Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Higgy

Where has everyone gone?

Hi Everyone......

I've been looking through the forum for the last year, and I am beginning to wonder where everyone has gone..

I know where a few of them went, and why, but where is everyone else?

Are our numbers seriously dwindling or have you all just found a new place that you would rather be? Has being an amputee, become so "common" these days, that no one has any questions any more? No problems? No life experiences/tricks/hints to share with the others?

They are asking about what to cut from the forum.. If there are members who are viewing but never post, then maybe it's time to get posting..I have saw multiple members on at one time, but not a single one signed in. I can and do understand busy lives..... mercy.... we all have them.

This forum has helped a huge number of people, and there are several new members in the last few months, looking for the same help we have all sought at one time or another. However, if no one is ever around, how do they find what everyone else has had? Where is the experience of being an amp, that they are looking to find, to answer part of the questions they have?

What everyone doesn't know, or realize, is there is a lot of background efforts made by the powers that be. If it's not utilized, then, why would they feel the need to keep putting in so much effort.. In the last month or so, there have been some hiccups when they were making some changes, but, thanks to those who took the time to report to us, the crew got it sorted out.

This forum helped me immensely when I became an amputee, and felt so inadequate, for the lack of information in my area. And that is the sole reason for it, to help others..to answer those questions that the new amputee will have, or even the experienced amp, who has developed a new problem..To tell your "trick" that got the insurance company to finally fulfill their obligations. To know what questions to ask the prosthetist, or if it's time to move on to a different one, who really cares. To give each of us a place that we can feel the camaraderie and know that there are others like us, dealing with the same things we are..that we are not alone, even when we most feel like it.. They are here to bolster us up, the proverbial shoulder to lean on. To just know, that at the end of a long day, that there is someone else that understands that for no apparent reason, it's just been one of those "leg" days. That truly "gets" it without us having to explain everything there is about being an amp, just to know that someone really understood. When phantom pain, or pain in general, feels like it has severed the last nerve we have, that there is someone here that can say, "I've been there, and you will get through it.''

Who knows if this forum was started first, or some of the others were. What does matter, is this is a place that people have been treated with respect, and equal. No matter what. That we haven't been allowed to become some political arena, or someones whipping post. That we are all treated fairly and decently.There have been heated discussions at times, yes, and it's a healthy thing. But, we try to make sure that no one is disrespectful or ganged up on.This is a place, that you actually might not mind, if your teenager went looking for someone who is living with the same sort of amputation they are, might just find an answer to something they have.

This forum, has been the one place on this planet, that race, creed, color, or preferences, haven't' made a difference. This is the place that friendships so solid they will last a lifetime have been made. Never mind the fact that some of these friendships are made with someone, in another country,or half way around the world. This is a place that we have all found solace in at one point or another............and peace in our souls.............

I'm here..........like you can get rid of me :P

I'm here, just more of as reader thasn a poster, as always.

I'm still here and keep hoping the postings will pick up. This has been such an important part of my day for so long I'd hate to think it might go away. I don't think I'd be here and still sane (no comments, Cat) if it weren't for this forum. Certainly, my life is much busier and more "normal" now than when I first joined but I still look forward to getting on and seeing what's happening. It was all of you that made me realize I could have a busy, normal life.

You're right about the friendships, Tammie. The friends I've made here are so very important to me. Being amputees is what brought us together but it's not what makes us friends. This forum is a way to stay in communication with each other. In a lot of instances, some of my friends still don't have faces but, miraculously, a lot of them do. One of the most awesome things in my life is that I have actually met some of you.

Let's get posting. We need this forum. :)

How right you are Marcia.......................

I'm not saying that everyone has to post everyday..I'm just saying that we need to have some forethought and not just let it all slip away thinking.. "oh well, someone else will do it".. If the people aren't posting, then, why bother?

I know that this forum came at a time for me that was important.. as well as with a large number of other members.. Why is it, that it is feels like a weight has lifted to be able to post that we are having a tough day and hear the words that someone else understands? And know they really do.. Am I the only person that thinks along those lines?

My soul reason for wanting to be the ACA rep for my region is because there was a HUGE lack of information. And support groups, and no one to best tell me how to wash my ply socks, or liners, or just to stop the heat rash or blisters that would start from a new liner..I didn't want someone else to have to try to find out the answers like I did.

It's nice to know that this forum means something to others as well..

