Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
EllenVB

What Type of Foot Changes Heel Heights?

Hi Everybody,

I am going to my prosthetist this Thursday to tell him that I need him to make my new gel liner / locking pin prosthesis more cosmetically acceptable to me. Before I do so, I have a question about feet for women:

I have heard about feet that can be adjusted for different heel heights, but don't know what type this is or what it involves. How do you change the heel height on a foot? If anybody can advise me, I would really appreciate it.

I asked my prosthetist about it, but he just brushed me off and gave me a whole bunch of rapid-fire reasons (which I didn't understand) why he felt it wouldn't work for me. I do think this guy is a good prosthetist, the socket and liner he made me fit great. Maybe it's that insurance won't pay for it? I just don't understand how a foot can change heel heights, and would like to know if that is an option for me.

Thanks a lot, Ellen.

Ellen,

The Elation foot by OSSUR changes heal height with a push of a button. Will adjust to a heal height up to 2 inches. I don't have personal experience with it so can not make any comments but I do wear a foot by OSSUR which I love.

http://www.ossur.com

Brenda

HI ELLEN VB,

I HAVE THE GEL LINER PIN SYSTEM AND ITS GREAT FOR ME. I'M HAVING THE ELATION FOOT TOMMOROW (TUESDAY) AND CAN'T WAIT. MY PROSTHETIST IS V GOOD AND RECOMMENDED THIS FOOT. IT WILL TAKE MEDIUM IMPACT SO A BIT OF WALKING / STAIRS / SLOPES ETC SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM. IT MEANS I CAN CHANGE MY SHOES / BOOTS / TRAINERS AS I WANT - UP TO 2 INCHES IN HEIGHT. THE FOOT IS ALSO SANDAL TOE, SO I CAN WEAR STRAPPY SHOES OR FLIP FLOPS - IF I WANT TO. THEY FOOT IS COSMETICALLY MORE APPEALING ALSO - SO I'M TOLD.

I FOUND THE INFO MYSELF AND TOOK THE PRINT OUT WITH ME TO THE PROSTHETIST.

WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE AFTER TOMMORROW. YOU SHOULD CHECK THE INFO OUT ON THE OSSUR WEB SITE - ITS THE ELATION MODEL.

GOOD LUCK

SUE

Thanks Brenda,

WOW! The Ossur Web site actually has a video showing how easy it is to adjust the heel height, by the push of a button (another button--hah hah--which I TRUST is cosmetically hidden!). I bet it's more expensive and insurance won't pay for it. Why would my prosthetist brush me off on that question? I have the right to know!

Which foot do you wear? It's not like I run marathons like you, but am walking a mile every day, and trying slowly to increase that. One of my big cosmetic problems with the new leg is the bulky heel / awkward ankle join. They told me there are only two footshells that fit the foot they gave me, implying this was the best they could do. I feel I should have a choice of components, a choice of foot and footshell.

As always, Brenda, thanks so much for your great advice! I'll post how this turns out....

Best wishes, Ellen.

Thanks Sue,

I am thrilled for you that you are getting your cosmetic cover with an Elation foot! I did go into the Ossur Web site and printed out the info on the foot and will take it with me on Thursday. I am DYING to know if when you get your finished leg they have been able to hide the release button by trimming it flush to the inside of the calf. Boy will THAT give me ammunition with my prosthetist! Especially as you said you're only 5 ft. tall, if they can do it for you, they can do it for me. I'm 5 ft. 7 in. tall, and they told me they couldn't hide the button because my "leg is too skinny, if you had a big bulky man's calf we could hide it easily." I just don't believe that. At age 52 after two babies in my 40s I am not exactly Slenderella any more but not real heavy either. After all the difficulty finding shoes I can wear for the past 32 years.... AAGH!

Please let me know how your leg turns out, I am hoping so much you will love it. I'm going to write to the experts at Ossur and ask them about the release button and the Elation foot.

