Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
kahunamahalo

Treatment in U.S airports

I recently had to fly to California for my company (I do not travel very much) and had to go through security like everybody else. I travel through the airport in a wheelchair as I cannot walk distance anymore and when I got to the security area, I was ushered off to the side and was instructed that I would receive at "pat down" search. The TSA inspector told me that it would be acceptable to me if he brushed my genitals with the back if his hand during the search. I told him that if he touched me there, I would punch him in the face. He went from 0-60 and told me that he was going to call over a supervisor. I told him that if his supervisor touched me there, I would punch him too. I told him that it was unacceptable during a "pat down" search to touch anybody's genitals that was not under arrest. He became very flustered and eventually waved me through.

This has happened on more that one occasion and I tell them the same thing. I wonder how many people say "ok" and let them do what they want? This process is WAY over the line and I was wondering if it has happened to anybody else on this forum. In my book, behaviour like this is totally unacceptable, even under the guise of "national security".

Jerry

I have never been treated with anything but the utmost courtesy and respect in airports. I am always given the option of a private screening, which I don't need, and am given a running narrative and what they are doing and where on my person it is being done. No one has EVER touched me where they shouldn't nor have they ever asked to do it. Maybe this guy was a pervert?

Planes falling out of the sky or running into buildings is ALSO unacceptable. I would have changed planes if I saw you put up a stink about a mere brushing of a private area and got through because of it.

Were talking about the safety of hundreds, if not thousands of people. It was not fondling of the area now was it?

At this time with elections and the recent bombings of TWO airplanes in Russia by two women, I would hope that ALL of us would understand the inconvienance of it. Before 9/11 this was not done because there was not a need to do so. Those days are over.

Your lucky they did not take you to a private area to strip search you. Yes, they do have the right to do it if they want. Everybodys day could have been a little less stressful if you would have cooperated and if you feel you have been violated you could have called the airport police to file a report right there and then with the person who touched you being identified with police.

Yes, I have been searched with the back of the hand in that area, and it was a mere brushing. It is be same as standing in a packed subway car and someone brushing by you. Really.....thats all is is.

IT BEATS FALLING OUT OF THE SKY AT 35000 FEET ANYDAY !!!! B)

Amen,

your post brought a smile to my face after thinking back to my trips through the airport in a wheelchair. I am with you in that I dont really care if there is a .02% more chance of dying horribly due to someone using the plane as a statement I dont want any strange young buck tickling my privates.

Planes falling out of the sky or running into buildings is ALSO unacceptable. I would have changed planes if I saw you put up a stink about a mere brushing of a private area and got through because of it.

Were talking about the safety of hundreds, if not thousands of people. It was not fondling of the area now was it?

At this time with elections and the recent bombings of TWO airplanes in Russia by two women, I would hope that ALL of us would understand the inconvienance of it. Before 9/11 this was not done because there was not a need to do so. Those days are over.

Your lucky they did not take you to a private area to strip search you. Yes, they do have the right to do it if they want. Everybodys day could have been a little less stressful if you would have cooperated and if you feel you have been violated you could have called the airport police to file a report right there and then with the person who touched you being identified with police.

Yes, I have been searched with the back of the hand in that area, and it was a mere brushing. It is be same as standing in a packed subway car and someone brushing by you. Really.....thats all is is.

IT BEATS FALLING OUT OF THE SKY AT 35000 FEET ANYDAY !!!! B)

Dave,

When I posed the question, a simple yes or no would have sufficed. I had to do a double take to make sure that I was reading an Americans response. It sounds like the exremists have you running scared brother. After reading about your willingness to give up your freedoms for a false veil of personal safety, I came to the conclusion that I would not wish to have you serving next to me in a conflict. I want to thank you for the warm welcome to this forum and want to know if you greet all the newbies in this fashion? I wish you a wonderful life, small as it is.

Jerry

Threatening to punch people who are there for your safety... stunning...

It's pretty serious, I would have taken you into a private room and strip searched you, people like you just make the job of people who are there to protect all of us, more difficult.

You wouldn't have flown if you'd refused the search if I had my way.

To suggest the person doing the checking is a pervert says more about the person saying it than the person being spoken about.

I have to say I'm finding it really hard trying not to be quite abusive to you.

To suggest the person doing the checking is a pervert says more about the person saying it than the person being spoken about.

I asked if maybe the person was a pervert, oneblue, not Jerry. As I stated, I've always been treated courteously and agree that they are doing their job. I'm most happy to comply.

I asked if maybe the person was a pervert, oneblue, not Jerry. As I stated, I've always been treated courteously and agree that they are doing their job. I'm most happy to comply.

I understood that marie... why would you suggest they are a pervert? they are doing their job. That's a retorical question, no need to answer... ;)

A handicapped man in a wheel chair wearing an explosives vest blew himself up inside a police building in the central Iraqi town of Samarra on Monday, killing a senior officer, security officials told AFP.

Two other officers were also killed in the attack.

A security official said he was allowed to enter the building without being searched as he was handicapped.

-_-

A handicapped man in a wheel chair wearing an explosives vest blew himself up inside a police building in the central Iraqi town of Samarra on Monday, killing a senior officer, security officials told AFP.

Two other officers were also killed in the attack.

A security official said he was allowed to enter the building without being searched as he was handicapped.

-_-

Good one Dave... if I were k'halo (I'm not typing that name lol) I'd feel a bit stupid right now ;)

I meant it to be funny....and my name is MARCIA.