I'm here also "Higgy" ...In fact I was so insecure when I had my amputation; I just felt I had no-one to talk to or who really knew what I felt and was going through. My family and Hubby was also there for me; but they didn't have a clue. You all know what I am saying. I {of course} am from a small town and there aren't many amps. around here. Heck I have spent the last seven years trying to get a decent leg. Then I met "Lady Higgy" who told me I did not have to take the crap I was being given. I then started getting a very strong backbone and started giving as good as I got...I got mouthy & wrote letters to the company and lit a fire :angry: under that 'ol boy...things started to happen in my favor :excl: Now I am a monster that doesn't need to be messed with. :wacko::wacko::wacko: But that is good :excl::excl:

If I had never found the forum, I would never have found the courage to take on my leg-man.

I think one of the reasons for alot of the tapering off is the fact so many wear their feelings on their sleeves; and I am not aiming this @ anyone in particuliar. Everyone has different opinions about certain things. Your view may not be the same as someone else. When something is typed & you can not see that person's expression or hear how they would have said it, it may be taken the wrong way. Alot of us (me included) can not express our feelings in an eliquent way; others can. That certainly does not mean you have to get hurt or mad and just not post anymore. :( PM them and get it straightened out.

We have to remember we are from different regions & circumstances ^_^ I for one am so glad we have a place to vent or cry or share. I guess I might be more easy going and laid back then alot of people. Come on, lets get a fire under those computers. I for one, do not want to loose our forum :excl::excl:

Thanks for letting me express myself.

;)

ann

Your most welcome anytime, Ann, that's what it's really all about here..

You and I are only about a year apart on our amps, and we've had someone there to bounce things off of..

It does make a big difference doesn't it.......

How are you getting along with your leg now?

You haven't really updated us on it since the fire was lit, and Hangers agree to remake your leg..

Your most welcome anytime, Ann, that's what it's really all about here..

You and I are only about a year apart on our amps, and we've had someone there to bounce things off of..

It does make a big difference doesn't it.......

How are you getting along with your leg now?

You haven't really updated us on it since the fire was lit, and Hangers agree to remake your leg..

Well after I wrote the company, it was only 4 days until my leg-man called me. IMAGINE THAT!! HE ACTUALLY CALLED ME :excl: This one was made FREE of any charges. Someone certainly got to him.

He is very slow, :( but I now have a leg that fits pretty well. I have the runway foot on it and am having quite a time walking outside on uneven ground...imagine he had never had anyone who wanted an adjustable foot. Someone told me he doesn't have it set up correctly... sooooooooooo guess who is going back & tell him the actual setting isn't quite right to walk outside. :lol: It's the monster :rolleyes::rolleyes: . I can hardly believe it's been that long...can you?? I have good days & bad ones...just like all of us.

I have a very good looking cosmetic covering & they did an excellent job on that. Maybe that is because I jumped the technician on the other one; he actually had the ankle the same size as my calf. Grrrrr!! I am thinking I will have them make me another leg, (to wear outside) using mostly my own collection. You know I have several and I think all the feet are different. Acouple do pretty well outside & will also save me some money & energy.

Thanks for asking...guess I just forgot to let you all know. Sorry.

;)

ann

Oh you got a leg from Hanger ann? I got one from there too. the guy didn't fit me right and I had a huge sore and I was on crutches all summer (i had to see a wound doctor and get pig intestine put in it. I love pigs, so that was quite depressing)

I have just been so busy with school. I have an 8 page history paper and a 10 page research paper for lit to do. And the SAT's coming up. And college stuff. As you may know, I went on my first date the other night! it was amazing! I'm going to his prom and hes going to mine. We both had medical condition and almost died as babies. We went for coffee and talked for hours. He hugged me at the end of the date. I saw him again at a play last night and he was in it so we really didn't get to talk. I have to invite him over for dinner. oh boy.

Anyway, I have noticed it dying down too. on another forum I'm on, we have a 'random facts' thread. people post something ranom, what they did that day, anything. I.E. 'i got a new job'...

We are on the 5th volume because it has sooo many posts. just a thought.

Oh you got a leg from Hanger ann? I got one from there too. the guy didn't fit me right and I had a huge sore and I was on crutches all summer (i had to see a wound doctor and get pig intestine put in it. I love pigs, so that was quite depressing)

I have just been so busy with school. I have an 8 page history paper and a 10 page research paper for lit to do. And the SAT's coming up. And college stuff. As you may know, I went on my first date the other night! it was amazing! I'm going to his prom and hes going to mine. We both had medical condition and almost died as babies. We went for coffee and talked for hours. He hugged me at the end of the date. I saw him again at a play last night and he was in it so we really didn't get to talk. I have to invite him over for dinner. oh boy.

Anyway, I have noticed it dying down too. on another forum I'm on, we have a 'random facts' thread. people post something ranom, what they did that day, anything. I.E. 'i got a new job'...

We are on the 5th volume because it has sooo many posts. just a thought.

