Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cathryes

Any tips on reconditioning my stumps and what do you use with your gel

Like I said I've had poor fitting prosthetics for over 6 years which means its like having new amputation all over again. By this I mean I have pressure points I'm not use to.

To compound the problem I have really bad stumps that are due to scare tissue and really boney ends with nerve problems. Oh and lets not forget the bone spur:)

Because all of this I can not have a hard bottom and need a end pad. I used to use a material called "

A-2370" but just changed to new product called A-341 which is a soft gel almost like what the gel liner are made out of. Pain in the butt to use but was fun to mess around with it.. really messy..well back to my question :)

Any tips on reconditioning my stumps so I can be able to stand 5-6 hours? I was walking 1-2 miles a day but that just cause way to many blister( which I hope the new end pads will help here).

What materal do you use with your gel liner? ATM im using A&D cream so I dont have the pain of the gel liner right against the bottom of my stump.

Sorry for the run on:) Long day and its only 1pm

Like I said I've had poor fitting prosthetics for over 6 years which means its like having new amputation all over again. By this I mean I have pressure points I'm not use to.

To compound the problem I have really bad stumps that are due to scare tissue and really boney ends with nerve problems. Oh and lets not forget the bone spur:)

Because all of this I can not have a hard bottom and need a end pad. I used to use a material called "

A-2370" but just changed to new product called A-341 which is a soft gel almost like what the gel liner are made out of. Pain in the butt to use but was fun to mess around with it.. really messy..well back to my question :)

Any tips on reconditioning my stumps so I can be able to stand 5-6 hours? I was walking 1-2 miles a day but that just cause way to many blister( which I hope the new end pads will help here).

What materal do you use with your gel liner? ATM im using A&D cream so I dont have the pain of the gel liner right against the bottom of my stump.

First, I don't wear a gel liner - Dont't and Won't. I wear the super wool 5 ply. It absorbs the sweat better and allows my stump to "breathe". I wash my stump, put baby powder on it and then my wool sock, and have been doing it this way for 19 years. When I hear of all of the problems that others with gel liner have, I am glad that I never changed and succumbed to "progress".

To each their own.

Second - I had sores and blisters on my stump for the first 3 to 5 years, until I moved out of state and got another prosthetist. Wala - no more blisters as soon as he started myaking my legs. It was all in the fit.

MY stump also is full of scars and grafts, and the bone is right there under the skin. We put a foam sponge type of material in the bottom on the ill fitting legs, but mostly, they now fit so well that my stump rarely - if ever - hits the bottom. I still have a thin pad there though.

Well, I don't wear a gel liner, but I do use a silicone liner. When I need "slippage" under my liner, I use a few different things. I have used A&D ointment, also aloe, and I also use a silicone moisturizer that I get from my CP. Sometimes, I have used a regular hand moisturizer in a specific area of my stump if that is the only place I want it to be. I tend not to do that too often because of the closed enviroment though.

I am using a distall cup inside my liner for the extra cushion - I love it! I also use Adaptskin. My stump is so sensitive I use the Comfort Ag underliner, a distall cup then my aegis liner. You can get a free sample of the Comfort Ag and also of the Adaptskin (www.adaptlabs.com)

JudyH

I wore gel liners for the first 18 months, but I'd go through them so quickly, literally shredding them to bits, that they changed me to a silicone liner, which I adore.

I'm fairly lucky on the stump care front... I literally NEVER had problems with irritation from my gel liners (at least, not until they'd start springing holes and I'd start poking out!), and my only problem when I switched to silicone was that my first liner was a size too small and pinched... it was promptly replaced and I've been a happy camper ever since. Of course, I have a "good" stump to begin with: no grafts, a decent amount of soft tissue to provide padding, only one place where I have to worry about pressure points, and a neat and tidy incision scar with no adhesions. That, I'm positive, makes it easier for me than for some others.

I do use a mild, unscented, moisturizing body wash (at the moment, it's just your basic bottle of Dove for sensitive skin) when I wash my stump, and I massage it with a good unscented moisturizing lotion each night when I take my leg off before I go to bed. If, for some reason, my scar is feeling tight or itchy (very rarely, but possible), I use Sween 24 diabetic foot cream on the incision line after my shower. That's it!

Tammie, your comments on wanting to create slippage interest me. I've never felt that I "wanted" slippage: what's you reason for doing so, and how does it work?

Sorry, am a bit late on this as have been away. Cathryes, you stump sounds a bit like one of mine (am bilateral) with the boney ends and nerve problems, I also have skin grafting.

Overall, I find most of my problems occur when I have illfitting limbs and have had my share of them so know what you are saying. Like Jim, I also do not wear gel liners and find that socks seem to work best for me on both my stumps.

As for reconditioning, the only thing I use is a good quality moisture cream which I massage in. I also do this on my upper leg, where the graft was taken from, which somtimes get irritated by (I think, the silicon) the sleeve which holds that limb on, I find it works a treat on any red irritated spots and as a preventative. Apart from that nothing else, just good old soap and water.

Hey,

Life has been busy since I started school as a O and P tech and just had a chance to see a new Practitioner here in Spokane Washington. It took a few months for my insurance to kick in..anyhow my new Practitioner recomanded Mineral Oil. Ive only had a few days to test it out but it has helped alot and seems to last all day.

The funny thing its a laxitive...would never of thought of using such of a thing but hell it works:)

Even though it seems like im talking to my self..answering my own question, I figure I would let other know.

The good thing its cheap and its the same material as the liners are made out of so it wont hurt them.

I also tried that adaptskin which is nice but I just didnt like it in the end.

