Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pixy

final Revision

Hey haven't been on in a LONG time.

To recap my mildly exciting life of an amputee I was amputated at age 5 due to bone cancer. The amputation was a Van ness rotation which to make a long story short failed. The foot could no longer move and the nervs and circulation were damaged. So many revisions later I was left with a part of my tibia and heel pad on the end of my stump.

Well after my bone spur was removed almost all the sensation was lost in the lower part of the stump. The heel pad has trouble taking weight and it hurts if left in the socket too long. We had asked for the lower portion to be removed in the past but the Doctor at the time didn't want to. I'm starting to think he worried more about admitting failure and dammaging his pride then taking care of me.

But anyway after fifteen years of being landed with a long stump that keeps me from being able to have my knees even and often causes pain I want it gone.

So I have to go talk to a doctor and find out the details but any info or advice would be great. This operation would make my stump considerably shorter so if anyone has any experience please share.

I really want to get rid of the pain but I'm a bit scared too.

No words of wisdom, Sweetie, but lots of love and good wishes. I'm sure somebody here will be able to help. Sounds like you're on a good track.

Can't really give any advice as my experience is very different but just wanted to wish you good luck talking to the doctor.

Sue