Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sarahsaifa

A leg with balance?

Is there any such thing as a prosthetic leg that helps with balance?

I have to stand on one foot a lot in karate and it's frustrating only being able to do some things on one side.

If this doesn't exist someone should invent a leg with auto balance haha. Or does anyone have tips on balance for standing on one foot?

Is there any such thing as a prosthetic leg that helps with balance?

I have to stand on one foot a lot in karate and it's frustrating only being able to do some things on one side.

If this doesn't exist someone should invent a leg with auto balance haha. Or does anyone have tips on balance for standing on one foot?

Don't think such a thing exists, but if you have any elements in your limb build that are compliant in any way, to allow smooth function and comfortable gait/movement, you may want these stiffening up or removing to gain better balance. Other than that, practice, practice, practice... good luck...

Hi Sarah,

The key is core strength. Your balance comes from your pelvic, abdominal and lower back area. Tried Pilates?

You need a big tennis racket attached to the bottom to increase the area, or else a bigger foot size would help with balance but hinder your walking. Then just in terms of not having a shock absorber or torque adapter will help. Alignment is critical and, as much as it pains me to say it ( ;) Cat), Cat is correct :D

Alignment is critical and, as much as it pains me to say it ( ;) Cat), Cat is correct :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P

:P :D

If you want to gain balance then get a Nintendo Wii and get Wii Fit - apparently it is great for your balance. Also if you clinic has the L.A.S.E.R. Posture device from Otto Bock then it will tell you when you are most balanced by showing where the weight line is running and when this moves the least is when you are most balanced, so your prosthetist could use that to check optimum balance.

Wii Fit

L.A.S.E.R. Posture

Your toes provide the necessary pressure to keep you from falling, to keep you balanced. Without them, you can only do so much to maintain balance while only on your prosthetic limb. I worked extremely hard on this while learning to use a prosthesis. If on level ground, I can usually go about 30 seconds while standing only my prosthetic leg. I have to put my good leg down to stabilize myself after that. It does help a lot in the use of your prosthesis.

I have the same problem in Tae Kwon Do and unfortunately have not yet found a solution. I practice balance constantly and I am better than when I started but I still fall or almost fall a lot.

I have got a Wii Fit and whilst the exercises are fun and possibly do help with balance, the board is not designed to recognise a prosthesis and often doesn't pick up changes in balance/position because you are not changing your weight in the same way as you would with a normal foot.

The thing that has helped most is simply standing on one leg and trying to stay there for as long as possible (one minute is my absolute record but 10 seconds is more normal) -you can do it anytime waiting for the kettle to boil, standing in the supermarket queue, at the photocopier etc................

By the way what grade are you in Karate and what allowances/accomodations do they make for you?

Sue

Thanks for the tips everyone. Have been practicing and will try to work more on my core strength :)

And to Sue, i'm a green belt which is 5th level in my style. I have some allowances in a stances mostly. For example I can't do a proper cat stance because of my leg so they don't judge me on things like that. Also just got 2nd place in a kata comp wooo ^_^