Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

targets for this season

Hi,

I am glad that the topic of biking came up. I am a right BK amp and before the accident I really like riding my bike--I live in the very flat Prairies in Canada. My problem is that my right foot keeps running into the bike near the chain and I can't seem to position the foot so this does not happen--I usually get one time around and then I get caught in the bike. I hope this is clear and maybe one of you has a suggestion or two.

Many thanks, Beth Marie

Does you foot appear to shift while you're riding, BethMarie? I know that my foot slips outward until it slides off the pedal. Yours may just be sliding inward.

I've never liked toe clips, so I'm still slowly playing around with ways to keep me "anchored" to the pedal. I've had folks suggest both a mountain bike pedal with "teeth" combined with a shoe with a waffle sole, and simply velcroing myself to the pedal!

Hi,

I am glad that the topic of biking came up. I am a right BK amp and before the accident I really like riding my bike--I live in the very flat Prairies in Canada. My problem is that my right foot keeps running into the bike near the chain and I can't seem to position the foot so this does not happen--I usually get one time around and then I get caught in the bike. I hope this is clear and maybe one of you has a suggestion or two.

Many thanks, Beth Marie

Unless you walk very straight footed you'l almost certainly need to turn the ankle either inwards or outwards to get the foot correct on the pedal, this is one of the reasons I have a specific leg for cycling.

Easiest way to see is sit on a bench with your legs dangling over, unless your artificial leg points straight forwards it will need turning.

You can also get around it to start with by putting your heal on the pedal rather than the ball of the foot, but this can cause it's own problems like hitting the front wheel on your foot if it's a small framed bike.

Find more ways to get amputee's back on their bikes ;)

I often think I'd like to do that, but the crank is too long and it makes my ar*e uncomfortable... and I havn't got the cash to start investing in stuff like the shortened crank (let alone the bike!) to try something I'm not sure I'd carry on with.

What I really want is a trial on a bike like you can do in cars at these mobility shows. Maybe you should organise something for Beyond Boundaries? Just an idea...

Ian, I found these, and would you believe it, your neck of the woods - nearly.

East Hampshire Cycling for All

CTC

Find more ways to get amputee's back on their bikes ;)

I often think I'd like to do that, but the crank is too long and it makes my ar*e uncomfortable... and I havn't got the cash to start investing in stuff like the shortened crank (let alone the bike!) to try something I'm not sure I'd carry on with.

What I really want is a trial on a bike like you can do in cars at these mobility shows. Maybe you should organise something for Beyond Boundaries? Just an idea...

Ian, I found these, and would you believe it, your neck of the woods - nearly.

East Hampshire Cycling for All

CTC

Cheers Mark ;)

what is th benefitt of a shortened crank?

what is th benefitt of a shortened crank?

It means that your prosthetic side doesn't have to go through the same angle of motion as the pedals turn. There's a limit to the mechanical advantage given through the prosthetic side as an AK anyway, so you don't lose much in terms of reduced moment offered as result of the shortening. It's about comfort really, where your socket is quite an intimate fit around the top, it's just kinder not having to flex and extend your hip joint quite so much.

Take a peek at this site, the pictures make it much more obvious whats going on :)

http://www.highpath.co.uk/cycles/instruct/swing.html

You do loose some power and ground clearance though, but for cycling without needing a specific leg for it's it's very good :)