Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dlovu

fitness exercise

As a aboveknee amputee if you are doing fitness exercises that require sitting or lying do you remove the leg or leave it on? Also if you remove the leg do you cover the stump with anything?

Thanks

Dave

It all depends upon how comfortable you are, when you're doing your exercises. Do what feels right for you.

Lizzie :)

As a aboveknee amputee if you are doing fitness exercises that require sitting or lying do you remove the leg or leave it on? Also if you remove the leg do you cover the stump with anything?

Thanks

Dave

You'd be better off leaving it on as a lot of exercises say like sit ups and swiss ball work both sides of your stomach, if you only have the one leg on you' only be working one side of your stomach.

Try and do them as normally as possible just adapt yourself as you go, like for me press ups I do from the knee's rather than feet.

It's also worth finding a decent site to ask Q's on as normally there is several exercises that do the same thing but in different ways so if you cna't do it one way there may be another.

Thanks for the responses so far. I think the answer is do what can work comfortably and within the constraints that the c-leg I have that does not like to bend unless I am walking. So depending on the exercise I will have the leg on or off. As for literature on exercises the only one I found was by gailey and they all depict exercies without the leg on.

Dave

Thanks for the responses so far. I think the answer is do what can work comfortably and within the constraints that the c-leg I have that does not like to bend unless I am walking. So depending on the exercise I will have the leg on or off. As for literature on exercises the only one I found was by gailey and they all depict exercies without the leg on.

Dave

My c-leg bends slowly, when I get on the floor to do exercises. It depends on how your prosthetist has the resistance set.

Keep it on!

I find toieng in the foot and adjusting the heel angle a great benefit in the bike machines ( I am RAK).

I got a new regime after the amputaiton - floor excersise that require balance of 2 legs are awkward. also want the specific exercises to reduce the physical problems that weren't around before