Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mick

targets for this season

In my part of the country, I’m pleased to say that winter has finally gone, there is still a bit of snow on a few distant hill tops but spring has arrived.

And even though I have been out hiking all winter, the warmer weather means longer walks better conditions and less bulky gear to carry

This has got me thinking about what special hikes that I want to do this season.

Last year I did the cheviot / hedgehop summits (815 & 714 metres) and did a really lovely hike down in the Yorkshire dales taking in Malham cove Gordale scar and Janet’s floss.

This year I really want to hike round High cup nick in the north Pennines & pop up into the boarders to do a hike around “the grey mare’s tail” (waterfall).

I’m not too sure of the route that I will take yet or the distance’s but I want to be able to enjoy the last few steps as much as the first few steps.

Naturally I will still be out a couple of times a week (work permitting) hiking locally but these are my special targets for this season.

You can see that I find walking very enjoyable and really want to make the most of it whilst I can.

Now what are your targets for this year?? It doesn’t have to be amputee related.

It could be something simple like:-you want to ask that young lady or man in the office out (if you feeling really luck ask both) or I think I will try my hand at fishing or something

Come-on I’ve told now you tell…………………..Mick

Nice one Mick good idea.

Hope your plans work out.

My goals this year are.

Have an awesome party for our 25th wedding anniversary.

Watch our oldest boy get married.

Lose 5 kilos

That should keep me fairly busy :D

That is a good topic.

I plan to attend the ACA conference in Atlanta in June which I am hoping helps to open up a whole new area of education and potential experiences in this new world of amputeeism, along with the opportunity to meet fellow posters from this site.

My 40th high school reunion takes place in Alaska the following weekend and it would be fun to attend but that's a little too much in too short a time. I'll catch the fiftieth.

I plan to start a regular schedule of exercising :excl: Yep, I hate the thoughts but it has to be done.

;)

ann

As for me...... I'm hoping to survive ( :huh: ) the kids camp that the ACA holds in July.. I'm going to be one of their counselors at it. :D I think it will be an awesome time..With all that they are will have going on, it sounds like it will be a few days of non-stop motion.. By the way, they still have a few openings this year, if you know of a child 10-16 with an amputation that might be interested in it....If you do, pm me, and I'll get the contact info to you...

Other than that, it sounds like more farm work, helping hubby, since he is facing a hip replacement at some point, and more tax classes ...... :wacko: tax day was over last Tuesday here in the US.... and now..... more of the same......it never ends for us......On the bright side......... the 10-14 hour days are over now!!!!!!!!!!!

Wooooooooo Hoooooooooooo................................

Fresh Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick, as you are going to be doing enough for two of us I'll just come and watch you.

My target for this year is to ride my bike again.

Hey Higgy,

If I act like a 10 - 16 year old, do you think they would let me attend?

Anything is possible Kep......... :rolleyes: I'm looking forward to it..

Guess you could talk to Derrick Stowell at the conference.... maybe you could sweet talk him into letting you go

:rolleyes:

Do you think Jerry will be there with any ducks?

Yes, they do!!!!!!! They have all sorts of interesting stuff don't they?

Too bad about camp..... I think the kids would have a ball with you.......

I have to decide if I am going to continue in Tae Kwon Do beyond my red belt (which I earnt earlier this month) to black tag and then black belt. I will definitely keep up with TKD it's just if I continue to grade, one of my instructors and some of the black belts feel I should, the other (senior) instructor hasn't given an opinion but I have doubts about if I could and indeed if I should. Otherwise my aims for this year is to see my son through the university application process and avoid killing my daughters (they are in the mega stroppy teenage phase at the moment).

Good topic, Mick!

I have two ongoing goals for this year:

The first is to FINALLY finish unpacking into my "new" apartment. (I've only lived her nearly four years, after all... but the first 2 - 3 of them, I spent nearly as much time in the hospital or in rehab!) Now I'm finally starting to make real headway, and I hope to have it really looking like "home" by the end of the year.

Goal number two is to continue to improve my walking on uneven ground. Recently, walking on grass without aids has -- at last! -- started to feel somewhat "normalish." Not quite fully normal, but pretty reliable. I want to get to the point where I don't think about the fact that I'm walking on open land any more than I do about walking on pavement. In time, I even hope to develop some skill at walking along the deep gravel path that runs behind my apartment building... that one still can throw me off balance!

I think part of what happens Cheryl is that your mind eventually gets used to being aware of what you are walking on...Jon used to look at me like I was nuts when I would say that my mind was tired of thinking at the end of the day.. I would get tired of thinking about where I had to put my foot and what the ground was like it underneath...Always planning 3 steps ahead of where your foot was going...I don't know if it ever gets to be "just like the real thing", but it can get pretty good..

This morning, I was walking out in the cow pasture to check a cow that had calved in the middle of the night..

Walking was a lot easier than it used to be....less concentration and more watching for cow doo.........Which was nice... I think to some extent, we will always be aware, but it becomes second nature, if you will....

