Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Stormy1952

I Didn't Get All The Parts

:angry:I just went into the Otto Bock Web Site. And to my surprise I found out that my Orthotics tech didn't tell me about all the comfort and safety parts that were available for my C-Leg. I found an rotation adapter so that it would make it easy for me to put my shoes on or even cross my leg. The I found a Torsion Adaptor that would give my leg more mobility and a harmonic gait pattern. But last it is a totally different foot than what I have. They told me the one I had was the best. Ha, ha. I have to go have my warranty work done on my leg. Well they are going to find out how unhappy this camper I am. And while they have it in the shop they can get me fixed right so that I can walk without falling or else. I am so very glad that I have joinned this forum. It has shown me what I have been shorted just because they think I don't know about it and because I am medicare and medicaid. They have done messed with the wrong wildcat.

Liz

Torsion adapters need to have adequate space to be fitted. The rotator is a strange one, nearly every AK in Europe uses one but in Britain, and I guess America, they are never used. Can help a lot, especially in tight spaces like buses.

If you are falling on the C-Leg then it might be set up wrong within the computer and they should be able to fix that. I was just over in Germany at the Otto Bock factory (can write a story if people are interested) and they demonstrated the C-Leg there. He was saying that the whole point of the C-Leg is the security it offers patients and how he was prepared to jump and land on it, knowing it would never give way, which he then proceeded to show us.

Rotators take up build height usually too... I can vouch for how good they are... if any AK has the chance to have one, get it! I couldn't live without one... simple as that

Torsion adapters need to have adequate space to be fitted. The rotator is a strange one, nearly every AK in Europe uses one but in Britain, and I guess America, they are never used. Can help a lot, especially in tight spaces like buses.

If you are falling on the C-Leg then it might be set up wrong within the computer and they should be able to fix that. I was just over in Germany at the Otto Bock factory (can write a story if people are interested) and they demonstrated the C-Leg there. He was saying that the whole point of the C-Leg is the security it offers patients and how he was prepared to jump and land on it, knowing it would never give way, which he then proceeded to show us.

My leg goes in Tuesday for warranty work and I am going in armed with all the stuff I found on the website. I know they will holler Medicare and Medicaid won't pay for it. I look at it like this how do they know until they try. I wouldn't jump off on something on my leg right night if I had to to save my life. I don't trust my leg. I don't think the people who are working on it know what they are doing. I know that the tech is trying his best. Scnell just wanted to be the first in the state with the c-leg.

Liz

After being shown by someone from Otto Bock how to programme the C-Leg I still wouldn't be confident in it. What they should be doing is getting in touch with Otto Bock and having someone round to the clinic to help them programme it, so they will also know for the future. Otto Bock will be more than happy to help with the programming of it.

Good luck with the other parts, hope you give em' hell :D

My leg goes in Tuesday for warranty work and I am going in armed with all the stuff I found on the website. I know they will holler Medicare and Medicaid won't pay for it. I look at it like this how do they know until they try.

Liz

Liz,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble. I agree with Ali that it is probably a matter of how they have the leg programed. Of course, I'm a bk so I really don't have a clue on the set up.. One thing I will say though, and this is just for your information..to help you... As for what Medicare or Medicaid will or won't pay for, those are pretty much a set scale. They really don't change much. And it seems like it's always the most basic of things.. That's one of the reason's the ACA is pushing for parity laws in all states. So it is the same all over, in the US. Between insurance companies, Medicare,and Medicaid, it can be a zoo. :wacko:

As the other's have said, build heights are a huge issue. I am sort of vertically deprived,(rather short) and I have a huge problem with trying to get componets to fit in the amount of space that they have to work with. Sometimes, even the low profile componets can be a problem trying to get them in the space that I have. Not always do-able.

Good luck, I hope they get it set on Tuesday so you don't have so much trouble.

After being shown by someone from Otto Bock how to programme the C-Leg I still wouldn't be confident in it. What they should be doing is getting in touch with Otto Bock and having someone round to the clinic to help them programme it, so they will also know for the future. Otto Bock will be more than happy to help with the programming of it.

Good luck with the other parts, hope you give em' hell :D

I thought Bock insisted on the Prosthetists who fit it going on their course? Is that not true Ali?

That is what I thought too. When set up correctly, the C-Leg should be one of, if not the, most stable knee around so I am surprised to hear what is happening. Maybe it is other factors, who knows.

I took my leg back today for the warranty work. They almost could get the loaner leg to program and it is an older model c-leg and is way heavier. Well I brought up the parts I wanted like the rotator adaptor, the torsion adaptor, and the Greissinger foot. I got told by the tech he would have to do more research into the torsion adaptor and some into the rotator. But he told me I wouldn't like the foot. So I argued with him the reason I wanted the foot because of it being more stable. Well he finally gave in and said he would try to get one so I could try it out to see if I would like it. These people are such idiots. It is going to take a month for my warranty work to get done and I bet it won't be any better.

Liz

Research into torsion adapters and rotators, anyone on my course could tell you about them. It is usually a question in the exam!

Research into torsion adapters and rotators, anyone on my course could tell you about them. It is usually a question in the exam!

Would you please explain them to me please?

And while your at it...could you also explain the different feet that work with the C-leg and what are the pros and cons...

Thanks...Lorri

Not speaking for Ali, but what they mean to me...

Rotator... a device above the knee, on an above knee limb, that allows the lower part of the leg to rotate through 360 degrees at the push of a button. This allows one to be more comfortable sitting in tight spaces, on the floor, in cars etc. and allows clothes and specially shoes to be changed much more easily.

Torsion adaptor... a device, usually mounted in the shin, that allows torsional compliance. Allows one to twist at the hips whilst the foot stays routed to the ground. Mine also allows some telescopic action too, so there's a shock absorbing effect at heel strike, just like the suspension spring on a car or motorcycle forks.

Hey, Liz! :D :D I'm a LAK and I live with my family in the Jonesboro area. Glad to "see" another Arkansan on here! :D :D

Not speaking for Ali, but what they mean to me...

Rotator... a device above the knee, on an above knee limb, that allows the lower part of the leg to rotate through 360 degrees at the push of a button. This allows one to be more comfortable sitting in tight spaces, on the floor, in cars etc. and allows clothes and specially shoes to be changed much more easily.

Torsion adaptor... a device, usually mounted in the shin, that allows torsional compliance. Allows one to twist at the hips whilst the foot stays routed to the ground. Mine also allows some telescopic action too, so there's a shock absorbing effect at heel strike, just like the suspension spring on a car or motorcycle forks.

I would be happy with that. If you mount a torsion adapter above the knee then you can have problems with whip so it pretty much has to be below the knee, but as close to the knee as possible. This is what makes me suspicious with having one in the C-Leg because the knee itself is such a long unit the torque adapter would be very near the foot.

As for feet, we usually learn about individual feet at placement as the course isn't allowed to show any preference for a single brand. For what foot you should use, it depends on a lot of issues, your activity level, your weight, the build height allowed by the knee and what is recommended by the manufacturer.I would imagine you would want an Otto Bock foot for the sake of keeping a warranty on the knee however.

The C-Leg torsion adapter is built into the shin tube (at the bottom) but you have to ask for it at the time of purchase. I only found this out a couple of months after I got my first C-Leg. Otto Bock wouldn't replace the tube, but they would sell me a new one (strange).

When I had my 2nd C-Leg made I went through the whole catalogue to make sure I got everything I needed first time including the right colour chasis

As for the rotator, as previously mentioned this is limited by available space. I had to wait until I had a new socket beofre I could have one fitted otherwise my knees would have been at different heights.

I'm puzzeled by your comments about the loaner leg being heavier. I have both the 1st and 2nd generation C-legs and can't tell the difference between them, I'm also currently having the 1st one serviced and when my prosthetist swapped mine with the loaner I didn't even notice. The leg can FEEL heavier if the settings change but otherwise there shouldn't be any difference I'd ask them to get a technician from otto bock to have a look at your settings and see if they can offer some advice.

Good luck and keep us posted

I'm puzzeled by your comments about the loaner leg being heavier.

I have a loaner C-leg right now and have noticed that it "feels" heavier as well. I think it is because the hydraulics are a bit "looser" with the loaner legs...thus with the same program as my leg there seems to be less resistance on the swing. This causes the leg to swing forward and back faster...which translates into it "feeling" heavier.

And BTW, I was told that they currently have a 6-week turnaround on warranty work.

I'm puzzeled by your comments about the loaner leg being heavier.

I have a loaner C-leg right now and have noticed that it "feels" heavier as well. I think it is because the hydraulics are a bit "looser" with the loaner legs...thus with the same program as my leg there seems to be less resistance on the swing. This causes the leg to swing forward and back faster...which translates into it "feeling" heavier.

And BTW, I was told that they currently have a 6-week turnaround on warranty work.

I have I think is what is the first c-leg made for a loaner. It is heavier because the tech told me it was. In fact he almost couldn't get the thing to take my settings. They use an older model laptop and Windows 98 program to program the legs. I may wind up having to go to head office in Little Rock, AR about my problems.

The C-Leg torsion adapter is built into the shin tube (at the bottom) but you have to ask for it at the time of purchase. I only found this out a couple of months after I got my first C-Leg. Otto Bock wouldn't replace the tube, but they would sell me a new one (strange).

When I had my 2nd C-Leg made I went through the whole catalogue to make sure I got everything I needed first time including the right colour chasis

As for the rotator, as previously mentioned this is limited by available space. I had to wait until I had a new socket beofre I could have one fitted otherwise my knees would have been at different heights.

I'm puzzeled by your comments about the loaner leg being heavier. I have both the 1st and 2nd generation C-legs and can't tell the difference between them, I'm also currently having the 1st one serviced and when my prosthetist swapped mine with the loaner I didn't even notice. The leg can FEEL heavier if the settings change but otherwise there shouldn't be any difference I'd ask them to get a technician from otto bock to have a look at your settings and see if they can offer some advice.

Good luck and keep us posted

Why didn't the Otto Bock say that the torsion adaptor had to come with the original leg. That really sucks. The tech told me I couldn't have a new c-leg for five years according to Medicare. I think they are so full of bull S..T. As far as the loaner being heavier the tech even told me it was heavier. I just had a new socket made before I found out about the rotator. I just hope God smiles on me a I get at least the rotator.

Liz

Unless you play a lot of golf or do a lot of hill walking then the torsion adapter wont change your life dramatically. The rotator will be something you can get with your next socket, space permitting I am sure. Just stick out and it will all turn out well :D

I am getting two of the three parts I was wanting. It took me calling the home office of Snell Prosthetics to get what I needed. They called me this morning and told me none of the parts would fit my leg. Well I stuck to my guns and with God's help I got what I needed. :D

way to go stormy I am glad that you atleast got 2 out of the 3 you wanted now you can listen to meatloaf's bat out of hell sorry I like music LOL