Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ali.hall

Running leg

I have decided I want to try my hand at a bit of running, my goal is to run a marathon within 4 years. To do this I am planning on getting a running leg. The foot I was looking at was the FlexRun from Ossur, it is like the Chettah foot except it is for long distance running. The socket I would like is the TEC liner, with the VASS Harmony unit. Anyone have any experience with any of these things?

My worry is that I sweat quite a lot normally in my silicone liner and, although this claims to reduce sweating, I don't know how far I will be able to run with it if it feels like it is falling off.

Anyway, any help is appreciated :)

Ali

It was recently recommended to me that I use a small make-up pad in the bottom of my liner to absorb sweat. I haven't tried it as it is winter and I don't have much of a problem in the winter. I intend to use it this summer though to see how good it works. It makes sense. They are small yet absorbant.

The Harmony is such a heavy unit. Why would you want to use it for running? The vacuum system I use utilizes a hand pump. It makes the socket quite secure. I love the system.

It was recently recommended to me that I use a small make-up pad in the bottom of my liner to absorb sweat. I haven't tried it as it is winter and I don't have much of a problem in the winter. I intend to use it this summer though to see how good it works. It makes sense. They are small yet absorbant.

The Harmony is such a heavy unit. Why would you want to use it for running? The vacuum system I use utilizes a hand pump. It makes the socket quite secure. I love the system.

For day to day use that may be ok but during the summer out cycling I used to poor sweat out of my liner. Best thing I've found for sweat so far is this :-

X-Static Liner Liner

These are liners that go in between your stump and the normal silicon liner, they soak up sweat and stop rashes/infections/smells due to the sweat.

I used to stop every 30-60 mins depending how hot it was to dry off, now most of the time using these I either don’t stop or at most have one change halfway through. They are so much more comfortable and my stump dosn’t look like you fingers do when they have been in the bath for an hour anymore 

Apart from the Rotor these have made the biggest impact on my cycling since I got them recently.

http://www.kingsleymfg.com/KMFGStore/Catal...mp;advmode=True

UK Supplier.

CHANECO®

Chris Hanley & Partners

4 Kilvey Road

Brackmills

Northampton, NN4 7BQ

United Kingdom

Tel: 01604-709999

Fax: 01604-700057

I use it inside the silicon liner, which effectivly means it dosn't grip anymore so you need a silicon sleeve that rolls up the thigh to hold it on.

Now rather than stopping every few miles to empty my socket, I stop once every 15 miles pop the leg off wipe down, change the liner liner and off I go again.

It's much more comfortable and I no longer get that feeling my leg is going to fall off any minute.

..........Rikk

Hi Ali,

I have a flex run foot which unfortunately I haven't been able to do much running in at all since I got it last May because the socket is so uncomfortable. My prosthetist here in HK is making a new socket for me at the moment though and so I am hoping when that is done to be able to start using it properly again.

The foot is great - really really springey and easy to run in. The only problem is that I am not sure how good the grip would be if you were to use it outside - I have mostly been running on treadmills with it so far but did take it to the park one afternoon. I didn't last long there because i got a bit self conscious and freaked out about trying to run with it and so didn't really give it a good enough test. I do think the grip thing is a bit of an issue though. My prosthetist advised me to cut the sole off an old trainer and stick it on the bottom of the foot so give it better grip so maybe you could try that.

I just have a normal iceross liner and pin lock socket with the leg. Re: the sweat - what I find is that if I put a sock on over my liner in the same way as I would if the socket was getting a bit too big, the sock absorbs most of the sweat and I can go on for ages and ages. If I forget to put the sock on though the leg is falling off before you can say boo to a goose.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Just out of interest - are you hoping to get the leg on the NHS? I had no luck when I tried this last year which I was not happy about.

Fiona

Right to update my position:

The new harmony e-pulse (not yet released but is in the trial stage) is just this: http://www.ottobockus.com/PRODUCTS/PATIENT...mony_epulse.asp

All it is is a valve and an electronic box, both of which can attach to the side of the socket. This means you keep the complete build height. I was talking to an Otto Bock representitive on Friday and he was saying they hope it will be on the market by the end of April. In the trials it is going VERY well however. The advantage, from what he knew, was that it senses the pressure in your socket and can adjust accordingly. So it you are sitting doing nothing, it will relax the pressure and if you are walking, it will up the pressure again.

As for getting this on the NHS, I am struggling. I was told that I can get the foot on the NHS (it actually costs less than my current Ceterus) however I was also told that I can not part fund the leg, so I couldn't get the foot on the NHS and then pay for the new Harmony myself, which is rediculous to be honest. I am thinking I might book a consult with Dorset and see what they suggest. It would involve a lot money from me but I am very determined to get the best leg possible to give my self a head start. Current goal is to have run a marathon before the London 2012 olympics :D

Will keep you updated and thanks for all the help, all suggestions are very welcome. I will be definately looking into the liner-liner and the make up pads.

Ali

Right to update my position:

As for getting this on the NHS, I am struggling. I was told that I can get the foot on the NHS (it actually costs less than my current Ceterus) however I was also told that I can not part fund the leg, so I couldn't get the foot on the NHS and then pay for the new Harmony myself, which is rediculous to be honest.

Ali

I find that very strange, I had new upgraded legs, sockets to go with my NHS feet that were partly funded by donations - what's the difference?

Am I right in thinking all he correspondents here are BK. I am AK and have yet too work myself to a sweat problem. Cycling round Holland in May ( no- hills!).

I have a mauch with a conventional suction socket (no removable liner) and a Rheo with a silicone/boyonet attachment.

Any suggestions on liners welcome.

thanks.

