Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Caveman

left foot pedal Car adaption photos

For those that wanted a look, I attach photos of my car (its a 5 series BMW - quite a lot of room in the footwell). Also have a Smart but there wasnt enough room for the blnk plate - so just keep peg leg out of the way.

Changing car tomorrow, will be taking the plate with!

post-2200-1196102097_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1196102161_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1196102237_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1196102276_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty much like my set up. I LOVE my left foot accelerator! I never thought that we'd become friends, I was sure we'd get killed due to my confusion (at first) of which pedal is what... but now it totally means freedom to me.

Pray tell, how did ya get your floor mat under all that? My husband cut mine in half, which I think lends itself (the floor mat, I mean) to getting dangerously in the way...

Now......to get the steering wheel BACK to the left side of the car refer to page 10 of the instruction manual.

Now......to get the steering wheel BACK to the left side of the car refer to page 10 of the instruction manual.

Why would anyone put the wheel on the wrong side?

mirrors and smoke

Looks pretty much like my set up. I LOVE my left foot accelerator! I never thought that we'd become friends, I was sure we'd get killed due to my confusion (at first) of which pedal is what... but now it totally means freedom to me.

Pray tell, how did ya get your floor mat under all that? My husband cut mine in half, which I think lends itself (the floor mat, I mean) to getting dangerously in the way...

mat goes over the top of the base plate - will post more pics of the new car installation shortly

For those that wanted a look, I attach photos of my car (its a 5 series BMW - quite a lot of room in the footwell). Also have a Smart but there wasnt enough room for the blnk plate - so just keep peg leg out of the way.

Changing car tomorrow, will be taking the plate with!

Had the kit put on my new car and add some photos that hopefully add to the previous batch. For Marilyn, note the securing plate lies flush below the mat. Only a 2" square of mat was removed by the original accelerator

post-2200-1196240272_thumb.jpg

post-2200-1196240445_thumb.jpg

make sure to keep it well oiled. Mine last winter with all the salt and grime started to stick causing the gass to be jammed down. And naturally my friends in their wisdom say " well why didn't you just unstick it with you foot." I only have one foot sillies.

Other then that I love it.

make sure to keep it well oiled. Mine last winter with all the salt and grime started to stick causing the gass to be jammed down. And naturally my friends in their wisdom say " well why didn't you just unstick it with you foot." I only have one foot sillies.

That's a fantastically good reason not to use one... I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole... I'm a right AK, have been driving for well over twenty years in loads of different cars, no mods, no problems. This device costs money, damages the car you fit it to and now it transpires your accelerator pedal can get stuck!

Good luck :o

That's a fantastically good reason not to use one... I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole... I'm a right AK, have been driving for well over twenty years in loads of different cars, no mods, no problems. This device costs money, damages the car you fit it to and now it transpires your accelerator pedal can get stuck!

being new to all this - I understood it was a legal requirement in the UK to have a left foot pedal; after the accident I informed DVLA and have a new licence. For me it is a pain 'coz I have assumed I cant rent a car on overseas trips. I assume what you have been doing for 20 years has been legal!

As you know from other postings I fly too and the aircraft are not modified; I restrict myself to types that are not problematic

being new to all this - I understood it was a legal requirement in the UK to have a left foot pedal; after the accident I informed DVLA and have a new licence. For me it is a pain 'coz I have assumed I cant rent a car on overseas trips. I assume what you have been doing for 20 years has been legal!

As you know from other postings I fly too and the aircraft are not modified; I restrict myself to types that are not problematic

Hey even though left foot accelerators require a little maintenance ( Honestly what part of a car doesn’t) I think the benefit outweighs the problems. And really how much damage does two small screws do to the car? Although granted when I look at a car I look for something practical rather then something pretty. I’m also an AKA and even though I can handle my prosthetic rather well I wouldn’t trust it to properly operate a car. I’ve tried the whole “ cross legged” driving but found it cumbersome and awkward. The left foot pedal is as safe as anything else in a car. As long as you take care of it, it will perform up to standard. I much rather drive left foot pedal then risk getting blamed for any accidents or loosing insurance for non-adaptive driving.

Although if you haven’t already please make sure garages and repair shops know before hand that you have a left pedal. One guy fixing the tires on my car almost had to give me a complimentary paint job when he accidentally thought the left pedal was the break. He thankfully stopped before hitting anything.

I passed my test using my left foot on an unadapted auto... it is not illegal. As I say, I have lost count of the different types of cars I have driven over the years and I have never had even the slightest problem driving any of them, or the slightest doubt about my ability to control any of them.

I can see that it might suit some people, I'd just rather not have the hassle, each to his own.