Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Hopalong

C-Leg Foot

I'm getting my C-Leg in November. I"d like to ask all you C-Legggers what foot do you use with it and I'd like to hear your opinions and feelings on the foot you use.

Thanks...

Lorri

Looks like the C-leg users don't want to admit to having a nonOtto Bock foot so they don't void their warranty :P

Maybe you should make this a hypothetical question of "If you could use ANY foot with your C-leg what foot would you like best?" :rolleyes:

Looks like the C-leg users don't want to admit to having a nonOtto Bock foot so they don't void their warranty :P

Maybe you should make this a hypothetical question of "If you could use ANY foot with your C-leg what foot would you like best?" :rolleyes:

Ok...Let me rephrase my question...If you could use ANY foot with your C-leg, what foot would you like best and why?

Thanks Tiger...is there anyone out there with a C-leg...Even Otto Bock has more than one type of foot. :blink:

Mmmmm, I don't think you should even entertain a thought of a non-Otto Boch foot. Even if it works miles better.

Stupid warranty............

:glare:

Mmmmm, I don't think you should even entertain a thought of a non-Otto Boch foot. Even if it works miles better.

Stupid warranty............

:glare:

I wear a Luxon Max foot. I have heard, that the new Elation must be good.

Changing feet was for me not possible, because my old Variflex builds too high for my c-leg hardware....and just changing feet for only some hours is not my thing. Would sound like shoe shopping. :lol:

I was smiling, when I read your post Ally. At another place you wrote, that changes in your prosthesis are not your thing. Warranty is here about 3 years + extra 2 years if you pay for it. Would you change after 5 years the foot? :glare:

Tks Tiger, I was gonna say the same thing about the foot thingie lol. What I hear is that otto bock is selling there stock that has been on the shelf for 10 yearw or more. They don't want to take a loss on there stock. Personally I don't think the warentee had anythig to do with the knee just them wanting to rid of there old stock. I was never told there wre other feet out there and had to stay with the garbage stuff.

The reason the foot choice is limited on the C-Leg is the way it works. It has a sensor that measures how much the shin tube is deflecting and uses this information to work out where your weight is on the foot eg:

1) All of your weight is on the toe (like it is when you are walking). The knee resistance is at zero to enable the foot to swing through for your next step.

2) All of your weight is on the heel, with nothing on your toe (like it would be at when decending stairs). The resistance is beefed up in the knee to allow you to decend in a controlled manner.

3) Your weight is evenly distributed between your heel and toe. There is some resistance to assist standing, or at least save you worring about keeping the knee straight like you do with some other knees.

Because of this whichever foot you use has to transmit a certain amount of stress to the shin tube in order that the sensor will get enough data to enable the knee to work correctly. If you have a really flexible foot then the knee would never break because it wouldn't know you were trying to walk.

So that is why you are limited on foot choice. As for why you can only use Otto Bock feet? well if you were them would you test your competitors products when you could force them to buy yours?

I have 2 C-Legs, one with a C-Walk foot and the other with the Trias foot and I can't tell the difference, all I know is they work brilliantly. I have also tried a couple of other microprocessor knees (the IP+ and the Rheo) with different feet but, as a package, neither came close to the C-Leg.

Hope that helps.

The reason the foot choice is limited on the C-Leg is the way it works. It has a sensor that measures how much the shin tube is deflecting and uses this information to work out where your weight is on the foot eg:

1) All of your weight is on the toe (like it is when you are walking). The knee resistance is at zero to enable the foot to swing through for your next step.

2) All of your weight is on the heel, with nothing on your toe (like it would be at when decending stairs). The resistance is beefed up in the knee to allow you to decend in a controlled manner.

3) Your weight is evenly distributed between your heel and toe. There is some resistance to assist standing, or at least save you worring about keeping the knee straight like you do with some other knees.

Because of this whichever foot you use has to transmit a certain amount of stress to the shin tube in order that the sensor will get enough data to enable the knee to work correctly. If you have a really flexible foot then the knee would never break because it wouldn't know you were trying to walk.

So that is why you are limited on foot choice. As for why you can only use Otto Bock feet? well if you were them would you test your competitors products when you could force them to buy yours?

