Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Shane

Shhhhh...don't tell anyone

Back on July 19, I tore my achilles tendon while in Orlando, FL competing in the Extremity Games. That put me in a wheel chair for @3 months. Well, yesterday I got back on the bike and raced in Thayer, MO. Very tough race and a very technical course. But, at the end of the 2+ hour race, I saw the checker flag. Something several folks didn't. Only 62 racers showed up with 12 in my class and 2 of those had a worse day than I. The course was 6.5 treacherous miles per lap, which is a big reason the turn out was literally half of the norm. I quit counting crashes after the first lap, but gravity got the better of me 8 times on that lap alone. The rest of the laps were similar. I am sore literally from head to toe. A little banged and bruised, but not broken. A photographer was on hand and I expect a disc of pics from him in the next week. Hopefully, there will be some good shots of me that I can post here later.

You never quit, do you? The Energizer Bunny :P

Your description made me jittery just reading it, Shane... however, I know how much it must have meant to you to race again, so CONGRATULATIONS on making it back!

Thanks! :D :D :D

I may really back off in frequency of races. Races now are nothing short of epic for me. Kind of like me against the mountain, so to speak. Well, I made sure the mountain didn't win yesterday. Now I think I'll spend more time doing camping/riding trips (including Reagen, my son). Alot more fun at this point, and I don't crash near as much when I'm not pushing so hard.

My head's gonna get too big in a moment, but here's the coolest part of the whole race and made it worth every minute:

The racing I do is mostly through the woods and sometimes with a few jumps thrown in. 2+ hours as fast as you can go. You don't ever see the checker flag and think "I wish the race wasn't over yet." This race was 6.5 miles per lap and had a 1 mile MX track included in the lap. So next to last lap I was chasing a guy down and I catch a glimpse of Reagen just off the side of a jump. I hit the jump harder than the guy I was chasing and passed him in the air whithin 8 feet of my son. Anytime you can make a kid jump up and down and yell like that, well, it's just the best feeling in the world. That moment alone made it worth every minute.

Now, where's that Ibuprophen and muscle relaxer? ;)

Now, where's and muscle relaxer? ;)

Right here :lol:

Sort of makes all those aches and pains worth it doesn't it Shane.... To see so much pride in a little boy's eyes.

Glad to hear that your first one back after being in your chair again for three months was a good one.. I still remember my first ride after everything...

Take care and ride easy.....

I quit counting crashes after the first lap, but gravity got the better of me 8 times on that lap alone.

Great news. Shane. The above about sums you up, you get back in the saddle one more time than you came out of it. Proud of you mate.

Thanks, Higgy and Sparky. Your comments mean alot to me.

Cat, if I could , I'd ride down and take you up on the the offer! Experience tells me that the third day is usually the worst. :blink: So I may spend tomorrow...err..."medicated." :wacko:

BTW, Sparky, my riding buddy, Mark Sparks(remember?), took some helmet cam footage during the race. Says he thinks he got some crash footage of me. It may be a while, but I'll see if can get my hands on it and maybe post some of the footage.

I just realized, today is the seventh. That's the day the doc said I could start walking without using a walker.

I did use a walker- one day (that's kinda close to 6 weeks, isn't it?). If he knew the details, my doc would probably have a stroke! :lol: :lol:

This is a pic a friend took last weekend...

post-1563-1194614268_thumb.jpg

Good on you!

looking forward to my return to two wheels (no engines anymore). planning on a trip with old freinds round Northern Holland in the spring.

Had the anniversary of my lorry motorbike crunch last saturday. visited the people that kept me going in intensive care. meant a lot.

The following day had my first students for flying lessons, good result for the 1st year.

best to all

...good result for the 1st year.

Yes, definitely!!!

Thanks! :D :D :D

I may really back off in frequency of races. Races now are nothing short of epic for me. Kind of like me against the mountain, so to speak. Well, I made sure the mountain didn't win yesterday. Now I think I'll spend more time doing camping/riding trips (including Reagen, my son). Alot more fun at this point, and I don't crash near as much when I'm not pushing so hard.

My head's gonna get too big in a moment, but here's the coolest part of the whole race and made it worth every minute:

The racing I do is mostly through the woods and sometimes with a few jumps thrown in. 2+ hours as fast as you can go. You don't ever see the checker flag and think "I wish the race wasn't over yet." This race was 6.5 miles per lap and had a 1 mile MX track included in the lap. So next to last lap I was chasing a guy down and I catch a glimpse of Reagen just off the side of a jump. I hit the jump harder than the guy I was chasing and passed him in the air whithin 8 feet of my son. Anytime you can make a kid jump up and down and yell like that, well, it's just the best feeling in the world. That moment alone made it worth every minute.

Now, where's that Ibuprophen and muscle relaxer? ;)

So, lot's of things going on the past few months. With the above post in mind, here's an update:

At the end of November, I was elected president of the Arkansas Hare Scramble Championship Series, the series in which I do the largest part of my racing. Reagen and I are now looking forward to running a full season this year. So much for "taking it easy." :P If anyone finds themselves close and would like to come watch a race, we'd love to have you. You can find this years schedule at:

http://www.ahscs.com/schedule.asp