Thanks again, Ellen.

EllenVB

Just come back from my Prosthetist - my foot is fantastic. The leg is not fully made up yet - about another week.

I asked about the release pin being hidden and YES it can be. I saw some of the finished models and some were for women over 5.5 in height! They looked great and the pin was hidden inside the cover of the leg.

The Elation foot costs about £800.00 for the foot alone, and I'm told that even NHS patients can have 2 legs made for them - the foot can depend upon the centres budget - but there should be no reason for you not to have one. Print off the information and take it with you to show the Prosthetist, ask him for a written copy of the reasons why you cant have the foot.

I'm from Cardiff and travel to Morriston near Swansea - see if there are any other centres near you also.

My Foot is the smallest size that they can make for adults (size 4) and they also make childrens sizes - but then that has an impact on the amount of weight it can bear.

The foot is lovely to look at - it looks appealing and the toes are fab!

Go armed with your information and ask why you cant have one.

Good luck

SUE

THANKS SUE!

As we say in the States, YOU GO GIRL!! Sounds like your foot is fantastic and the leg will be, too.

I'm seeing my prosthetist Thursday armed with all info. If my insurance will not pay for the foot I may have to pay for it myself, so just tell me if you think it's worth the money! It sounds like it is very easy to adjust the heel height--AND those buttons are hidden, right?

Good luck and let's keep each other posted.

Best wishes, Ellen.

ELLEN,

First impressions - I think the foot is worth it....but will let you know when I'm up and walking on it. Don't expect to have any problems. The prosthetist is great and gives me loads of information..he recommended this foot to me. The buttons in the ankles are hidden and although stiff to adjust at first, I'm told that these loosen up a bit when used regularly - and this foot was brand new - soon will loosen up with me changing shoes regularly!!

I will let you know how I get on ....watch this space. I'm all in favour of positive attitude and if you dont ask...you dont get. Forgot to ask him whether I can paint the toe nails. Also asked him for a more life like cover and he will match my skin tone and make me a pvc one - he reckons they are more durable in the long run. I asked him about the Heather Mills-McCarney cosmesis - which looks fab but costs about £5,000 for the cover - he says that they can wear within a year and are not that durable - but they do look great, dont they.

Will keep you posted on the foot etc.

Take care.

SUE :unsure:

Ellen,

You're welcome. I am just glad that I could help you. The foot that I have is the Flex VSP it is not a foot that you can have a cosmetically looking leg but when I was picking out my components cosmetics wasn't an issue for me. I have been an amputee for so long that the stares don't bother me like they did when I was 13 to 18 but I think a lot of that was me going through teenage years and as I'm finding out having a teen daughter that we all go through those bad years. LOL

So I said forget the cover and give me something that I will be happy with and I'm very happy with this foot. My running leg foot is a c-sprint also by the same company nothing like keeping it in the family (well foot family) hehe

As for painting toe nails sure you can and when you change colors use nail polish remover. I don't paint my toenails now but have painted them in the past. I don't like my left foot so what's the point in painting.

Flip flops have done that too. I find that they don't stay on very well so I don't wear them anymore as I have almost fell and busted my butt. I pretty much stick to my tennis shoes as they provide me with good support and that's what I need. I do have one pair of Harley Boots for when I'm riding on the Harley....... B)

