Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Trekkie

Hello to All

I am a 55 year old BKA since February 28 2007My amputation was cause by the radiation treatments of my cancer in my left foot.

In January 2006,I thought I had a cyst on the foot. It was a leiomyosarcoma. I had the caner removed and started radiation and hyperbaric treaments. The radiation caused osteo narcrosis in the foot. In April 2007 I received my new foot. People do not realize that I am an amputee.

The only problen I have had is heat rash. Here in Oklahoma with the hot Summers with a silicon liner it was bad. I have started using Drisol now, hope it helps.

Hope to hear from you all

^_^ Welcome "Trekkie" we are a happy group on this forum...all of us have been through alot & made it...so will you....We have alot of very knowledgeable guys & gals.

Have a seat & enjoy your time with us.

;)

ann

^_^ Welcome "Trekkie" we are a happy group on this forum...all of us have been through alot & made it...so will you....We have alot of very knowledgeable guys & gals.

Have a seat & enjoy your time with us.

;)

ann

Well Ann , I am still going though some more stuff. In November of last year my oncologist found that my cancer had matasasized( I did not spell it right) to my liver. I had surgery in December to remove a fist size area and my gall bladderon the right side. On follow up CT no cancer was found. I decided to take preventive Chemo tho. I am in my second cycle now.

I hope there are others on the forum that are amputees and are still battling cancer, I would like to hear from them.

Ed

Welcome Ed.

This is a great group. I am not battling cancer but I am in your age group and somewhat of a trekkie myself. I know you'll find lots of valuable info and support here and if I can answer any questions relating to dealing with the amputation I'll sure try. I'm somewhat of a newbie to this situation (2 1/2 years) also and am still discovering how to deal with various situations. I also seem to be trying to set the record for using the word situation in one paragraph. Anyway, welcome from Oregon.

Ken

Hi, Ed. Welcome to our forum family. :)

G'day Ed :D

Welcome to the forum Ed. I hope that you will find the answers you are looking for here.

There are others, who have dealt with many different things, not always cancer..

I'm a lbk since 2002, due to trauma, and a cancer survivor as well, although,it didn't pertain to my amputation.

All you have to do, is just post, and I'm sure that someone will have an answer...

Higgy

Hi, Ed, and welcome!

Welcome to the fold.... the family.... the games.... the monkey house..... the machine.... etc.....

Anyway, glad to have you!!!!

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum and ditto what everyone else said about how helpful this group is. I take a group to Viet Nam each summer and I got a heat rash where I did not put antiperspirant so I just put it all over the portion covered by the sitcom liner and it seem to help and to keep my leg a little dryer. It sure is hot and humid there the end of July.

Again, welcome, Beth Marie

welcome

Hi Ed, welcome from a fellow amputee in North Dakota. I'm a rbk since 2003 as a result of a car accident. There's always somebody here that will lend an ear in good times and bad. Glad you joined us and I sincerely hope your year gets better.

Carol

Hi Ed, welcome from a fellow amputee in North Dakota. I'm a rbk since 2003 as a result of a car accident. There's always somebody here that will lend an ear in good times and bad. Glad you joined us and I sincerely hope your year gets better.

Carol

Thanks Carol,

I start on my second cycle of chemo Tomorrow(Tuesday) I have only lost my hair on my head as of right now. Boy do I look ugly!

Do you use a sock under your liner for sweating? I just started using one and it rubs a lot.

Any suggestions?

Ed

Carol

Thanks Carol,

I start on my second cycle of chemo Tomorrow(Tuesday) I have only lost my hair on my head as of right now. Boy do I look ugly!

Do you use a sock under your liner for sweating? I just started using one and it rubs a lot.

Any suggestions?

Ed

"Ed" maybe higgy will see your post....she has the name of a deodorant (which didn't write down) that helps for excess sweating.

;)

ann

The anti-antiperspirant that I use is a roll on called Certain-Dri.....

