Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hopalong

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Whatever or whoever it is, they need to know about it. If you don't hear back from them, Ann, make an appointment, go in and tell them. They need to make it right for you.

You got that right!!

And, the guy works for Hanger, so letting Hanger corp won't hurt a thing. You have messed with this way too long Ann, you should of been in a comfortable socket and leg by now..

I had heard that they bought up a bunch on independent guys too.. I also know that they had some problems.. That came from a person who worked for Hanger, sorting out the problems. So, yes, Ann, send the letter.... there is nothing in the world it can hurt, but it just might help you.. You paid good money for something to fit.. Besides, if you threaten to get your insurance company involved, because of a poor fit and no resolution so far, you never know where it will lead.. I did tell my insurance company once about a problem and they got it taken care of and replaced. I had tried and tried with the guy (no, not my prosthetist, this was something different but just as important). Finally, after telling them that I had gotten crappy lenses, they had paid for them and the guy wouldn't make them right, they got it resolved.. Pronto!

Done that once with Ford Motor Co. and our local dealer. He didn't want to warrant something that was warranted, so I called the district office... Got it fixed too, with a request from him, that I not call district anymore...

You deserve a proper fitting leg.....

Guest bearlover

My first prosthetist was a independent guy wgo was totally cluless. Until I finally switched. I also had a very poor fitting socket and a paiful one..he told me "that's all part of it" :o Not true.So happy I decided to leave him and found my current prosthetist..Who is a gem.

I had a real poor prosthetist in the begining I switched and found a great one who happens to work for Hanger.

My first prosthetist was a independent guy wgo was totally cluless. Until I finally switched. I also had a very poor fitting socket and a paiful one..he told me "that's all part of it" :o Not true.So happy I decided to leave him and found my current prosthetist..Who is a gem.

Yep, got it the first time..... :)

I live in a country, small town.....we do not have the advantages of the larger city areas without traveling quite a distance. There is only one place to have a prosthesis made; in fact I have had three made there. They have always been owned by Hanger....never were an independent operation. And none of them were worth a darn; Opps, I take that back, one time they had a guy that if he had stayed would have been a really excellent prosthesist. He left due to the fact his wife got a transfer.

I sent the letter to the home office of Hanger. They are backing and paying his checks, so they need to be the ones to tell him to right what is wrong or send someone who can. I am just sick and tired of being told I am a hard fit and sent home. The last time I was in was a week ago....he could see on the bottom of my leg it was blood red and bruised...he gave me a piece of lambs wool and said some people have luck with it helping ~ sent me home!

The time before that, I took a pair of shoes in for him to look at and maybe shave some excess off my foot....well he literally pushed and pushed & used a shoehorn until he got the foot into the shoe....Said there, that fits OK. When I got ready to take it off after we got home there was no way I was ever going to be able to take it off ~AND ~ it was all Doc (hubby) could handle to get that shoe off.

Now this guy is the office manager....I started out with someone else who used the new system "Insignia Laser"...I use the pin system & it took him over a month just to stop my test socket from turning around and around on the pin. I finally told them I wanted to change practitioners . They have been working on this current prosthesis for over a year and have been told over and over that the foot is too large and I am hitting bottom.

You see I was always told you get farther using honey then blowing up. I am not a hard person to get along with.. ;) ...honest! Well I have used all the honey I am going to use. Higgy has been telling me this for two years and finally after talking with her and all of you have the courage to do what I should have done years ago.

Sorry this is so long but I just had to let you all know what the situation really is here. I don't dislike Hanger, just the fact if they hire someone they also have to be responsible for the products that are coming out of that office.

That sounds like a perfectly rational way to think about it, Ann... and yes, you certainly ARE due for a leg that actually fits you! What you're describing sounds like an amputee's nightmare... I hope you get quick and decisive action!

Ann, what if you talk with the district manager for that Hanger office? Have you tried looking online for Hanger website and seeing what you come up with?

www.hanger.com

better yet, try this page, and see what you find to suit your situation. At least it is a place to start, even if you have mailed a letter to corporate headquarters..

http://www.hanger.com/sections/contact/cu_main.html

It has been way too long in all of this....

I don't dislike Hanger, just the fact if they hire someone they also have to be responsible for the products that are coming out of that office.

Amen. Stick to your guns, Ann. You deserve better.

Ann, what if you talk with the district manager for that Hanger office? Have you tried looking online for Hanger website and seeing what you come up with?

www.hanger.com

better yet, try this page, and see what you find to suit your situation. At least it is a place to start, even if you have mailed a letter to corporate headquarters..

http://www.hanger.com/sections/contact/cu_main.html

It has been way too long in all of this....

[/quote

Higgy, the second address is where I came up with where to mail the complaint. Sent it to patient feedback or something like that.

Thanks for sticking by me......think I must be part wimpy, wimpy, wimpy!!!! :blink::blink:

I don't dislike Hanger, just the fact if they hire someone they also have to be responsible for the products that are coming out of that office.

Amen. Stick to your guns, Ann. You deserve better.

:) Thanks......I am willing to bet I will hear something this time. Hubby says if the wheel squeaks you hear more ~~ maybe he's right. ;)

One of the guys I know walks as well as, if not better than I do (I'm AK).

<_< mmmmmm, I've seen you walk and if this HD is doing as well as you, then he is doing fab!

Oh, and while I am hijacking the thread for a bit (sorry Hopalong), thanks to you my dear, my CP no longer has any patience with me when I complain about donning a socket with cream (I loathe it)! He just rolls his eyes and says 'Karen does it this way you know'. Yeah right....thanks a ton... :P :P

Okay, what did I miss? Have you and Karen been together comparing notes? :blink: And we didn't know about it? :blink:

Hey Marcia - my CP went to a conference in the States and Karen did some demo walking for them. Unfortunately I wasn't there..... but I did get to see the demo tape, and Karen walks really well. :)

Donning with cream....well, that's another story <_< My CP likes to work like that, it's quicker and easier to get a full suction socket on. I just can't bear the feeling. And now, mmmmm, now I can't complain quite as much as I used to. He just doesn't listen :lol:

Hi, Ally

Actually, I don't don my socket with cream. I use a little Adaptskin and sesame oil in higher friction areas and then roll my liner on, insert in socket (first inner and then outer) and use the vacuum pump. No slippng and sliding involved! Hmmmmmmmm.... Might Marco may have just told you that to keep you from complaining? :glare: Have we caught him in a little fib? :o Just kidding. I'm sure he just did not understand my "gear" as it's unique to my CP. But be sure to tell him that line will not work anymore! :)

And thank you for your compliment on my "walk". :blush: I've been working really hard on improving my gait since surgery last summer.

XO

Karen

AKA

Orlando, Florida

WOW- this thread sure got hijacked. :P

So How are things going for you Hopalong?