I have 2 C-Legs, one with a C-Walk foot and the other with the Trias foot and I can't tell the difference, all I know is they work brilliantly. I have also tried a couple of other microprocessor knees (the IP+ and the Rheo) with different feet but, as a package, neither came close to the C-Leg.

Hope that helps.

I am soon to go on a knee trial with the IP+ from the NHS. I have private Rheo knee with a renegade foot for the last 2 week (private prescription). Would be interested as to why you think the C is better than the rheo for you. My private prosthetist said I would be better with Rheo...The C seem loved by all. no one has a rheo.....

what sort of things do you do?

thanks

I'm a Theatre lighting technician so from time to time I have to work in a climbing harness on scaffolding-like structures. I carry heavy loads up & down stairs & ramps both on my own and as part of a team. I can be working from 9am to 2am the following morning. Part of my work is outside so I often get wet and have to deal with slippery surfaces.

Because of all of that I need my leg to be reliable. It needs to perform correctly & predictably every single time, without exception. Because of the ammount of time I wear it it also needs to be easy to use both mechanically and physically (as in I don't want to have to put too much effort into concentrating on my gate or making it swing etc.). This is all in addition to socket comfort.

When I tried the Rheo it was because of the supposed ability to run along with its ability to re-program itself to speed up as my walking improved over time and adapt as my weight fluctuates. Unfortunately I could not get it to work on stairs. I'd walk down the stairs from the back of the theatre to the front (78 steps) whilst carrying a computer monitor (approx 40lbs) the knee would just constantly break on my until the last few steps. It felt like hopping down the stairs without planning to, not good for my ankle. Then I'd try and go down stairs without carrying anything and the knee wouldn't bend because it had reprogramed itself to think that I weighed 40lbs more than I did. Also it seemed very suseptable to high voltage equipment (such as the dimmers we use to make theatre lights work) and also some wireless electronic devices, I once dropped my phone past it (while on a call) and the knee just locked, I had to switch it off then back on to get it to work again.

In addition the fluid that controls the knee freezes at quite a high temperature, after riding my motorcycle home one night the knee had frozen in the fully flexed position and stayed like that for about an hour, until the fluid had defrosted. This was after a 5 mile ride.

The other thing is, at the time, the rheo has a 3 year warrantee, the C-Leg has 5 years although this may have changed.

In conclusion, Ifound the Rheo heavier (it may be lighter, I'm not sure, but once you add all the extra hardware required to connect a shin tube and foot it FEELS a lot heavier) less reliable, more cumbersome and less desireable to look at, if nothing else the C-Leg looks cool.

That is not to say that the Rheo doesn't have any good points. You get the PDA to change its settings for different activities (I did not get this on my trial but doubt that I would have used it) the C-Leg only has one extra mode which can limit you if you like sports. The Rheo can be switched off which is really handy if you're likely to be away from a power supply for a few days (camping for example), the C-Leg is on all the time it is not plugged into a charger, this means a fully charged leg lasts 2 day not matter how much you use it. And obviously you hav a wider choice of feet with the Rheo over the C-Leg.

However with the saving you'll make by only replacing every 5 years rather than every 3 you should be able to get another (basic) leg made to sort any specific activity you want to do which will give you an emergency spare and a leg that is designed for your chosen activity rather than having to make do with the one.

Wow, that was a lot of typing. well done for reading this far.

Just a quick note about the IP+, I found it quite good as a budget microprocessor knee, its swing control is good but it has a breaked knee so it CAN'T go down stairs. Not suitabe for me but not a bad product.

Ha, bet you thought I was about to go off on one again didn't you????

Well good news, that it for now. Hope that all made sense, if not ask me another question.

I'm a Theatre lighting technician so from time to time I have to work in a climbing harness on scaffolding-like structures. I carry heavy loads up & down stairs & ramps both on my own and as part of a team. I can be working from 9am to 2am the following morning. Part of my work is outside so I often get wet and have to deal with slippery surfaces.

