Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JudyH

powder

Help - my prosthetist suggested that I try putting some powder (or cornstarch)under my underliner - all of a sudden ,with my leg up, it feels like my liner is pulling and I have just discovered a small blister.

JudyH

Judy, are you able to tell whether the liner was actually sticking to the skin at the point of the blister, or if it was sliding over that area and causing friction?

You can always put a blister bandage over the "spot" to protect your skin... but I'd let you prosthetist and your doctor know asap, considering your history!

Take good care of yourself......!

Talc is in fact an abrasive, I wouldn't use that for anything... I use a silicone lotion, though I'm an AK using a Northvane suction socket

Help - my prosthetist suggested that I try putting some powder (or cornstarch)under my underliner - all of a sudden ,with my leg up, it feels like my liner is pulling and I have just discovered a small blister.

Is he daft? :blink:

I agree with OBL. Powder is one of the last things you should put on your leg if you have a tight fitting socket, as it combines with your sweat to form hard little lumps that scratch your skin. Some people can develop allergies to it too.

My sockets are too snug for me to use any type of plasters. To tell you the truth, I avoid plasters for the same sort of reasons that I avoid using powder.

Another silicone product you can try is ALPS Prosthetic Skin Lotion

Lizzie :)

Judy,

The Alps Skin lotion is what I use also.. If you don't want to make a drive to the CP's office, or he doesn't have it, you can also use good old fashion aloe.. It will give you slip inside your liner.. I have also used a good hand lotion that I use around the house in that area where I notice the "pull". Mine will usually be right above the knee joint. Powder for me, got abrasive as well.. Cornstarch might work, if it is going under the Comfort Ag sock that you were wearing?

Your still wearing the Comfort Ag sock underneath your liner right? Is it possible that maybe you might not of gotten all of the soap out at the last laundering? Could you of possibly had a wrinkle that day?

Sometimes, diet can change the fit of your liner and socket too. Something full of salt that maybe wasn't realized. That happened to me a couple of times.. But then again, if I know that I'm going to be somewhere that I don't want my leg being loose, I can sort of adjust with a handful of chips, or even a ham sandwich at a meal. Guaranteed the next morning, my socket is going to fit just a bit tighter..

I hope things heal fast for you.....

Higgy

Hi Judy

I find I can get away with Johnsons baby talc, however, I recently tried some natural powder, which was I think cornstarch and found it went quite clumpy and wasn't so good. However, I do wear socks so imagine it wouldn't be so good under an actual liner.

I thought you weren't supposed to use powder??

I thought you weren't supposed to use powder??

You're right, Marcia - you aren't supposed to use powder.

Ann - imagine using powder underneath a very tight swimming costume (or a wet suit) & then put your normal everyday clothes on top...:wacko:...that's a little like how it feels with a liner. :ph34r:

What Judy is explaining as an "underliner",(if it's still the same as it was in Minnesota) is a Comfort Ag sock that is about the thickness of a 2 ply sock.. They are very comfortable, and she was told to wear it between her skin and the silicone liner...That's probably why he had told her to use powder.

At least, I think that is what Judy was trying to explain....(I hope I didn't presume too much)..

I have used powder on the outside of the liner to let my pants slip against it....used it very lightly and it worked quite well...

What Judy is explaining as an "underliner",(if it's still the same as it was in Minnesota) is a Comfort Ag sock that is about the thickness of a 2 ply sock.. They are very comfortable, and she was told to wear it between her skin and the silicone liner...That's probably why he had told her to use powder.

At least, I think that is what Judy was trying to explain....(I hope I didn't presume too much)..

I have used powder on the outside of the liner to let my pants slip against it....used it very lightly and it worked quite well...

Yes, I still wear the Comfort ag ( I couldn't live without it). I have both 2 and 3 ply. It almost feels like the underliner is tight - but it isn't. I am just getting weird sensations. I can't get it to feel "right" no matter what I do. I'll try the lotion - I have a sample. I guess I should try using the Adaptskin all over my leg. It works wonders on a blister. One minute it feels tight the next I am walking out of it - but it isn't swelling.

Any comments are appreciated.

JudyH

Yep I would definitely say try the adaptskin - although I don't know whether you would lose suction if you put it all over your leg. I don't know what I would do without that stuff. It has made such a difference to my leg (and life!)

