Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Karen

Our Marcia

Most of you know that Marcia (MMarie) was here in Orlando being fit for a prosthesis over the past week. During that time, an area on her thigh that had bothering her for some time became inflamed and red. She flew home yesterday and when she woke up this morning the "mass" was the size of a tennis ball! She went to the doctor right away and it was identified as a staph infection!!!!! :o They immediately went to the hospital and she underwent surgery to remove/cleanup the area. Don, her husband, just called me to say that all went well and she was lucky they got to it when they did, and the doctors are fairly sure that after a few days in the hospital on IV antibiotics she wil be OK to go home. Results of tests to confirm that they got all the infection will be in on Monday.

Please keep this sweet lady in your thoughts and prayers! I'm just sick about this! Wish I had insisted she see a doctor here, but as Don said, then he'd have been flying down to Orlando and they'd be away from home. Pray that all the infection has been removed and for a quick recovery.

XO

Karen

Karen,

Thanks so much for the update on Marcia.... I knew she was planning on seeing the doctor when she got home and was making appointments. I'm glad that they got it before it was worse.. or any deeper.

Don is right, if she had saw a doc in Orlando, then she would be dealing with all of this away from home. Her daughter is a nurse too, so being a home, I'm sure is a big blessing. Those infections can be a nasty nasty thing.

As for the prayers, she's already there and being prayed for, on my list.... Thanks again for update....

Oh my word.....! Thanks for letting us know, Karen... I'll keep her in my thoughts and hope to hear that she's infection-free by Monday!

Karen, Marcia is in my thoughts.

Higgy, having a nurse in the family isn't all it's cracked up to be. They will help cure the physical problem and at the same time leave you mentally scarred.

Karen

I am grateful that you kept us informed. I sensed from Marcia's last post that something was not right. I am so very sorry that things turned out the way that they did with regard to Marcia not getting a new leg, but a staff infection instead. I am glad to hear that she is home and in good care. My friend Marcia has been through a great deal, and I know that she has got what it takes to get through this new tennis ball size bump in the road. My best wishes going out to you all, especially Marcia and Don. They know that they have our love and support, and I look forward to when we can all be together again, and in good health.

Love, :wub:

What a bummer!!!!!!!!!

She was so excited about the new leg. I'm so glad she got to the doc when she did. I hope she makes a very quick recovery.

Actually, the GOOD news is that her new leg was finished and fit great! The staf infection was located on the inner thigh above the knee, so didn't affect the casting/fitting process. Once the infection clears up, she is ready to roll!

XO

Karen

Higgy, having a nurse in the family isn't all it's cracked up to be. They will help cure the physical problem and at the same time leave you mentally scarred.

Only some of them, I think...Sparky. I have grown up with a family of nurses and medical staff, and for us, there hasn't been any scarring.... Just good support, information and suggestions. When there has been end of life patients, all of that knowledge had been extremely useful.

Karen,

I know Marcia has great hopes in this leg..she said she never knew a leg could fit like that, do you think that the sleeve will pose any problems for her for a while?

Thanks again for the updates...

(((((Marcia & Don)))))

How scary- for both of you! Of all the crazy things to happen... Love, hugs and prayers to you guys and will especially pray that the test results on Monday show that the infection is completely gone! Heal quickly my friend, so you can be up and running on that new fabulous leg!! :)

Much Love,

Cheri

P.S. Thank you Karen for updating all of us!!! Marcia had mentioned in an email to me what great care you gave her while she was there!!

Thank you Karen. Marcia is definitely in my thoughts. She is a very special person.....

"Marcia" get well soon...I hear that your leg was already finished & is ready for you when you are well. Just to update you !! Hanger is also making me a new leg....AND it just better be OK this time :blink: or heads will roll.

A little update....

I spoke with Marcia an hour ago. She was waiting for the doctor to come in and "unpack" her wound and let her know when she could leave the hospital. Hopefully, she'll be able to write her own updates from home pretty soon. If not, I'll keep you all informed.

Marcia says thank you for all your good thoughts and prayers..... so far, so good!

XO Karen

A little update....

I spoke with Marcia an hour ago. She was waiting for the doctor to come in and "unpack" her wound and let her know when she could leave the hospital. Hopefully, she'll be able to write her own updates from home pretty soon. If not, I'll keep you all informed.

Marcia says thank you for all your good thoughts and prayers..... so far, so good!

XO Karen

Thanks Karen for the information.....do you know what caused this infection? Wasn't it a staff infection? I always thought you only got those from a previous wound.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the good wishes. I got home late this afternoon and am so glad to be here :) All is well. The wound care people said it looks real good so now I have to take oral antibiotics and go to wound care for a week before I see the doctor again. I hope I'll be able to wear my leg in a few days. The swelling from the infection is gone so if it's not too tender I'm going to give it a go, probably this weekend.

Nobody can say for sure how I got this. It is staph, MRSA, to be exact. I had no open wound. I'm told that MRSA used to be acquired only in the hospital but in the last few years it has gotten out into the community. One of the surgery nurses told me they see a lot of it and my nurse daughter says it too. My doctor said it's possible that if my prosthesis was rubbing a lot (it was) that could cause a hematoma and blood is a great medium for bacteria. So that's a definite possibility. It was just such a shock. I went to the dr for an 8:30am appt and he wanted to send me to the outpatient surgery facility next door right then but I had eaten. I was like - whoa, I don't even have a toothbrush :o I was in surgery at 2:30pm and now I'm all better.

I can wait to get all this behind me so I can get going on my new leg.

Thanks again for thinking of me.

My step mother got MRSA last year. She works in a hospital and had to take off for 6 weeks because it is highly contagious (even to animals. We were woried about our 4 dogs). She has no idea how she got it but she just got it again and the doctor just gave her anti-biotics.

Anyway, glad to hear things are doing well! Keep us posted!

Marcia, I'm so glad to hear that everything appears to be on the mend! MRSA is a scary thing... that's what just about took me out of here and did lose me my leg a couple of years back... I'm glad they got yours under control quickly.

If it's possible to find an "upside" to MRSA, it might be this: Once you've been "colonized" by the bacteria (isn't that a lovely term?) you are forevermore guaranteed top-flight medical care and a private room for all hospitalizations! (Yeah, I know... but at least it's something...!)

It's good to have you back!

Hey Lady.... glad your back... you were missed...

I'm sorry to hear that it was a MRSA infection... but.. Cheryl does have a point about the top flight care from now on...

Take your time and don't rush... but..... in the same token, I do understand wanting to have your leg on...

Talk to you soon......

Hey, Marcia! Add me to the pot of well wishers. I'll be sending only the best vibes your way a hope for a speedy recovery. Take care! :)

Glad that you're home. What a scary situation. Take things easy for a few days, but then you need to get on that leg and ride. ;) :D

Went to wound care yesterday and the dr opened it up some more. Yikes... I know that's probably more information than anybody wanted, but damn it hurt :wacko:

Hi Marie, I'm So.. glad that everything worked out so far, remember to let it heal fully so it doesn't come back to haunt you. I know you'll like your new leg, Have you nemed it yet? :lol: :lol: Have a great day and take it easy... Jerry

Marcia,

Lots of prayers and wishes that things heal quickly for you and that you're in a new leg soon.

Take care.

Caroln

Marcia, I am also glad you are recovering and your new leg is fitting well. Best wishes on your complete recovery!