Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hopalong

I Kneed Your Advice to Get A Foot Up!

I am a newbie here, so forgive me if I am asking questions that have been posted before. :blink: I should be receiving a prosthesis sometime in the next couple of months. I am a LAK Hip Disartic. I will be getting one of those new fangled sockets (the suction type mentioned in another post), with a C-Leg. I'm wondering if the C-Leg has it's own integrated knee, or if it is a separate part. If so, I would love to hear what others are using. If you have a C-Leg, what kind of knee do you use...and what kind of foot do you use? I would also like to hear your impressions about these components. Thanks for your help...

Lorri

Hi Lorri welcome to the forum.

I wear a suction liner and use a c-leg. The c-leg is the knee unit, you don't get a separate knee. it's a micro compressor knee with adjustable settings.

I have a Trias foot which is also made by Otto Bock.

Not quite sure what you are asking Lorri but happy to help out

Mel.

Not quite sure what you are asking Lorri but happy to help out

Mel.

I guess what I am asking is that I've heard different knees and feet can make all the difference in the world with ones prostheis. With the infomation you have told me, I now know that I don't need to worry about the knee...But now I'm wondering what "foot" others use with their C-Leg. I have been told that some are stiffer than others...some respond better than others...etc. I would like to hear what other C-Leg users have to say about their foot....I am a fairly active person who hopes to "hike" and ride a bicycle again. I don't know if that matters when choosing a foot?

Thanks again,

Lorri

Hi Lorri,

With respect to the c-leg because it is Otto Bock componentry it is rare that other feet will fit onto the pilon. I'm not sure how it works but most of the components are univeral & i think approx 34mm where as with the Bock products they are made at 36mm hence as stated most other components cannot fit to there units.......this is the case in the c-leg anyway.

There new foot the Trias which is what I am currently using is much better than the Axion which i was originally fitted with when I trialled the knee over 12 months ago. Because I found the Axion so stiff & because I don't have the weight to put into the unit breaking the knee became difficult and i was forever putting my lower back out-i also didn't have a socket that fitted well at the time which i must say makes all the difference. The second time around trying this unit the difference is outstanding. I'm not using a walking stick for the first time in 3 years; and the result for me has been very postitive.

Mel.

Hi Lorri

I have never used a c-leg (and probably never will due to lack of funds...) but my CP thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread, and he reckons that it's one of the best for HD's.

As for feet, your CP can recommend a few. Remember that you can test drive them before you choose. Most feet come with a 30 to 60 day trial period.

Ally

Oh....and like Mel said, "c-leg" is a bit of a misnomer. It's a knee. Just a knee. Just a (fabulous) knee.

:)

I was told that the C-leg programming only accepts Otto Bock feet.

My prosthetist recommended the Rheo vs the C-leg for me ... who knows. my research suggested the C as I am ve active - apparently the rheo can take just as much. benefit is that it learns.

Have a non ossur fioot - the Renegade which appears excelent

I was told that the C-leg programming only accepts Otto Bock feet.

The c-leg 'program' will accept almost any foot. The trouble is that the warranty of the c-leg is nulled if you don't use an Otto Bock foot. And the warranty is something you want to take care of because maintenance on the c-leg is very expensive.

I am a newbie here, so forgive me if I am asking questions that have been posted before. :blink: I should be receiving a prosthesis sometime in the next couple of months. I am a LAK Hip Disartic. I will be getting one of those new fangled sockets (the suction type mentioned in another post), with a C-Leg. I'm wondering if the C-Leg has it's own integrated knee, or if it is a separate part. If so, I would love to hear what others are using. If you have a C-Leg, what kind of knee do you use...and what kind of foot do you use? I would also like to hear your impressions about these components. Thanks for your help...

Lorri

The C-Leg has the own knee integrated into it. I have a C-Leg for a below the knee amputation. I am having alot of trouble since they put my new socket on it. IN fact it is time for me to take my C- Leg in for warranty work. The foot is suppose to be the best one made but to me it doesn't have enough flex in it. And I advise you don't put the foam cover on it because it may only weigh a few ounces it feels like lbs when they add it to the leg.

Liz

Oh....and like Mel said, "c-leg" is a bit of a misnomer. It's a knee. Just a knee. Just a (fabulous) knee.

:)

The C-Leg has the own knee integrated into it. I have a C-Leg for a below the knee amputation. Liz

I am confused. If the C leg is really all about the knee - why is it being used as a BELOW the Knee prosthesis, after a BELOW the Knee amputation?

I am not being picky. I am a Below the Knee amputee, and still have my knee. What is it that I don't know - (Specificallly - there's a lot of other things that I don't know :lol: :lol: )?

Guest bearlover

I quess its for below the knee for those of us who have our knees? Only they elimanted the kneee since we below the knee have our knees! :wacko:

I quess its for below the knee for those of us who have our knees? Only they elimanted the kneee since we below the knee have our knees! :wacko:

:blink: ;) <_< Oh good. Now that clears it all up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:blink: ;) <_< Oh good. Now that clears it all up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Guess I am like you Jim, I thought only above knee amputees used a C-leg. :wacko: Guess in all

the conversations on the forum, I must have been dosing @ my computer when talking about it.

It's OK, you're not going nutty. :) The C-leg is a microprocessor assisted knee and it is only for above knee amps. I mean, why would you need two knees on one leg? :wacko:

Perhaps someone made a mistake and put 'below' instead of 'above'? :blink:

I'm not quite sure how you make that mistake though. :unsure: Unless you have both, of course! ;)

Lizzie :)