I've heard others say they use a roll on called Dri-Sol that works well too....

I was told to use them at night, after washing my limb and letting it dry well.. Then after about a week, maybe two, you can back off to using it every other day.. Then, as time goes on, you can get away with using in only every few days... It works for me.. It doesn't absolutely stop the sweating, but it reduced it a lot..no puddles of sweat to pour out.....

Just don't use it and then immediately don your leg... It gives it time to work/absorb when you use it at night.. Or so they told me any way.......

The anti-antiperspirant that I use is a roll on called Certain-Dri.....

I've heard others say they use a roll on called Dri-Sol that works well too....

I was told to use them at night, after washing my limb and letting it dry well.. Then after about a week, maybe two, you can back off to using it every other day.. Then, as time goes on, you can get away with using in only every few days... It works for me.. It doesn't absolutely stop the sweating, but it reduced it a lot..no puddles of sweat to pour out.....

Just don't use it and then immediately don your leg... It gives it time to work/absorb when you use it at night.. Or so they told me any way.......

Thanks HIGGY ,

I got the DRI-Sol and it is working. It says to put it on at night after bathing the wash it off in the morning and let the residual limb dry before donning my leg.

Again thanks for the info.

Ed

Hi Ed. I do wear socks and they don't bother me too much. I need to get a new leg made though as this one has gotten too big. Hope treatment went okay. Take care.

Carol

Hi my name is Jenni and I have a AKA of my left leg due to having a Liposarcoma in my calf. I had my ampution 19 years ago when I was 36, I had 6 months chemotherapy following the amputation and have no problems since. I've been very active on my limb and have probably done more since my amputation than I did before.

I carried on working as a theatre nurse for 5 years following my operation as well as having a very hectic social life. I'm not so active now because I've recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I also have a good sense of humour.

I am a 55 year old BKA since February 28 2007My amputation was cause by the radiation treatments of my cancer in my left foot.

In January 2006,I thought I had a cyst on the foot. It was a leiomyosarcoma. I had the caner removed and started radiation and hyperbaric treaments. The radiation caused osteo narcrosis in the foot. In April 2007 I received my new foot. People do not realize that I am an amputee.

The only problen I have had is heat rash. Here in Oklahoma with the hot Summers with a silicon liner it was bad. I have started using Drisol now, hope it helps.

Hope to hear from you all

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum.

Sheila :)

Hi my name is Jenni and I have a AKA of my left leg due to having a Liposarcoma in my calf. I had my ampution 19 years ago when I was 36, I had 6 months chemotherapy following the amputation and have no problems since. I've been very active on my limb and have probably done more since my amputation than I did before.

I carried on working as a theatre nurse for 5 years following my operation as well as having a very hectic social life. I'm not so active now because I've recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I also have a good sense of humour.

Hi Jenni, welcome. Hey a good sense of humor, I like that, b/c to me without it, you can miss the fun side of life. You sure have been busy a busy lady with all that activity, so good for you. I know how things can sometimes get in our way, as I have psoriatic arthritis and like you, not so active nowadays, but I feel even to do a little, is better than to nothing at all. Keep up the good works!

Sheila :)

Hello Jenni

Her in Oklahoma it is hard to get even retrained to do work. I went for evaluation( I did all the tests) and they said I did not need retaining. I had different jobs during my 35 years of work that I should be able to find something. The last job was a desk job but what I diid was a specialized type of job. I had one place say they wanted a younger person when they found out I was 55. Right now I am tring to find work I can do out of the house.

Trekkie, asking about age in a job interview is illegal... if that continues to be a problem, don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. Ditto when it comes to questions about your disability: if it is not applicable to whether you can do the job, don't let them hold it against you.

I'm fortunate, as I was able to return to my "regular" job following my amputation. (I'm a secretary.) My employer has been very good about the ffew modifications I've needed as a result of my illness and amp. Is there a possibility of you getting in touch with a prior employer who might welcome the chance to have you "back on the team?"