b**ch, perhaps, but no "poor me".) "If we can't do it one way - we'll find another" attitude.

Welcome to the "club" as Cherylm put it. You'll fit in just fine. Some on here need a good healthy dose of "positive - can do" attitude. Actually, we all do from time to time.......... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliment K., but I was in the U.S. Army, not the Marines. But that's okay, all of us services are friends. (The marines just have fancier uniforms and better press agents. :lol: )

We all can Put our life back together..It is tuff some may have it tuffer..But we can can all over come our set backs.. Be strong and stand proud and gut through the bend in the road. Its well worth it! :) Never give up the fight!!

Welcome Caveman (curious as to your moniker!)!

I'm RBKA for two years now. I never was very fit or active, but I've managed to surpass my own hopes as an amp. And still working on doing more.

Glad to see you aboard.

Welcome to the forum Caveman....

It sounds as if you are "managing" quite well... glad to hear it...

How are you doing with all of those steps at home?

Hope you come back often....

hello one blue leg - whoever you are! you have me sussed!

thanks for the welcomes.

24hours of the Rheo is most encouraging; cutting the grass was much easier. Good first "left/right" attempts at stairs.

Anyone going to the Goodwood Revival next weekend?

Have a good bank-holiday

do you wear a swim leg when scuba diving? was great to be in the water again a few weeks back and look forward to diving again (not in the UK) Guess help is need with climbig to boat with tha tank etc

Derek

:) Welcome aboard 'Caveman' this is a quite crazy :blink: loving bunch. Not much can be asked that someone doesn't have an answer for~ or already been through it (you know, been there & done that) sort of thing.

;)

ann

Welcome - sorry this is a bit late but on/off computer problems has meant I have only been on this site briefly, a couple of times lately.

I am LBK (symes) and as has already been said you'll meet some great people on this site who between them have tried just about everything.

Sue

do you wear a swim leg when scuba diving? was great to be in the water again a few weeks back and look forward to diving again (not in the UK) Guess help is need with climbig to boat with tha tank etc

Derek

Hiya chuck, i got back to my scuba diving a few weeks ago in greece and no, i didn't wear my leg. there are too many air gaps and buoyancy problems. I dived just fine with hand fins from 'decathlon' but afterwards did a bit of snorkeling with one fin on, it was no problem. my remaining leg is also a bit smashed up but if you take it easy with the fin power there's not much difference.

Welcome aboard by the way

H x

Hi Caveman, and welcome. With a bit of 'trial and error' everything can be overcome. Some obstacles are just in your head, I had decided for whatever reason that I could not tow my caravan using hand controls. About a month ago I had to move it - I don't know what all the fuss was about. Been away every weekend since, now planning to go away for 3 weeks touring Lake District and the west coast of Scotland. Have to plan my moves as I use my right hand for brakes, accelerator and left hand for steering.

Just reading your story has given me a wake up call, to quote Jim, "Some on here need a good healthy dose of "positive - can do" attitude. Actually, we all do from time to time.........." Thanks for the kick in the rear end.

Dear Hazel,

Thanks for that . It seems there a number of us with smashed up remaining legs.

I just stop when it hurts!

thanks

Happy camping

Guest bearlover
Dear Hazel,

Thanks for that . It seems there a number of us with smashed up remaining legs.

I just stop when it hurts!

Dittio to that! :D

Guess help is need with climbig to boat with tha tank etc

Derek

forgot to add, that this was my biggest fear and worry about diving again. what a lot of anxiety over nothing. I just took my weights, fins and tank off in the water, passed them up and got them to pass me my leg, then Just climbed up the ladder as usual!

don't waste anymore time worrying about it honey, just get out there and do it. Life is far too short. xx