Brenda

Hi Everybody,

Here is my update on the continuing saga of my new leg / foot. I am getting really frustrated with my prosthetist. Saw him on Thursday and felt angry and resentful when I left. Told him flat out the leg was ugly and they needed to fix it. He actually said to my face that I cared more about form than function! I said "NO I DON'T, I've been dealing with this for over thirty years, I have a right to BOTH walk well AND look good." He then said, "You're more concerned with cosmetics than any person I have ever met." I feel very demeaned by this and am very angry with him. Unfortunately, I HAVE to work with him, as unlike with NHS I do not have much choice, must go to this particular company because they are "in network" (that's the phrase in the States) with my insurance. They have other offices, but I am on the west central coast of Florida and I just can't drive all over the state for my fittings; especially with my kids in school, I can't be hours away. So I have to work this out. Right now my insurance is still REFUSING to pay for the new leg! Prosthetist said he would order a new foot which would be different design, so allow for smaller footshell and get rid of visible join at ankle. That would solve that problem. Plus he said they could grind down the release button to make it flush with the inside of the calf (I'm thinking, "Why didn't you do this before you put the Skinergy on?"). But he said he WILL NOT ORDER a new foot until the insurance company pays for the one I don't like! That could be months! Meanwhile, I'm wondering, why bother to get used to a new prosthesis I don't even like when my old one still works so well? Why not just wait till they get the new foot, and THEN go full steam ahead? I can't just deal with prosthetics all the time--I have a life to live!!

My prosthetist completely dismissed my getting the Elation foot by Ossur that I came in so excited about, armed with printouts. So I stormed home and fired off an e-mail to Ask the Expert, and got an immediate reply. Here's the story on that! I don't know why my prosthetist is so against this foot.

To: "Gil Gilbert"

Subject: Elation Foot

Hi Gil: I am writing back to you much sooner than I expected. Just got back from my prosthetist and am feeling very frustrated and angry. I showed him the info on the Elation foot and told him it would solve one of my biggest problems for 30+ years--heel heights of women's shoes. My prosthetist was adamant that the foot would not suit me, for these reasons:

1. He said the foot is "very heavy" and would therefore "make walking more difficult." What does the Elation foot weigh? Do you know how this weight compares to the Freedom foot, which he chose for me and I don't like?

2. He said it costs $5,000 and insurance will not pay for it. How much does the Elation foot cost?

3. He said it squeaks, or will within a short time. He said "If you want to make noise when you walk, then go ahead, get one." Does the Elation foot make noise? How long has the foot been on the market?

I realize these questions are burdensome, but feel that my prosthetist is being dismissive of a product in which I am very interested. Any help you can give me will be immensely appreciated. Thank you so much.

Sincerely yours,

Ellen V. Bedell

READ HIS ANSWER!!

Hi Ellen,

The Elation foot (foot, footshell and male pyramid) weighs a total of 590 grams. We sell directly to the prosthetist so I apologize that I cannot divulge the cost to you. The Freedom foot that you have should be about similar cost. The foot should not make any noises. If it did, we would quickly replace it under warranty. All of our feet have a 60 day trial period.

Gil

Ellen,

I am so angry I could just scream. That's Hanger for you!!! If I were you I would be on the phone to your insurance company telling them what kind of service you are receiving and demand that they allow you to go out of Network. The other thing find Hangers CEO's phone Number and call them or write to them.... Tell them what kind of service you are getting and that you're not happy. Also Gil is right most if not all foot manufactures give a 30 to 60 day trial period if you don't like the foot they will take it back as long as it's not torn up or any thing. Tell your prosthetist this information and tell him you will be notifing your insurance company of how he is treating you.

I'm sorry you're dealing with such b... s...

Brenda

Thanks, Brenda, I'll keep fighting!! Ellen.

Ellen,

I was thinking along the same as Brenda.

Hangers corporate headquarters needs to get involved here because it effects the over all image of Hanger Prosthetics nationally. Hanger has a very big presence in the US, one that they would prefer not to be negative. You should be having a good experience but instead you are having a personality conflict with your prosthetist. This is not uncommon, but you do not have to accept it. Return what ever your prosthetist has delivered that you do not want. Do not keep it, and use your other leg while you are waiting. This prosthetist can not be trusted until he earns your trust. He can only do that by being honest with you, and I don't believe that he is telling you everything. That is the reason why he is discounting what you have to bring to the table. If he can't provide you with the services that you require, than contact your insurance company and explain the problem so that they can find you someone who is a contracted provider in network.

