Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Higgy

Where has everyone gone?

I've had a few problems with elderly people to look after (my parents and others) so have often only had a quick look in most days but I am here. I agree about the problems joining the site - I understand why but I had lurked and got frustrated about it not letting me join for ages before I noticed that there were new people joining and took appropriate action so that I could. Maybe other newbies that desperately need our help are also out there frustrated??

I am always happy to help with questions if I can but often the queries are outside my particular experience so I can't really help :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hi All,

I must admit that I am more a reader than a poster, but Higgy is right we need to post more. I know this site and the whole website was invaluable to me when I found it about 8 months after my amputation--I just wish membership was not closed at the time. I felt I had at long last I found a site that was healthy and addressed issues that were also my issues. I just wish I could have asked questions at the time. I think it would have helped me in many ways. Oh well, no use "crying over spilt milk." I was glad to be able to read what you are saying and ask questions and contribute when I can.

I have been involved in a very nasty harrassment case at work based on gender and disability. A terrible example was when I was reprimanded for being late to many thing, which was true. In the beginning I never knew when my leg would go on easily and when it was a battle to get it comfortable. I tried my best, but I think we all know how it is. My boss told me that was no excuse and he didn't care why I was late, I was to be there on time no matter what--how is that for compassion in a Christian institution. He has been very slow or ignores my request for adaptations--the main stair case has something like a 2x4 for a handrail. I can't get a good grip and all I am asking is that a round rail be put on the one that is there; I have been asking for 2 1/2 years. I now have Occupational, Health and Safety involved. Maybe their opinion will have more weight When I complained to our governing board my bosses harrassing behaviour, on Gender and disability, it said they found no harrassment because I was the only woman on faculty and they had no one to compare me to!!!!!! How is that for logic? Now I have to get a lawyer :-(

All this tirade is to say many nights I did not have the energy to post, but all of you were voices of sanity with my amputation. I am looking forward to seeing many of you in Atlanta.

Peace, Beth Marie

It's when I hear about something like that, that I'm thankful for my employer! I've had a few "snotty comments" over the years from co-workers who have accused me of getting "special treatment because you're a cripple," but the vast majority of my colleagues and bosses have been very understanding! I hope you get a good resolution to your case, BethMarie.

"sparky" dare you to move your musical instrument :blush::blush:

Only for a substantial sum <_<

Beth, make sure you stop by the met your rep tables and say hello to JV and I... we'll both be there...

It's sad that you have had to put up with things at work like they are... Why can't people just comply with the laws like they're supposed to? <_< <_<

"sparky" will let it go this time.....because we have really missed your wit.

;)

ann

;)

ann

Just for you

It's nice to see people are still alive and kicking... :)

I check back every now and again but really only read, rather than post.

Leave it to you Sparky!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some how, I just knew that something like that was going to pop up after Ann's suggestion.....

Lord have mercy, dude, your missed when your not around.......

I'm here occasionally. :)

Although, the new page you get directed to (before you get to the forum) was a bit off-putting at first. :wacko:

;)

ann

Ohhhhhhhhhhh you said WIT.........ok I'm with you now :P

;)

ann

Just for you

PUT THE GUITAR BACK!!!!!!!! PUT IT BACK PUT IT BACK........ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH MY EYES ARE BURRRRRRRNING :P

I am here also.. I read more now than post! Life has taken a turn to where I dint want it to go.. leg wise, I am ok, but I have alot of issues I am trying to deal with..

Samuel

Hi Everyone,

I have to admit that I have not been showing up as much as I was when I first joined. It has almost been a year and a half since my RAKA, and I am slowly starting to feel stable and back to being ME! But no excuses, and thanks Higgy for posting this thread, as it is an important one.

This board has been a lifeline for me both right before my amputation and the numerous months following it. Questions to have answered by wonderful folks who had been there. Issues to mull over together. Times just to laugh at issues only we can know about. Great links to share. Motivation to do more because of seeing other's accomplishments. Being able to go to the ACA conference for the first time and not feel like an outsider. From the moment I got there I felt very included and it was wonderful!

I consider myself pretty good at "googling" and being able to find things in "Cyberspace", and this was the only forum where I was comfortable on. I too was disappointed when I asked and the membership was closed, but I wrote and Johnny got right back to me. In actuality, I think it is a blessing as I really want to have conversations with others in my own shoes and, no offense, not others who are just curious and for lack of a better word, preoccupied with people with amputations. I did post on another forum and have gotten several e-mails from people wanting to talk and they are not amputees! Not that that is wrong, and I certainly am one who will educate others around me, but on my terms, and with people who care about me and respect me. I like that we can use this forum without having to give out e-mails and to communicate to each other at our own level of comfort.

I have to admit that for a while I wasn't really visiting at all, spending a lot of my time back on the Labrador Retriever forums that I am addicted to, lol, but I started coming back when I began thinking of the conference for this year and I have been checking in more regularly lately.

I too was concerned when my dedicated link took me to Heather's main page, (change can be scary, lol) and I hope that this forum is safe as it is as it is a wonderful wealth of info. Many times I have searched old posts, gleaming info from them on specific issues I have been facing.

I love you guys and love this place even though I haven't been around as much as I was.

But as Higgy said, we need to be there for the new people, and I will work on making it a point to be around a bit more.

Warmly,

Susan :)

I'm still about, but it's after midnight and I STILL can't get away from work!!! That's what keeps me from posting as often as I'd like...

I must say that it's great to see that whenever this question gets asked, so many old friends reappear! It confirms what I thought - we're all still here for each other, even if we can't always be at the party!

I do check in whenever I can, and I'll never forget how this forum changed my frightening, degenerating, increasingly-painful and increasingly-immobile condition into understanding and knowledge about my options; I hope all the prior posts can continue to survive as an archive of knowledge, because it was a priceless resource for me, as well as experiencing all the support and often hilariously amusing interactions with new friends!

Just to update y'all, I totally, utterly, completely LOVE my new Harmony system! I have the usual mild sleeve burn issues, and it's still not aligned quite right, but with the Otto Bock Axtion foot, it's an amazing combination. I haven't been this active since I had my accident, when I was 20, and it's an absolute joy being able to hurtle about like an adolescent again! It was a little worrying at first because the total contact socket was really quite uncomfortable for the first few weeks, but I've "walked through it", and my stump doesn't complain at all now; in fact, everything has come together synergistically - the Ertl, the excellent revision, and now the Harmony, and I can literally jump with all my (considerable!) weight onto my prosthesis, with no pain in my stump or other ill-effects at all - it's amazing...

...all of which means I'm now more aware of the problems with my hip on my amp side! I guess it's fate's way of telling me to slow down! They're going to do an arthroscopy and joint wash-out, and I'll just need to nurse it along for as long as I can - c'est la vie!

Anyway, I must finish this darned artwork, and then I'm going for a drink or three!

Take care everyone.

Best wishes

Roz. :)

;)

ann

"Sparky" well I'll be dammed :excl::excl: You really did it. What a cute "tush" :wub: OK "Cat" let's see you beat that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

ann

Just for you

"Sparky"

Here {this is the 25th.} & I just saw your post "Sparky".... I can't believe I didn't see it before now. Sure am glad you got your new computer....it's hard to tell what we'll see next :blush: .

;)

ann