Because of all of that I need my leg to be reliable. It needs to perform correctly & predictably every single time, without exception. Because of the ammount of time I wear it it also needs to be easy to use both mechanically and physically (as in I don't want to have to put too much effort into concentrating on my gate or making it swing etc.). This is all in addition to socket comfort.

When I tried the Rheo it was because of the supposed ability to run along with its ability to re-program itself to speed up as my walking improved over time and adapt as my weight fluctuates. Unfortunately I could not get it to work on stairs. I'd walk down the stairs from the back of the theatre to the front (78 steps) whilst carrying a computer monitor (approx 40lbs) the knee would just constantly break on my until the last few steps. It felt like hopping down the stairs without planning to, not good for my ankle. Then I'd try and go down stairs without carrying anything and the knee wouldn't bend because it had reprogramed itself to think that I weighed 40lbs more than I did. Also it seemed very suseptable to high voltage equipment (such as the dimmers we use to make theatre lights work) and also some wireless electronic devices, I once dropped my phone past it (while on a call) and the knee just locked, I had to switch it off then back on to get it to work again.

In addition the fluid that controls the knee freezes at quite a high temperature, after riding my motorcycle home one night the knee had frozen in the fully flexed position and stayed like that for about an hour, until the fluid had defrosted. This was after a 5 mile ride.

The other thing is, at the time, the rheo has a 3 year warrantee, the C-Leg has 5 years although this may have changed.

In conclusion, Ifound the Rheo heavier (it may be lighter, I'm not sure, but once you add all the extra hardware required to connect a shin tube and foot it FEELS a lot heavier) less reliable, more cumbersome and less desireable to look at, if nothing else the C-Leg looks cool.

That is not to say that the Rheo doesn't have any good points. You get the PDA to change its settings for different activities (I did not get this on my trial but doubt that I would have used it) the C-Leg only has one extra mode which can limit you if you like sports. The Rheo can be switched off which is really handy if you're likely to be away from a power supply for a few days (camping for example), the C-Leg is on all the time it is not plugged into a charger, this means a fully charged leg lasts 2 day not matter how much you use it. And obviously you hav a wider choice of feet with the Rheo over the C-Leg.

However with the saving you'll make by only replacing every 5 years rather than every 3 you should be able to get another (basic) leg made to sort any specific activity you want to do which will give you an emergency spare and a leg that is designed for your chosen activity rather than having to make do with the one.

Wow, that was a lot of typing. well done for reading this far.

Just a quick note about the IP+, I found it quite good as a budget microprocessor knee, its swing control is good but it has a breaked knee so it CAN'T go down stairs. Not suitabe for me but not a bad product.

Ha, bet you thought I was about to go off on one again didn't you????

Well good news, that it for now. Hope that all made sense, if not ask me another question.

thanks for the extensive notes, very useful. I too need reliability, ladders and stairs are a constant in my work as a marine surveyor. was ok in today's cold, though the real leg was chilled through!. the rheo is very good, I have it with a carbon fobre socket and a renegade foot. 30 stairs to the front door of the house and bedroom on the 3rd floor! Hope I don't get it wet - need some more insurance I think.will definately try the c next time.

when looking at costs, thought the 5 year would be less on the Rheo

Ok well as a c-leg user & very happy about it I use the trias foot (Bock). Have been a college park (tru step) foot lover for quite some time - I dont' doubt that this foot equals the same & happy to say so.

But hell I'm lucky to be ealking what can i say?

Mel x

Ok well as a c-leg user & very happy about it I use the trias foot (Bock). Have been a college park (tru step) foot lover for quite some time - I dont' doubt that this foot equals the same & happy to say so.

But hell I'm lucky to be ealking what can i say?

Mel x

I'd love to ealk too.

Rheo going well

merry chrinble

Ealking is what Mel does after a few red wines....pay no attention :P :lol: :lol:

I use the 1c40 C-Walk Foot by Otto Bock

http://www.ottobockus.com/products/lower_l...s/feet_1c40.asp

1c40_02.jpg

Before I had the 1c40 I had the Axtion.

I didn't like the Axtion because I felt that it was to stiff.

The 1c40 is very fluid, and provides a lot of ankle motion.

I haven't tried any of the other feet by Otto Bock, but I am interested in trying the Trias.