Hi Ali,

Good luck with it all! The harmony looks good - would you fit that to the flex run foot then? Is that how it would work?

Re: the NHS - I had to ask my consultant to apply to my PCT for funding for the leg but had no luck. In my case the reason I was told was that I already had 3 NHS legs - a flex foot, a leg with an elation foot and a water activity leg - and 3 was all they were willing to pay for for me. I ended up paying for the leg myself. It cost GBP4000. I got very angry about it at the time, especially so as the socket which was the most expensive part never actually fit me, and because I moved out here I never got the chance to sort it out. And because the foot as you say is relatively cheap - only 800 quid. But I suppose there were people more in need of the funding than I was when it came down to it.

Anyway, let me know how it goes. Maybe we could run a marathon together.

F

Fiona, I think that sounds like a good idea. My plan was to try and have this new running leg sorted by the end of the summer and then start training. I think if I can have a half marathon done in 2 years time then I will be on course to be able to complete a marathon in 3 or 4 years time. I would like to have more amputees running with me, so then we could possibly raise money for a worthwhile amputee cause. I have been talking with someone I know in Glasgow that runs and he was interested in taking part in such an event as well.

The reason for me not being able to get the new Harmony on the NHS is because it is only new to the market and so hasn't been properly tested, in journals and the like. This means that when I say I want it and I know it will be the best thing for me, because of its active pressure control, I have nothing to back it up with. My prosthetist says that he can make me a TEC socket but if this is the case then I will go to Dorset and ask them to make it for me. My alternative is that I might go straight to Otto Bock about it and see if I can persuade them to try it out, however I don't think I will be able to use the Ossur flex-run then.

Also once I get the cogs in motion I think I will start a blog and update it after completing different distances and keep people up to date on my progress, as the best way to train is to enter smaller running events, like 10kms and the like. Then at the end of it all I could have a good reference of everything I have done. That will be a good addition to the autobiography in future years, maybe like a supplement to it :D

Ali

Am I right in thinking all he correspondents here are BK. I am AK and have yet too work myself to a sweat problem. Cycling round Holland in May ( no- hills!).

I have a mauch with a conventional suction socket (no removable liner) and a Rheo with a silicone/boyonet attachment.

Any suggestions on liners welcome.

thanks.

Hi,

I am a RAK and am dreading summer I perspired so much last year! Plus the rash at the top inside of my leg! Lovely! I have a seal in liner from Ossur, which is all I've ever had. (I've been an amp for almost a year and a half)

There's a possibility that this summer will be better, Sue... my first year I was a sweaty, slippery mess, but by last summer I had no problems at all. My stump seemed to have figured out that it was going to be encased in liner and socket come what may, and it made its own adjustments.

Ok sorry for the actual uselessness of me updating on progress. I promised I would let you know how I am getting on and I hide away. Basically, there are several avenues I am working on how to get what I want (and I am not sure how they are all going). I will hopefully know in a few months if and when I will be able to get this leg made. I am still very keen on my original ideas, even more so after speaking to someone from Bock.

As for the running, I am still not confident enough to run on my current socket, I know I did the triathlon in it but that was different. I am trying to get some serious fitness going though, which is involving spending 4 1.5 hour sessions at the gym a week. I think I am getting much leaner and am building some serious muscle needed for proper running. Will try and keep you guys updated on progress anyway. I think once the crappy weather over here picks up I will try a bit of running on the streets after work. I am also going to start my swimming back up, need to cure low back pains and swimming is great for the core muscles.

Hi Ali,

Good on you. I would be well up for having a go at a few long distance runs with you in the next couple of years and raising money in the process.

Update wise on me, I got my new socket at the end of March just before I went away for a month to get married - great timing - and so I only got to try it out for the first time on Monday. It was great. Last year when I tried to run on it I had real pain in my thigh which I think was due to the fact that I had lost so much muscle there since the amputation. But since I have been in HK I have been going to a personal trainer and I think it must have worked - I only ran for 10 mins which I know isn't long, but I managed it for 10mins without stopping on a treadmill with no pain to my thigh whatsoever.

I am trying to interchange the running with spin classes and so went to spin on Tuesday but am going to give the running another try today at lunch.

I think my only problem with the running will be my stump - I am having problems with cists and sores on it at the moment and am worried that the running will make them worse. I tend to find though that the endorphins I get from doing exercise make the stump pretty numb and so I never actually notice what is happening to it until afterwards. Which isn't really good. Still, if you don't try you won't find out what you can do will you?

How is the quest for funding going?

Ali, apologies I've just found your post. If you're finding the time and the strength to post updates, you're not training hard enough. Swimming will help with your strength, stamina and help keep everything supple without the impact damage on your joints.

I'll be interested to hear about the leg when you get it.

This is like one big circle that I am going round with the leg. I think my plan is to get the leg from the NHS originally, so that I don't have to pay for it and then take it from there. I will get an appointment in July hopefully for casting and then one in August for fitting. Probably have the leg by September. I am currently swimming 3 times a week with a couple of weights sessions thrown in around it. I am swimming at a pace of a mile and a half in 1 hour, which is pretty good for me, if not very tiring. It also knocks off about 600 calories at a time.

Fiona, that sounds great too, look forward to hearing your updates :D And Mark I will try and keep you all updated, it is an exciting time for me so it is nice to be able to share it.

I am coking on gas now, have my appointments made for the whole leg and I should be up and running by the middle of August :D A guy from Otto Bock is coming over to help set up the leg, so it is perfect, which is good news. Will keep you updated further.

To update, I got cast and check socketed last week for my running leg. The harmony system was fantastic for suspension, it was going nowhere when you pulled to check suspension. I am getting delivery in August, will try and video me running with it then, all going well :D