The Alps silicone lotion mentioned above is exactly what I use, I swear by it. It's liquid when you put it on, but it dries quite quickly afterwards, it doesn't 'hang around' on your hands or anything

Yep I would definitely say try the adaptskin - although I don't know whether you would lose suction if you put it all over your leg. I don't know what I would do without that stuff. It has made such a difference to my leg (and life!)

Apart from seeing that it contains Aloe vera, I can't find any other details about ingredients of Adaptskin, Fi. I'm always a bit suspicious of products that don't tell you what's inside them. Can you shed any more light on its contents?

JudyH - I use the Alps skin lotion as it works very well - too well, if you apply it to large areas! :ph34r: I have very sensitive skin and I haven't reacted to it yet. :)

No idea Lizzie. To be honest I haven't ever looked. All I know is that it works for me. It is a bit like vaseline though with the same consistency etc.

I will have a look at some point in the next few days and let you know.

Am off to Bangkok for the weekend tonight - bring it on. Am very excited.

Lizzie,

Adaptskin was made by an amputee. It has beeswax,coconut oil, lanolin, lemon oil, and cyclomethicone in it and that's all. It works wonders on small wound sites.. What it does is it creates a barrier between small sores and moisture from the liners allowing them to heal. We started running into samples of it at the ACA conference and then, the last couple of years, they have been selling bigger jars and tubes there..

Here's the link for it..

http://adaptlabs.com/adaptskin.htm

It's made in Bainbridge Island, Washington USA.

The trial sizes of it will last forever.. Also, they have 2 different types of it... the 50, which is for everyday use and also 90 which is a little bit heavier viscosity.

Just a touch of the 50 will go a long way.....

There are others here that use it too... some buy the bigger jars of it....I haven't tried the tube of it yet, maybe Neal or someone has......

I use Adaptskin daily. It helps keep my leg from getting friction sores. I forget the ingredients, but it does contain a petroleum based product plus aloe. It's creamier than Vaseline.

I was also told to use non-talc baby powder on my leg when I was sweating so badly. It is essentially cornstarch. It worked very well for that. I only use it now when I have a squeaky foot.

Adaptskin was made by an amputee. It has beeswax,coconut oil, lanolin, lemon oil, and cyclomethicone in it and that's all.

I don't care who it was made by, Higgy. I won't be touching the stuff as it contains lanolin.

The basic Alps silicone stuff is fine for me, when I need it. If my legs develop a sore that needs medication it usually means that my leg should be rested.

And as for powder (talc based or otherwise) - I doubt whether a dermatologist would recommend powder in such a confined sweaty place, as underneath a liner.

Adaptskin was made by an amputee. It has beeswax,coconut oil, lanolin, lemon oil, and cyclomethicone in it and that's all.

I don't care who it was made by, Higgy. I won't be touching the stuff as it contains lanolin.

The basic Alps silicone stuff is fine for me, when I need it. If my legs develop a sore that needs medication it usually means that my leg should be rested.

And as for powder (talc based or otherwise) - I doubt whether a dermatologist would recommend powder in such a confined sweaty place, as underneath a liner.

Yes, can imagine, Lizzy how it feels under a liner, I use mine under a nylon sock and have no problems as long as its baby powder, I know it is not recommended but it actually seems to help the skin graft as any moisture at all causes problems, and on the non skin grafted side also causes no problems. In the evening though I moisturise and this routine works well for me, but my stumps are probably fairly seasoned after all these years. But likewise, I would not be using anything that contains lanolin as that always reacts on the skin graft. At the end of the day its all a bit of trial and error and we have to work out whats best for us as individuals.

I use Adaptskin daily. It helps keep my leg from getting friction sores. I forget the ingredients, but it does contain a petroleum based product plus aloe. It's creamier than Vaseline.

I was also told to use non-talc baby powder on my leg when I was sweating so badly. It is essentially cornstarch. It worked very well for that. I only use it now when I have a squeaky foot.

I have used it on squeaky feet too Neal, but the prosthetists are not that keen on it these days.

Is this also for AKA's? I am not sure if that is mentioned here. :P

having read of the adaptaskin on this site; tried it out and am very pleased with the results

having read of the adaptaskin on this site; tried it out and am very pleased with the results

Do you mind if I ask whereabouts in the UK did you buy this from, if I can get hold of some might give it a try.

Just updating on this - does anyone know where I could buy this in the UK.

I am in the UK too. airmail was not a lot and will be placing order for more