However,cheers to you!!! :D :D I know that it has been a hard time for you the last couple of years and the fact that you are starting to feel more able to ambulate without aids is awesome.....(I still use a walking stick in the pastures). As for unpacking.....yuck........... I hate moving.........you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does walking on gravel or rocks EVER feel normal?? :wacko:

My goals are to --get a leg that fits and doesn't give me pain--climb a rock wall--maybe join an online dating service. 2 out of 3 isn't so bad!

Carol

I'll just come and watch you. :o

Isn’t there name for people like you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This years goals:

Regular solo cycling - have a tour of northern Holland in 2 weeks but will be going on a tandem to avoid possible slowing down of the rest of the group . Haven't been on the road yet - just been on static in gym

Renew currency on the Chipmunk and other tail-draggers

Get back to diving

Survive the economic downturn in my work sector

get planning permmisson and start building (not by me!) new house (ultra modern and disabled friendly) in garden. current house has 30 stairs to front door!

keep positive

loose 10kg weight 80kg which was what I was befor the accident - and that was a little too much foy my buils; now weigh the same but am missing a leg

Does walking on gravel or rocks EVER feel normal?? :wacko:

"Marcia" so far, I haven't found a foot that feels natural in that area.

:(

ann

My targets for this season is to:

Enjoy life and its beauty.

Drive less, save gas!

Shop less, save more! :(

Talk less, listen more! :P

Eat less, exercise more! :blink:

But above all, to get a comfortable fitting leg, so to enjoy walking around. We went to the Flume in NH a long time ago, b4 the amputation, it's absolutely beautiful up there, and would love to go back one day, and I will once we get the proper fitting leg, that will allow me to handle it!

Sheila :)

Cycle the Flitch way, 32 mile round trip I think.

Take a weeks cycling holiday in the North Yorkshire Moors.

Get my jeep out of mothballs and start offroading again

Start doing more photography again.

Find more ways to get amputee's back on their bikes ;)

I often think I'd like to do that, but the crank is too long and it makes my ar*e uncomfortable... and I havn't got the cash to start investing in stuff like the shortened crank (let alone the bike!) to try something I'm not sure I'd carry on with.

What I really want is a trial on a bike like you can do in cars at these mobility shows. Maybe you should organise something for Beyond Boundaries? Just an idea...

I often think I'd like to do that, but the crank is too long and it makes my ar*e uncomfortable... and I havn't got the cash to start investing in stuff like the shortened crank (let alone the bike!) to try something I'm not sure I'd carry on with.

What I really want is a trial on a bike like you can do in cars at these mobility shows. Maybe you should organise something for Beyond Boundaries? Just an idea...

And what a brilliant idea! That's what was missing last year, someone like Rikk showing what can be achieved and how to do it. I have used his "An Amputee and Mountain Bike" post to get myself organised.

Isn't there name for people like you? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spectator?

I finally got on my mountain bike at the weekend- first time since the chop. up 'till then just been in the gym.

I found that canting the toe down and swinging the heel out was good. I used a toe-clip on the pedal but kept the outside open, security was good and foot stayed where I wanted it and was surprised at my smooth cadence. Coped with loose gravel, rough grass and hills (moderate up and down). HIGHLY CHUFFED.

Holland on Thurday night , them I think its 30-50 miles a day for 4 days! ( will be on a tandem until confidence is completely back) I will report.

OBL, which leg is it you've lost? just asking as I don't use my crank extension any more so you're more than welcome to it but it's for a right leg as like pedals the screws/threads in it are handed to the side it goes on.

Anyway let me know, and if OBL can't use it and anyone else wants it let me know.

We're having a sports/activities day at my limb centre on 6th of June where I'll be strutting my stuff and answering Q's, hopefully get a few people motivated :)

Limb centre is in harold wood btw if anyone fancied a visit, food supplied ;)

What I'd love to do is win the lottery and open some kind of charity to get disabled people on bikes, you know supply the parts needed to modify bikes, a mechanic and perhaps skills days to get people onto the next step....oh well we can all dream :)

OBL, which leg is it you've lost? just asking as I don't use my crank extension any more so you're more than welcome to it but it's for a right leg as like pedals the screws/threads in it are handed to the side it goes on.

Anyway let me know, and if OBL can't use it and anyone else wants it let me know.

We're having a sports/activities day at my limb centre on 6th of June where I'll be strutting my stuff and answering Q's, hopefully get a few people motivated :)

Limb centre is in harold wood btw if anyone fancied a visit, food supplied ;)

What I'd love to do is win the lottery and open some kind of charity to get disabled people on bikes, you know supply the parts needed to modify bikes, a mechanic and perhaps skills days to get people onto the next step....oh well we can all dream :)

Blindin' I'll PM you my address... sounds like the sort of thing to get me motivated... if I've got the crank I can think about dusting off my Father in law's old bike and maybe get going....

Many many thanks Rikk