Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
BooBoo

Hello from DE, USA

Hello everybody! First time poster here. I'm a RBKA from November, 2000. I live in northern Delaware, USA and lost my leg in a hunting accident. The doctors had tried to save my leg, but there was too much damage. I still work full time and have several hobbies that keep me occupied in my free time. Will be 43 in 2 weeks, married 21 years, with two daughters and a grandson.

Think my biggest problem has been accepting the fact that I'm an amputee. I've finally (and reluctantly) recently purchased a wheelchair. I bought a "Quickie" and hope I've made a good decision. The main reason I bought it was, I have a neuroma, and what feels like a lump of some sort on my shin. This makes it difficult to walk and a constant reminder that I'm missing half my leg. In the past, I've pushed myself to walk and I'm trying to take out the unnecessary walking. Think most of my recovery has been physical and I'm still working on the psychological side of it. Asking for help is something I need to work on. Looking forward to reading more in here. Thanks for having me!

Welcome BooBoo. Like you, I stay busy with three jobs, house, ailing wife and life. Lost my left leg 4 years ago to gunshot wound. Thankfully I have no problems with neuromas or phantoms. I get the occasional ZINGER now and again or a throbbing toe.

Glad you found us.

Neal

Hi BooBoo, welcome to the forum. I found it harder to accept the wheelchair than the loss of limbs. Getting back to full time work really helped me to get back to normal and this forum has really help - you're not alone.

Hi Ya BooBoo,

I'm a LBKA due to a motorcycle accident in 1981. Lots of great folks in here. Are you planning to go to the A.C.A. conference this year. Yeah, I must admit we hve to stay active if we are to overcome some obtacles in our lives. I put my first leg on in 1982 and haven't looked back. You'll meet some really knowledgable folks in her. Have a great day!!!! Jerry

Welcome, BooBoo. You've find a great place

Welcome to our great forum BooBoo....I think this will help you.

^_^

ann

Thanks for the welcome! Going to see the doc this morning to find out what the next step is for this leg. I don't know if it's possible to kill the neuroma with a shot or something, but he said he'd find out. The neuroma is on the right, and the swelling at the moment is on the left side of the shin. My orthopedic surgeon told me to get rid of it, he'd have to cut the leg 8 inches and take the nerve out altogether. As you can imagine, I said no. Whatever is under the skin moving around feels like a small bead. Almost like a piece of bone, leftover stitch, or someone lost an earring, but X-rays didn't show anything in the preliminary viewing yesterday. A radioligist is supposed to look at it this afternoon though.

And Jerry, excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what the A.C.A. is. :blush: (Amputee Coalition of America perhaps?) I've tried to ignore this leg as much as possible, which includes not doing much online searching either. What is their purpose and what goes on at the conferences? The only time I come forward as an amputee is when I see another amputee in person, I'm the first to approach them and end up talking for an hour.

Hi

Welcome to a great group of people. Buying a Quickie is a great choice in my books. I was in a wheelchair for three years before my amputation (RBK) and I like the Quickie. There is a medical supply place in Arizona (I think) that were great and helpful with wheelchair needs http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/contact_us/ They really tried working with me to solve problems--mostly with the airlines loosing parts or damaging the chair.

I hope you can find help with the neuroma and phantom pain. People in this group have repeatedly that we do not have to live in pain--just keep pushing to get pain free.

Best wishes,

Beth Marie

Hi, BooBoo, and welcome! Jerry and I were both at the ACA (yes, it's the Amputee Coalition of America) conference last June (along with several others of us from the forum). If you're now looking at the psychological adjustments to being an amputeee, I can't think of a better place to put your life in perspective!

The ACA is active on several fronts. They're an advocacy group that lobbies for a number of issues, including prosthetic parity in insurance coverage... they do outreach and education (amputees helping amputees)... they provide training for support group leaders and peer visitors, they publish literature... all in all, they are a VERY active group that is out to show the world that living well post-amputation is not only "possible," it's normal!

The conference was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. There were three days of educational workshops (everything from "caring for your prosthesis" to gait training to "men's issues" and "women's issues" to swimming lessons! There were exercise classes, dance lessons, a 5-K run for the athletes among us, and even a dinner dance. There was also the chance to just "sit and talk for hours" with over 800 amputees... perhaps the most valuable activity there!

I can't work the conference into my budget this year, but I'm hoping to be back in 2009. If a trip to Atlanta fits your schedule and budget, I'd definitely recommend checking it out! There are always a good number of forum members in attendance, so you're even guaranteed some folks you know.