This prosthetist and the hanger facility that he works for, has more to lose from this than you could imagine. The cost for my last OSSUR flex foot BK leg that the insurance paid for was over $26,000. :huh: I'm not sure what Hanger was trying to bill for you, and they are limited by what the contract allows them. I think that you are having enough of a problem with your insurance company already, so only notify them as a last resort. Make sure that you get what you want. You need to have a good relationship with your prosthetist, and it sounds like it may not be the one that you are currently using.

I'm confident that you will get satisfaction. I just wish that you could get it without the grief.

We are here for you. Keep us posted.

Regards,

Hello Ellen,

I have to tell you that I'm new to this whole thing, I just lost my leg 7 months ago in a motorcyle accident, however, my prostetes gave me an adjustable heel to accomadate my addition to shoes!!!

I have know idea of any other type of leg or foot this is my first. I find this adjustable heel easy enough to get used to, having no other experiance, with fake legs :huh: There is a button on the inside of my ankle that i push in and adjust as need, than lock in place. I can walk bare foot and even wear sandle, thanks to the split toe.

I was interested in your Question on what other types of legs are available, since as i said I'm "all new to this",I would appericate any input on what is out there :unsure:

please feel free to contact me and i will give you as much info as i know about my adjustable heel.

Good Luck

Cathie

Hi Everybody,

I have been doing my own research, and so far found TWO types of feel with adjustable heel height. Here are their names and manufacturers, with the links to the sites for information:

1. The RUNWAY foot by Freedom innovations:

http://www.freedom-innovations.com/product...sid=2&prodid=11

This foot is available to the public as of Jan. 2004. Company based in California, founded in 2002.

2. The ELATION foot by Ossur:

http://www.ossur.com/template1.asp?PageID=263

I eagerly await feedback from members who have feet with adjustable heel heights. Find out exactly the make and model of what you have, so we can compare!

If you guys find any more, post the info! IN UNITY IS STRENGTH; or, the more you know, the more you can demand what you need from your prosthetist!

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

Ellen.

Hi Ellen

I didn't really get on with the Elation foot, although a lot of the problems could have been the actual limb as it wasn't right, and later scrapped. I found the button very hard to operate,also had hard foam down to just above the ankle and then soft foam to enable button operation and then the foot. There were quite obvious ridges in the cosmetics of both legs (am a bilateral), on one of the legs I had to wear a tightish elastic stocking for suspension, which compressed the foam and the foot looked hideous. I also had an horrendous turn in (inwards) on the feet, which they said they couldn't correct, despite changes in heal rubbers.

These problems may not effect you, as suspension, etc. will prob. be different.

Hubby seemed to be able to change the heel heights with the button but I found it very difficult to know when it was actually locked.

Let us know how you get on, it would be lovely to be able to change heel heights!!

THANK YOU ANN!! This is EXACTLY the type of stuff I need to know. The Ossur Elation foot is integrated, foot, so-called "male pyramid" and foot shell, so there is no choice of foot shell, what you get is all of a piece. Very interesting about the different foams and the visible join lines. That's just what I'm trying to get rid of.... Also that it's hard to adjust the button. That just turns it into another stress, which we are all trying to avoid. If it's that difficult, no thank you, I'll just get another 3/4 inch heel and stick in a wedge to wear a flatter shoe.... ALSO that you had a hard time knowing when it was locked! That would be intolerable to me; I have to know that what I'm walking on is really sound.

I wonder if the new RUNWAY foot by Freedom Innovations in California is better? I am waiting for an answer from the people at Freedom about the weight and specs on the RUNWAY foot. Watch this site!

I am really sorry you have had such a tough time with your fit, and hope things are better now. What suspension system do you use? Post here or e-mail me if you want.

Thanks again, Ellen.

Hi there

I've finally tracked down my invoice for my leg as I couldn't remember what the foot was. Its by a company called Century XXII Innovations and its called the Total Concept Foot. A few searches came up with some links but the best is probably here and here.

The company is obviously not as big as Ossur or Otto Bock but I am very happy with the foot and have had no problems with it. It allows for heel heights up to 2 inches and is available in narrow foot and unisex foot models. The only disadvantage I can see is that it is a closed toe foot so you can't wear sandals or have a silicone foot cover over it. Apparently some patients have cut the foot to allow for this so it is possible, but you would invalidate your warranty if you did this.

Mandy

Hi Ellen,

I'm having the Elation foot / leg on 23rd February. I have handled it and played with the buttons - and they were ok. Found them easy to pop in and out and they were in the 'ankle' bit so were not sticking out. The cosmetic make up of the foot is great - looks very good. I was telling my prosthetist about your story (hope you dont mind) and he was appalled. He's very good and understands what it means to artificial limb wearers as he's one himself - so I feel that he goes the extra bit to make sure that I'm comfortable. I ask lots of questions and take him information that I have found also - and he never complains!! He also justified ordering a Swim Leg for me to the Dr who runs the clinic - as he knew how important it is to me. NHS allows 2 legs per client. He has told me that the Elation foot costs £800.00 for the foot alone, from Ossur. I will have the Elation, the Swim leg and the one that I currently wear (and is too big, so have to pack it with extra socks!!) he will alter for me - so I'll have 3 legs - Lucky me.

I've taken my 2 children to the clinic with me also (aged 7 and 9) and the Prosthetist showed them my foot and let them have a good look around - it was good for them to see and understand.

Your guy sounds awful, and he's in the wrong job!! He should be supporting you and it doesn't sound as though he is. You should be able to say that you want performance AND Cosmetic finish also and not feel put down in any way - he has no right to treat you this way - and should be told so!! Be assertive and let him know that you've lost a limb AND NOT YOUR BRAIN. I would ask him why he feels that you are not entitled to both - even if you say it in light hearted way at first.

Good Luck.

SUE :rolleyes:

I just got a new leg last week with the Elation foot. It works miracles. I'm still in the adjustment stages but I completely love the foot. I have had some shoes for over a year that I was never able to wear, but know I can!!! :)

I agree with Sue. It sounds to me as though this guy is in the wrong career field. I lost my leg when I was eight, so I know what I want and what I like. My prosthetist seems to understand when I say a millimeter makes a world of difference. And it really does!

I am trying the Otto Bock 3R60 knee and haven't been able to get it adjusted right yet. One millimeter is too loose, and the other is tight! Quite comical when you think about it.

Good Luck, I love the Elation foot!!!

Nicole

Hi Ellen,

Let me give some feedback on the various heel height adjustable feet that are out there.

1. Total Concept by Century XII is now Elation by Ossur (bought up). I started with the Total Concept and loved it but it broke at the toes just one month before the 1 year warranty so Ossur replaced it with the new & improved Elation. The Elation is okay but not as nice to walk with as the Total concept I find it stiff and it has very little ankle motion. As far as the button/adjustments go...once you get used to it (after a couple tries) it is very easy to use and I have never had an issue with it unlocking or not being locked.

2. The Runway is still in the Beta phase even though it is available for sale. It is much nicer to walk with, even has nice 'simulated' ankle motion but.....the button is very hard to find and difficult to adjust. Most importantly for cosmetics is that the mechanism slides from the back of the foot toward the front leaving a huge gap which makes it look like your heel sticks way out.

I hope that helps. As I said, I have worn all three and if you have any other specific questions, I will be happy to answer them as best I can.

Tracy

THANKS SO MUCH, TRACY!! This advice is VERY helpful. So there are really just two types of adjustable heel-height feet: the Elation by Ossur, which has a good cosmesis and is easily adjustable, but not the best for walking; and the Runway by Freedom, which walks better but makes your heel look bizarre....