^_^ B) ;) :rolleyes::mellow::blush::wub::blink: :D :P :) -_- <_< :ph34r: ^_^ :)

"Shelby" why don't you start it? It may be just what the doctor ordered :excl: By the way, my grand-daughter is going to the prom next week. She's a junior; and also was taking a SAT test last saturday. She wants to be an orthodonist (sp).

Do you know what you want to take in college?

Yes I want to go into medicine. I either want to be a plastic surgeon or an animal radiologist

i will say that i disappeared for a while.... and i actually thoguht about not returning due to the web page itself, not the people but the person who the web page is dedicated to......

i check in every now and then, but not as much!

Don't know if this still applies, but when I first came to this site, the membership was closed. I was told by another member how to join this site. Word of mouth is great (at keeping out the unwanted), but it may also be the reason why posting has dwindled. It is often new amputees with the most questions and need for support. If there aren't many new members, there may not be as many questions and need of support. Just a thought...

Lorri

Sorry that happened Hopalong. Hopefully it won't again.

"Shelby"

"Shelby" I love animals. I think that would be great. Why not go for the whole ball of wax and be a vet? I am sure you would be a good one.

Don't know if this still applies, but when I first came to this site, the membership was closed. I was told by another member how to join this site. Word of mouth is great (at keeping out the unwanted), but it may also be the reason why posting has dwindled. It is often new amputees with the most questions and need for support. If there aren't many new members, there may not be as many questions and need of support. Just a thought...

Lorri

The reason that things are like they are is because of the spam mail.. Hundreds a day.... it was the way to weed out the real from the not real.. We still answer every request we get for membership.. But...... some are doing like others, they watch, and read, but don't post..Have you ever noticed how many people can be on at one time, but only one or two members might be signed in? Yesterday........ there were 19 "guests" on the forum, and 2 members signed in........All the forums are slow right now, and I guess it's our turn finally.. but, it gets a little uneasy when it slows this bad...... :( :( :(

Lorri, are you going to Atlanta this year? And how's the leg doing?

I am still here although I read much more than I post and this forum has helped me tremendously. I would hate to see it go so thank you to all concerned in the running of it. You are all stars. :D

Well, I'm certainly not going anywhere! My problem, as I keep complaining about, is that I've been without a home computer for waaaayyyy too long now, and it limits the amount of time I can spend here. I WILL get this sorted out -- soon, I hope -- and I check in from work when it's possible.

It's awfully good to see such a strong response here!

I'm here too but bad about posting. I kind of got the feeling that others were better with some of the advice or we were all just repeating what had been said but I guess all words of encouragement are needed. I'll start "checking in" more often. This site has been so beneficial for me and I would hate to see it close down. I, personally, don't really care who started it but are more concerned about the everyday people that I have met along the way.

So, for an update, I am at a new job at the local University and love it. I am down to one crutch and will be getting cast for a new leg next week. Hopefully by the end of the month I will be crutch free and walking on my own! I had to re-take my driving test because the DMV just discovered that I'm an amputee. All went well and I am now driving for the first time in 8 months---it is great!!

I have a new granddaughter named Olivia Jean that was born on 3-15-08. She is a cutie and she and her mom are roomies with Grandma. Life sure throws some curves. I will send some pictures soon.

Take care all and I will be putting in my "two cents" on a more frequent basis.

Carol

I'm still here and I check in every so often.

I'm prepping up for more surgery - removal of the fib, and I've just been told that I have a rather large neuroma (again) :( on my common pereneal (?) nerve.

I will still keep checking in as I've had so much support, laughs and info from here.

Sue

I'm still here, had a few problems with my PC - had to buy a new one. Now I'm set up again and ready for Aussie abuse :)

Sparky....... you were missed!!!!!!! Cat had to go and find someone else to pick on...But, truthfully, it's nice to see you back again.... Your wit, along with Kep's, keep things interesting around here....

Cheryl.....hope you get a new computer soon.... You are definately missed lady!

Caroln....glad that your recovery is going so well. Sorry that we won't see each other at the conference....but, give the grand baby a coo for me too....You know, it doesn't matter if you don't think you are as eloquent with words as someone else.... What matters is you are trying, your holding your hand out to someone else.... Just like someone did to you.....Lord knows, I'm not near as good with words but it comes from the heart and that's what matters....

Sue.......sorry about your news {{{{{{{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I'm still here, had a few problems with my PC - had to buy a new one. Now I'm set up again and ready for Aussie abuse :)

You got that right "sparky" ^_^ ^_^ :excl: We have all been there haven't we ladies & gents :excl::excl:

Just kidding "cat" we all love it, or we would be PMing you.

;)

ann

"sparky" dare you to move your musical instrument :blush::blush: