Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Stormy1952

Devotee

20/20 or one of the other "alleged" news magazine shows profiled Body Identity Disorder (or amputee wannabees)...The three people profiled all stated that they felt they had to be amputees to be "whole" individuals. The theory was that their brains desired to be amputees...just as someone who has gender issues desires to be of the opposite gender. Both the program and the aritcle in The Star.com stated that these people have no control over these feelings. It is just how they feel. It sounds strange to us as amputees to wonder why anyone would want to become an amputee willingly, yet, I believe the brain is a powerful and mysterious thing that we are only beginning to understand. Someone who has turrets syndrome, doesn't want to have a "tick" or make verbal noises or swear openly and uncontrollably. He can't control these actions. Why is it not possible to believe that someone's brain has malfunctioned and they don't feel right because they wish they were missing a limb. Yes, wannabe's and devotees, seem very strange to me, but I'm not always sure one can help feeling the way that they do.

That being said, :blink: I was pretty pissed off when I tried to find legitimate peer suport groups after my amputation. Many of the Yahoo groups were no longer in existence because they had been taken over by Devotees and there was no longer any discussions being posted by amputees. I am very glad to have found this site! (Thanks again to Tigertatt...He told me of this site)

Am the 100th poster on this topic :D

It sounds strange to us as amputees to wonder why anyone would want to become an amputee willingly, yet, I believe the brain is a powerful and mysterious thing that we are only beginning to understand. Someone who has turrets syndrome, doesn't want to have a "tick" or make verbal noises or swear openly and uncontrollably. He can't control these actions. Why is it not possible to believe that someone's brain has malfunctioned and they don't feel right because they wish they were missing a limb. :D

I agree with that, I also know that some will do it for nothing more than attention. As for Devotees, I've never knowingly come across any. I didn't know they existed until I read about them on another forum and I certainly haven't been pested by them - I guess I'm just too good looking :)

Having read all the way through this topic for the first time tonight, I suddenly realise that maybe I am a devotee, because I am an amputee and I certainly like myself :)

Legless

The one thing I noticed in the show I have seen, is that the ones that went "all the way" and are now real amputees had no desire to get a prosthetic leg and move on in life and be a normal productive person.

Most wanted to sit in a wheelchair or hop around on crutches. Not one of them wanted to go "unnoticed" with their condition. I dont have a problem with someone wanting to take their limb or their head off, not for me to judge but I do have a problem with someone WANTING to be a burden on someone else close to them.

A person who desires a gender change wants to feel and look normal AND wants to lead a productive life.

A person with Turrets wants to feel and look normal AND wants to lead a productive life.

If a person wants to take a limb off AND wants to get a prosthetic one, I could not care less about it. but,

them confusing basic health care and needs with love and devotion is what needs to be addressed.

Somewhere they have got that mixed up. Its along the same lines as Mauncousen (sp) syndrome where they harm themselves or others just to get attention of health care providers.

Well said, Dave.

On the ABC show 20/20, one man who had become an amputee by (I think) putting his feet in dry ice, talked to the journalist and he is now on anti-depressants and believes he would not have done the deed had he been on them at the time. Which, of course, lead to the question...are these people just depressed? Is this something that can be cured?

Everyone is right in there definition of a devotee and I think this forum is really great, I would be cautious but dont think everyone is a devotee....but having a leg makes me who I am today, and relationships are tough, guys in general are tough and I have been through a few and its a hard act....but always be friends anad find out about someone who you like, before jumping into something....I learned that if you just push something that wasnt meant to be pushed...then you will end up hurt every single time...everyone has someone....but dont go looking for Mr Right....let him find you....being friends is one of the best things you can do....its just my opinion

Shelby I am on facebook too....and I know people from here and the camp for amputees I went to, and its an awesome experience...

Love yourself and respect yourself and everything will fall into place.

Lesley