Gil Gilbert from "Ask the Expert" at Ossur wrote me that if I try the Elation and don't like it, there's a 60-day trial period; when I asked him to compare the Elation with the Runway, here's what he said:

Hi Ellen,

There are some key disadvantages to the runway foot that we have noticed.

The first is that when wearing high heel shoes the actual length of the

prosthesis (build height) becomes a 1/4 inch too tall or too short which

can affect gait and also makes it possible to stub your toe. The second

thing is the actual toe lever gets longer when the heel height is raised.

This will make the user feel like they are climbing up a hill when wearing

high heel shoes.The last difference is the runway foot does not match

normal biomechanics of the ankle. In the human foot and the Elation foot

the forefoot shortens when the heel height is raised. In the runway foot

the forefoot lengthens when the heel height is raised. I hope this

information help you out.

Keep me posted,

Gil

Of course he works for Ossur but his comments are worth noting, especially in light of your observation about the bizarre heel sticking out on the Runway. This, to me, would negate the cosmetic advantage of the adjustable heel-height. Sounds like I may wind up with another 3/4 " foot and just stick in a wedge for my flatter shoes.... (My swim leg is 3/8" heel). Don't know what to do....

Just as well I'm using my time to gather info. My Cigna insurance, which is refusing to pay a dime, says my claim is "in review and will take about 40 days." What utter nonsense.... Meanwhile, I'm walking a mile a day in "Ol' Reliable," and doing fine. Have basically decided to make prosthetist EAT ENTIRE NEW PROSTHESIS--don't like the cosmesis, and even if they fix that up, my residual limb is so stable with my PTB system, also compatible with my swim leg, there are just too many negatives building against the gel liner / locking pin system--I'm in agony by about tea time in gel liner, no relief even if I sit down, feel like my residual limb is in a vise and somebody is sticking 1,000 pins in the distal end.... Versus (almost) total comfort in my old-style, this is turning into a no-brainer. So the only question if I get an updated PTB limb is the choice of foot.... Oh yeah, the "skin" too.... I'll put up a separate post about that.

So THANKS for all this info. Sounds like the adjustable heel-height feet have a way to go yet technically, and if I want a real workhorse I can depend on, I'd better stick with a fixed heel-height foot and use wedges.... Hasn't killed me yet, and I walk well !! (Walked my mile for exercise today.)

Keep those comments coming, folks! ONE OF THESE DAYS WE'LL GET A FEMININE ADJUSTABLE FOOT WE CAN DEPEND ON!! Sounds like the Elation is better than the Runway, though....

Let's stay posted, Ellen.

Ellen,

I don't think you could go wrong getting the elation even if you only have it for the trial period. I have worn many feet in 36 years and I have to tell you the Ossur feet that I use are the best and I'm extreemly happy with them.

Brenda

Hello Ellen:

I haven't been on this site in a while (been busy :rolleyes: I've been so ignorant when I have gone in for prosthetics that I just say to make me something I'll like and then gripe about whatever I don't like about it when I get it, and they fix it.

Three prostheses ago (back in my poverty days), I had two small children and NO health insurance and my prosthesis was breaking/bending with each step. My prosthetist offered to make me one "under the table" for $600 cash before the thing snapped on me and injured my leg. So it was as basic and cheap as they come. That was in 1988. Then in 1996, after I got myself through college and actually had insurance, I asked for a new/nicer prosthesis that I could wear shorts/skirts/dresses with (from '78 until '96 I went out of my way to hide my leg).

