Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ali.hall

It's not too late, to lose weight, and feel great in 2008

Anyway for the last couple of months (nearly) I have been on my fitness regime and diet, to try and lose some weight and tone up. I started at 13st 11lb (87.5kg) and am now down to 12st 13lb (82.5kg) in 7 weeks. I have done this by a great diet (lots of salad and veggie food, less saturated fats), cardio work (although not so much) and lots of weights training.

I can now lift more than I ever could, look better than I have since I played rugby and feel wonderful for it. Anyone else on a similar drive?

My aim is to get down to less than 12st 4lb (78.5kg) by my final exam in September, I think that would be a great achievement, as long as I keep up the muscle work.

And, to anyone who says that you don't lose weight when you are doing weights, bollocks I say :D

I'm just keeping it up all the time now, eating fairly normally but healthy food, nothing fried, the odd cake etc. But I'm also out on the bike 4-5 times a week doing 8-16 miles cross country each time.

I aim to loose 1-2lbs a month as at the same time I'm still putting on a lot of muscle mass.

Over the past 2 years I've dropped from 16st to 12.4 and want to get to about 11.6 my body fats dropped from 22% to 15.5% and I'd like to get that down another % to finally get ride of the last remnants of a tummy.

I think a lower leg is 7% body weight so I'm aiming for 12.5-13 stone if I was one bit :)

Doesn't losing all this weight play havoc with socket fit?

It does to a certain extent, but having my amp 20+ years ago it's pretty settled so all I've had is two new sockets in 2 years but the difference in the way i feel far outweighs the odd extra socket.

Should be picking my new cycling leg up in a week so can get back to really going for it as this one hasn't been changed in 2 years and I got a couple of blisters after two very hard rides.

My stump is pretty much down to skin and bones anyway, no changes to socket fit. I used to know what percentage of body weight a below knee amputation really is, but I have forgotten, don't think it is as much as 7% though.

My stump is pretty much down to skin and bones anyway, no changes to socket fit. I used to know what percentage of body weight a below knee amputation really is, but I have forgotten, don't think it is as much as 7% though.

'ali' my leg is really skinny also...it was hurting so bad I had to have a special liner with more silicone (sp) in it at the bottom. Seems to have taken care of it. Sure didn't help my bank account though :( ann

Here's a couple of good links, the first shows body weight % per part and the 2nd will calculate you ideal weight etc and also compensates for amupations.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zLniRal...hl=en#PPA736,M1

http://www.dietitian.com/calcbody.php

In the past 3 years I've lost 115 lbs. but after having been in a wheelchair for 8 months, I put back 20 of that. So now my goal is to get rid of that 20, again! I feel so much better when I'm active.

The weight loss has been nuts on my stump and prosthesis. I had to have a bunch of extra tissue removed and things are better now. Of course, I'm dealing with an over 40 body that just doesn't shrink back to where it was before!!

Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your success. It helps to hear good things from other people that are working on the same thing!

Carol

In the past 3 years I've lost 115 lbs. but after having been in a wheelchair for 8 months, I put back 20 of that. So now my goal is to get rid of that 20, again! I feel so much better when I'm active.

The weight loss has been nuts on my stump and prosthesis. I had to have a bunch of extra tissue removed and things are better now. Of course, I'm dealing with an over 40 body that just doesn't shrink back to where it was before!!

Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your success. It helps to hear good things from other people that are working on the same thing!

Carol

Hi Carol,

Don't worry I am dealing with an over 40 body too, and your right it doesn't shrink back like it did before.

At the moment am really having to watch my weight, am waiting to have revision surgery and also not that mobile as a consequence.

However, until recently I thought I was eating pretty healthily, loads of fruit and veg, but recently hubby has had some health probs and seriously had to review his diet, so we've had to really look at what we are eating. Have discovered that even fruit and veg can pile on the calories, so we are now eating much smaller portions - will let you know if it works.