Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
girly_wales

Follicilits

Hey everyone, its been ages since i posted here but ive come into some trouble with my legs recently.

ive had 4 years of nice and easy life, with no trouble with my legs (well only minor that is usually sorted out)

Recently i have however been gettin sore bits in a ring under my knee, pretty much going right around the stump itself.

Last week i had an awesome spot, so i had to burst it (well actually i got my boyfriend to do it) (it was VERY mucky) it did hurt a little but nothig like the pain that i was already experiencing because of this spot.

So now over the past two weeks the pain has been quite unbearable. I just dont know what to do, ive been washing them, cleaning my liners, moisturising them, trying to stay off them, crawling aroudn which just results in my knees becoming sore also. this past week it has really got me down as ihavent been able to do my usual things. i.e running rainbows, actively doing cadets.

Any way has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? Did it work?

Any suggestions would be much appreciacted.

if you could email them to me as i cannot remember my password to this site (im currently on my [parents computer which has the password automatically installed.)

Cheers for reading a listening to me moan

Andy xxx

Hey everyone, its been ages since i posted here but ive come into some trouble with my legs recently.

ive had 4 years of nice and easy life, with no trouble with my legs (well only minor that is usually sorted out)

Recently i have however been gettin sore bits in a ring under my knee, pretty much going right around the stump itself.

Last week i had an awesome spot, so i had to burst it (well actually i got my boyfriend to do it) (it was VERY mucky) it did hurt a little but nothig like the pain that i was already experiencing because of this spot.

So now over the past two weeks the pain has been quite unbearable. I just dont know what to do, ive been washing them, cleaning my liners, moisturising them, trying to stay off them, crawling aroudn which just results in my knees becoming sore also. this past week it has really got me down as ihavent been able to do my usual things. i.e running rainbows, actively doing cadets.

Any way has anyone else experienced this? What did you do? Did it work?

Any suggestions would be much appreciacted.

if you could email them to me as i cannot remember my password to this site (im currently on my [parents computer which has the password automatically installed.)

If it's really folliculitis, have you tried salt water baths? Twice a day? If the folliculitis is bad you may need to use an antibiotic cream & if it gets really bad, you may need systemic antibiotics. But, the most important thing is to completely rest your leg...I know that's not something you probably want to hear, but it's the only thing I've found to be effective when I have developed something like that.

Btw, was it you who was nursing? If so, how's it going? :)

Lizzie :)

I'm plagued with them also Andy. When mine got really bad last week I called the doc for an anitbiotic. That took care of the pain within a couple of days. I grin and bear all pain when it comes to wearing my leg. I absolutely hate being legless.

I'm thinking the cause of mine comes from shrinkage. I don't pay enough attention to adding socks when needed. The least little friction with me will result in an infected hair follicle. Being clean is good, but I don't really think that is what causes mine. I wash stumpy everyday with good ol' soap and water. We've tried everything.

A client of mine who had an infected hair follicle on the back of his neck told me that his doctor told him that the core has to be surgically removed or it will continue to be a problem. I'm going to call my doc and legman next week to find out for sure if this is true.

I was told that if you surgically remove an inflammed hair follicle on a pressure area you run the risk of scar tissue breaking down when it has to cope with pressure (from weight bearing) and becoming infected at a later date. You can't win really, can you?

I've only had them on my AK & mine became so inflammed that they developed into sebaecous cysts. :( When I had arthritis, a few years ago, one of them actually calcified, so now I've got a little hard lump...it's not a problem as long as I keep pressure away from it. :huh:

Well fitting limbs are a very good point, Neal. My limbs are very well fitting at the moment & I hardly get any problems...touch wood!

Hey,

I have been trying to rest my legs, but i can only do so much because of being in uni. I've also been trying to soak them twice a day aswell cleaning my liners twice a day.

on a different note, ive just had two new liners, iceros orgininal, they are white and thinner than my old ones, but these arent causing the problems as i have only worn them about 3/4 days this week.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Lizzie,- yeah it is me that is doing nursing, it is going really well and im enjoying it. currently in my second year and in the theory side of it. going out on the wards in november- cant wait.

:-)

Andy x

I have been trying to rest my legs, but i can only do so much because of being in uni. I've also been trying to soak them twice a day aswell cleaning my liners twice a day.

on a different note, ive just had two new liners, iceros orgininal, they are white and thinner than my old ones, but these arent causing the problems as i have only worn them about 3/4 days this week.

It could be the fit of your limbs, especially if you have a 'fat roll', as most of us ladies have... :wacko: Or, it could be the excitement of going on the wards - honestly! Just a little change to your routine can do that.

Either way, so that you'll be fit and raring to go in November, I suggest you make an appointment to see your GP (for antibiotic cover) and your prosthetist (to check the fitting). Once you're on the wards you'll be standing for a fair amount of the day & you won't have much time to get your legs sorted. Oh & btw, when you have salt baths, make sure you put in two good handfuls of salt in each bath.

Enjoy yourself in November! :D