I do not know the terms of the "equipment" I now wear but I've been in the same prosthesis since'96. It is so lightweight and the skin looks so real (I just need to have the skin re-sprayed each year @ $430) and I fake everyone out. I wear a knee brace (when in shorts/skirts/dresses) so that you can't see where the skin ends and the prosthesis begins. I've had a number of men tell me what sexy legs I have and then do double-takes when I point out that I am an amputee. One man even went on to say that I still had sexy legs. HOW SWEET! I do not wear prosthetic socks with it; (now remember, I flew solo for so many years that this is just how I evolved trying to survive by myself with no help or support) I wear three men’s tube socks and one thin nylon sock (for slippage, so I can slide in and out of the darn thing). I can not bear weight on the very end of my leg (and I DO cringe when people say "stump") and so I take each tube sock and fold it down twice just under the knee. This is hard to explain, but I have about 3 - 4 inches of sock just below my knee (near the top of my prosthesis) that is especially thick. It produces a type of donut around the top part of my leg that goes into the prosthesis. This enables me to slide into the prosthesis but the thicker rim of socks prevents me from sinking so deep that the end of my leg pushes on the bottom. I mean I am touching the bottom but my entire weight does not push on the end. So this allows me to walk around all day long without any issues with soreness. The only time I may have a problem is if one of the folds in the sock is weird and it causes a blister. Sooooooo, the idea of a gel liner has never appealed to me because I'd be afraid the size of my total leg would be too big (because I still have the leg part with an atrophied calf) and that I'd sweat too much and put too much pressure on the end.

Anyway, your prosthetist is a jerk and had he looked me in the face and made that comment to me, I very well may have popped him one. That was inexcusable of him!!!

It was only within the past few years that I'd met any other amputees so I've been flying solo too. The people I have met are older men who I skydive with (I'm part of an all amputee skydiving team) and so I cannot ask them about the issues you and I have regarding the desire to still look sexy!! There is nothing wrong with that if that is exactly what “whole” bodied people desire! Why on earth should we settle for less?! Are we any less a woman just because we're missing a limb?

The concerns you've been voicing in this forum are EXACTLY what I've been dealing with. And I AM going to look for those shoes you mentioned!! I have a terrible time finding shoes that will "work" for me. I work with a woman whose daughter is a designer of shoes. I told her that we need serious help in sexy shoes for amputee women. There would DEFINATELY be a market for it.

I am a bit envious however; I am a left symes amputee and so am amputated THROUGH the ankle. This means I can NOT use that awesome foot you're all chatting about. My prosthesis literally sits IN to the foot. If I ever want to get a flex foot, it has to be attached up the back of the prosthesis making the prosthesis huge in circumference. I skydive, scuba dive, bicycle, and weight lift so running has never been an issue so I haven't pushed for the flex foot. However, I would LOVE to be able to wear a party dress with HEALS!! (I will with flats but it just doesn't look right, ya know what I mean?) So if any of you ever see someone who can make a symes foot that changes height, I'M IN!!! LOL!!

Anyway Ellen, I just HAD to write because your words rang home with such force I had to let you know I am the same way!!! I do understand the frustration because I've severely edited my above tale for the sake of time and space, but I too have shed tears in frustration over the past 25 years as an amputee. Thankfully, I've been blessed with a "glass half-full" mindset and so can bounce back (most of the time) pretty quickly.

OK, now that I've so clearly demonstrated how easily I can babble, I shall end this now before we all get tired of hearing from me!! :D I just don't have anyone here to talk to so when I let loose here, I really go for it! LOL!! Sorry about that!! Just please know, you are not the only woman who feels as you do!!

*I found this while following some links from the Ossur site. This is actually from a site called Ladyamps. Hope you find it empowering for your next visit to your prosthetist :)

Your Rights as an Amputee

You have the right to be treated with respect and dignity at all times.

You have the right to fire your prosthetic provider at any time.

You have the right to choose who your provider will be.

You have the right to challenge any decisions made regarding your prosthesis and its components.

You have the right to a properly fitted, comfortable prosthesis.

You have the right to voice your opinion and ask questions regarding your amputation, your prosthetist and your prosthesis.

You have the right to challenge the payment of your prostheses if it is incomplete, does not fit or is unsuitable.

Know Your Rights.....Under the Americans with Disability Act

For answers to any disability questions contact:

Department of Justice-Americans with Disability Act

Ladyamps