I meant it to be funny....and my name is MARCIA.

An American using irony, sorry you caught me out there ;o)

Your username is mmarie... it was an honest mistake, sorry MARCIA

I'm with OBL on this, living in and around London all my life and having friends killed in various IRA and other terrorist bombs it doesn't stop me doing anything or going anywhere in my day to day private or work life.

But when measures are put in place to safeguard myself and others you knuckle down and live with it, like when the ring of steel is up around London and the traffic grinds to a halt. You carry on the best you can knowing the measures are there for a reason, you don't B..ch and whine and press your horn as all you do is pee everyone off.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the comment

I came to the conclusion that I would not wish to have you serving next to me in a conflict
thinking on the one hand your talking about fighting and killing people alongside someone but conversely your not happy to have the front of your trouser brushed against to help safeguard everyone else, funnily enough my view would be the total opposite of that ;)

And as for treating newbies badly, why bring that up. If someone posts something that needs a certain response they get it, I don't look at their post count and go "ahhh their new, I'll agree with them then" and send you off with a pat on the head and hair tussle.

Seems everyone is getting a little testier than usual. Mr K is entitled to his opinion as much as anyone else. Why dont we all play nice together and drop the terrorist rhetoric?

I'll agree with that one.

Add me to that list... :blink: you can have a difference of opinion without being snotty (sp) about it...I do

believe the winter has been toooo long.

Hold on a minute, this guy is threatening to punch people... there's nothing wrong with people getting 'testy' about that! Don't be so sensitive... look... :D I'm smiling :D

People get sensitive when you talk down to them and try to make them look stupid.

The federal government has a law in place that was created just after TSA was formed, designed to protect any TSA agent from being verbally and/or physically assaulted or abused. Most people don't know this, but the fines -- depending how far a passenger pushes things -- can be from $5000 - $25,000 and the passenger is placed on a Do Not Fly List. Just fair warning people. ;)

Politics, religion, and Homeland Security... three topics that can be guaranteed to stir strong emotions. Trying to maintain a balance between the individual and "the system" is tricky... especially when personal privacy is at stake.

I recently saw a tape of a "inspection of the inspectors" in which TSA officials, wearing explosives, were able to walk through a "full screening" without being detected. When this happened, they conducted trainings with the airport staff to show how the "device" had been missed in the routine screening. They then attempted it again... and again passed the screening.

Now, I'll admit that some TSA inspectors can be abrasive, and I've protested such treatment. (The worst I've encountered since my amputation, oddly enough, was at the Atlanta airport following last year's ACA Conference. Perhaps she'd just seen too many amputees in one day??) Making threats against the screener, however, isn't likely to improve the situation.

Before I flew for the first time after my amp, I had the opportunity to speak with a TSA Supervisor at LAX who is also an amputee. He gave me a good idea of what could and could not be expected in the course of a screening, and he recommended that, in any disagreement between passenger and screener, the passenger should request that a supervisor be called to mediate the situation. In that respect, Jerry, it would seem that procedure was being followed in your situation. (I can also understand your not wanting to be touched in such a private area... and the potential for such an inspection being necessary under certain conditions, as well.)

I think it might be good to remember that each and every human interaction is different and unique, and that we can best make this forum work when we share our differences without attacking one another.

Peace, brothers....?

Personally I get worried if I walk through a scanner at an airport and either my leg doesn't set it off (which has happened) or I don't get searched (which has also happened). I would far rather I get searched properly even if they make me take the leg off in front of everyone, than feel unsafe.

Ironically one of the places I have experienced the most lax security in the world in relation to my leg is in one of the muslim countries that I have to go to on a fairly regular basis for work. Incidentally in this particular country they still tell me off every time I forget that I have a bottle of water in my bag when going through security. Bizzarre indeed.

Small Explosion Rattles New York's Times Square

By Margaret Besheer

New York

06 March 2008

Authorities in New York City say a small explosive device detonated near a U.S. military recruiting station in the Times Square district of the city. The blast happened in the very early hours Thursday morning. From New York, VOA's Margaret Besheer has more.

Just a thought, what if the person with the bomb was catching the same flight as Mr K and was a able to board the plane because security were no longer aloud to invade personal space. I wander what Mr K's last thoughts about airport security would be as his now ripped apart body is sucked through the hole in the planes fuselage.

If I was told I had to walk naked through security I would do it. It’s not personal and it’s not about me, it’s about the safety and wellbeing of my fellow passengers and air crew.

It’s not personal and it’s not about me, it’s about the safety and wellbeing of my fellow passengers and air crew.

Not to mention all the people on the ground....What goes up, Must come down and its not always over a cornfield.

I do agree, there are needs of improvement as far as searchs go and there are failures in the system and the people who conduct them but it must start with cooperation from EVERYBODY. Hopefully in the near future we wont even have to deal with the human contact part and we can wisk through without even stopping or standing in a line.

If I was a pilot with my own airplane, you would not be searched at all, you would just have to wear the toga that I provide. Dont worry, I will turn the heater up and provide hot drinks. ;)

Also discounts for "Mile High Club" members. :rolleyes:

If I was told I had to walk naked through security I would do it. It’s not personal and it’s not about me, it’s about the safety and wellbeing of my fellow passengers and air crew.

Surely if you were concerned for the bell being of your fellow passengers and crew, you wouldn't walk through security naked! You've conjured up a quite uncomfortable image :o