I'm a LBKA of just over three years, BTW, and it was getting involved with this forum (and a couple of others) that helped me adjust to this "new life." (Which really isn't all that much different than my "old life!")

Hello everybody! First time poster here. I'm a RBKA from November, 2000. I live in northern Delaware, USA and lost my leg in a hunting accident. The doctors had tried to save my leg, but there was too much damage. I still work full time and have several hobbies that keep me occupied in my free time. Will be 43 in 2 weeks, married 21 years, with two daughters and a grandson.

Think my biggest problem has been accepting the fact that I'm an amputee. I've finally (and reluctantly) recently purchased a wheelchair. I bought a "Quickie" and hope I've made a good decision. The main reason I bought it was, I have a neuroma, and what feels like a lump of some sort on my shin. This makes it difficult to walk and a constant reminder that I'm missing half my leg. In the past, I've pushed myself to walk and I'm trying to take out the unnecessary walking. Think most of my recovery has been physical and I'm still working on the psychological side of it. Asking for help is something I need to work on. Looking forward to reading more in here. Thanks for having me!

Welcome BooBoo, I know you'll enjoy the ppl and your stay here.

I totally agree, asking for help sometimes can be a hard thing to do. When I became a LBK in 96, I too needed to ask and thought, how sad :( I would be if no one offered their help. So I put my pride in my pocket and those times that I needed it, ppl were glad to help. However, I'm very stubborn in my ways and would do everything I could, before I'd accept. Perhaps maybe INDEPENDENT is a better word!! Which is a good thing, but sometimes it takes time to gain that INDEPENDENCE you once had back and until then, we may need a little assistance. All the best to you.

Sheila :)

Thanks for the kind words Sheila. I am learning that "independence" has taken on a new meaning since I lost the leg. I'm slowly getting back on my feet, and nothing like being immobilized to really humble you. In the process of working out the kinks in a new leg and hopefully be back to somewhat normal by the end of the month.

Thanks for the kind words Sheila. I am learning that "independence" has taken on a new meaning since I lost the leg. I'm slowly getting back on my feet, and nothing like being immobilized to really humble you. In the process of working out the kinks in a new leg and hopefully be back to somewhat normal by the end of the month.

A belated welcome to you! I'm not too far from you - in Southern NJ. I still don't like that my leg is gone but I have done pretty well adapting, plus I have a great physical therapist and prosthetist that have been a huge help this past year and a half.

The ACA conference was also good for me - helping me see I wasn't alone.

Marlton Rehab in NJ is also holding a "First Swing" in May and the O & P is having a First Volley on the 10th in PA. They are other good places that for me have helped in my transition in becoming an amputee.

http://www.ampsinaction.org/Newsletter.htm

Best,

Susan

We're only about a 15 minute drive from the De. Memorial Bridge and head into NJ frequently to hit Cowtown. A bit of a walk and not really wheelchair friendly. And tennis? Heehee..I wasn't very good playing when I had two good legs! :blush: Don't see too much around here for amps to do and I'll keep my eye on that link. Thanks!

A late welcome from ND! Welcome to the family. I'm a rbk since 2003 as a result of a car accident. Take care and glad you could join us.

Carol

welcome booboo,

I hope you feel at home!

We're only about a 15 minute drive from the De. Memorial Bridge and head into NJ frequently to hit Cowtown. A bit of a walk and not really wheelchair friendly. And tennis? Heehee..I wasn't very good playing when I had two good legs! :blush: Don't see too much around here for amps to do and I'll keep my eye on that link. Thanks!

Hi,

Hopefully you will be feeling well and walking well soon. Tim Rayer used to work at POSI (Prosthetic and Orthotic Solutions, Inc.) which is where my prosthetist is. Tim has moved on and apparently has an office down by the phila airport. Anyway, hopefully your prosthetist is doing a good job for you!

Regarding tennis, I was never good or really a player either, though I was out on a court a few times in my younger years...and I certainly can't do much at this point, but the adaptive programs are made for amps and are so welcoming. It has been inspiring to me to go and see others in my own boat and to want to make strides to get stronger and more accomplished - if others are doing it, then so hopefully can I. There are also programs for those who use wheelchairs, though I don't know any details about them.

If you do decide to do any of these events, let me know via PM so we can meet. Did you see the video from the last First Volley?

Best,

Susan