Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pixy

looking for some information

I need some information on problems that arise with having an over used heel pad and a botched vann ness.

I had a vann ness 15 years ago but it failed big time. the result the foot was taken off and only the heel pad remained. The heel was kept as a "weight barring surface" but has trouble holding the weight.

i was wondering if anyone has information on other failed vann Nes rotations or issues with heels on the end of stumps.

Hello Pixy. I can't help you at all on this one. I am a right BKA, and have no experiences with your Vann Ness.

I did just want to say hello and glad that you stopped in to ask. Others will be along shortly I'm sure with more smarts in this area than I.

You take care now, and let's hear from you more often. I'm sure there are others out there with your same questions - and experiences.

I know nothing about Van ness but I am a Symes (LBK). Before the amputation due to the weird shape of the foot the heel pad I had was never used as it was raised up in the air but since the op it has become the major weight bearing area. I do not usually have any problems unless I seriously overdo it but then the sole of my good foot is usually hurting too.

Is your problem because of pain or because the heel surface isn't stable or some other reason?

Sue

Hi Pixy

I know what you're talking about. :) It's a very rare op and I'd be surprised if you got many ops relating to the Van Ness rotation.

It was really unlucky of you to get a botched Van Ness! What happened to cause it to fail?

Anyway, regarding the Symes: Are you sure it's a Symes? Or is it a Boyd? Basically, do you still have your heel bone?

And, in answer to your question about heel pad stability: Yes, I have similar problems with mine. However, most of my problems are cured by wearing a silicon or gel liner inside a well fitting socket. The combination of the two ensure that the heel pad stays in the same place. What sort of socket do you have?

Lizzie :)

Oops! :blush: Sorry! That should have read:

I know what you're talking about. :) It's a very rare op and I'd be surprised if you got many replies relating to the Van Ness rotation.