Mineral oil is not just a laxative. I use it on my teak salad bowl and my iron skillet!

Hi, I used to get blistering and rashes all the time on my graft areas on my stump. I just did what my grandmother told me and soaked it in a strong batch of tea for an hour a night. It toughend my scare tissue right up after just a few weeks.

Tammie, your comments on wanting to create slippage interest me. I've never felt that I "wanted" slippage: what's you reason for doing so, and how does it work?

To me, the 2 places that I want my liner to slip on purpose would be the back, right above the socket, and on the knee cap.. I don't often have problems, but have had a time or two in these areas. Sitting on a tractor for hours at a time, with leg bent, it would try to "pull" on the knee cap. It would just make it more comfortable if it would "slip" over the knee cap area. Since I have finally settled in and stopped shrinking, I don't really have that problem any more..

Hey

I just wanted to ask, well I am a RBK and since a few years after my amputation I've had a callous on the end , on the spot where they stitched my heal pad to the skin on the bottom of my shin. I had it removed once but it came back and it's a real pain, in a couple ways. One if I've been walking all day(which is common with me) but having to use the rough stone pad thing ( i forget the name) and lotion and stuff, but it's a constant battle with it. Anyone have ideas to fix this? and also I've had a gel liner since my first leg , what is the difference with things like the Wool thing and silicone liners?

If you have advice, I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks,

Darcy

I just wanted to ask, well I am a RBK and since a few years after my amputation I've had a callous on the end , on the spot where they stitched my heal pad to the skin on the bottom of my shin. I had it removed once but it came back and it's a real pain, in a couple ways. One if I've been walking all day(which is common with me) but having to use the rough stone pad thing ( i forget the name) and lotion and stuff, but it's a constant battle with it. Anyone have ideas to fix this? and also I've had a gel liner since my first leg , what is the difference with things like the Wool thing and silicone liners?

If you have advice, I'm open to any ideas.

Hi Darcy

You sound as though you've had a Symes (like me) or a Boyd 'amputation'? I've had the callous problem over the scar but, admittedly, not since I've been wearing a silicone liner. It probably depends on what sort of liner you have? :unsure:

Anyway, I deal with hard skin by moisturising it every night - sometimes with a normal hand cream and sometimes with a urea based cream. I also file down the hard skin, very, very, gently with a nail file (do you use a pumice stone?) every morning. And, also I use the Alps prosthetic skin lotion every morning. I know it's a real pain, but if it keeps you comfortable then ... :smile: Btw, if you have the callous removed by a podiatrist you need to make sure that they 'under operate' (you need to tell them this), otherwise the skin will come back thicker. :ph34r:

As for the difference between wool socks and silicone liners: if you're having problems with callous now, then you'll probably have more problems with wool socks. Don't get me wrong, wool/cotton socks are good in their own way (they keep the sweat away from your skin and so your legs don't tend to slip off when you get sweaty :wacko: ), but I think silicone liners are better (they cushion your legs and act as a buffer for the shearing stress - the stress that mostly causes the callous). :smile:

Hope this helps?

To me, the 2 places that I want my liner to slip on purpose would be the back, right above the socket, and on the knee cap.. I don't often have problems, but have had a time or two in these areas. Sitting on a tractor for hours at a time, with leg bent, it would try to "pull" on the knee cap. It would just make it more comfortable if it would "slip" over the knee cap area. Since I have finally settled in and stopped shrinking, I don't really have that problem any more..

I use a silicone lotion too when I need "slippage". Mostly for me it's right at the top of the liner (front and back), and sometimes down the outside of my thigh. Works a treat. There are times when it feels like the liner is latching onto my leg and trying to tear the skin right off - hello silicone stuff :smile:

I also use something to grease the upper part of the skin in the liner. It is calles PC 30.

http://www.terra-bio.de/downloads/PC30_Folder_e.pdf

It all depends on what's in the cream. I saw silicon dioxide in the list of ingredients, but there's also oil of rosemary and a few other ingredients that may affect some gel liners. I suppose it's best to ask your prosthetist before you use it? :unsure:

Nice to see you btw.

At the moment I use a silicon liner, before I have used gel-liners.....never hat problems with different kind of grease. There are maximum the upper 3 cm of my liner in contact with that grease. One problem was , that colour has changed.....but then I have use something with sun protection. :laugh:

One problem was , that colour has changed.....

Hmm ... that's what I was talking about: the PC30 cream/lotion/oil/grease could denature (and discolour) the liner material. :wacko:

PC 30 is white.

That was other stuff, which "tanned" the liner inside, but what is the problem? It´s inside..... :cool:

My experience is, that "rich cream" (??) helps me longer over the day , than this silicone oil.

PC 30 is white.

That was other stuff, which "tanned" the liner inside, but what is the problem? It´s inside..... :cool:

Well, it's like this, Thomas - my prosthetist advised me not to use any creams or lotions, as they could denature the gel and so reduce the cushioning. And, according to this pamphlet (which has creams/lotions ... etc., specifically designed for liners), not all products keep your liners 'healthy'. I also happened to speak from experience, as in desperation I have, in the past, used Diprobase cream ... and guess what? the liner didn't last as long! :rolleyes:

Just checked my liner.....it`s partly blue :unsure: ...jeans-blue.

I normally have "killed" my gel liners, before the gel could denature. :biggrin:

Seems I was to aktive for them.

I normally have "killed" my gel liners, before the gel could denature. :biggrin:

Seems I was to aktive for them.

Well, now you're just showing off ! :tongue:

:laugh::laugh: