Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SusanI

Amputee runner wins right to try for Olympic spot

They interviewed Oscar on the Today show, here in the United States this morning..The guy is awesome.

I'm glad that he hung in there and didn't quit.. goes to show the good guy does win... sometimes..

Let's hope the delay in getting the ruling hasn't slowed him down any and that he makes the Olympic team!!!

On the subject of the Olympics...why isn't the Paralympics televised? I cannot understand when there are so many sports event televised these days that this isn't. Or are they going to be televised now in August after the Olympics??? Anybody know???

Carol

I'll bet the day is coming- soon. Last years Extremity games were televised on mostly PBS stations. This year, the X Games are adding two events (for trial) from the Extremity line up to be televised on ESPN2 with the rest. The Monoski event started under this scenario and is now a regular event at Winter X. Things are definitely moving in the right direction! :D

I've been e-mailing stations such as CNN and people like Oprah to see if we can't get this started sooner. It is ridiculous the things that are covered on television but not the Paralympics where people have trained for years in order to compete. I am on a mission!!

Caroln

On the subject of the Olympics...why isn't the Paralympics televised? I cannot understand when there are so many sports event televised these days that this isn't. Or are they going to be televised now in August after the Olympics??? Anybody know???

Carol

The Paralympics was televised over here in the UK last time, although there wasn't as much coverage as the Olympics.

I think the televising was scritinised by the UK disabled community. And that thankfully, because the music at the end of the first day (showing the highlights) was so sickeningly 'haven't they done well? despite everything' - it was very unsulting. However, the complaints must have flowed in as the following day the music had changed to something very upbeat that they'd used during the Olympics. I suppose it's a learning process, but you'd think they'd take the trouble to find out what the athletes were like before they jumped to conclusions, wouldn't you?

The Paralympics were shown here last time but there wasn't a lot of coverage.

At the risk of going against the tide a little I wanted to express my view about Oscar competing :P

Personally I don't think he should run but that's just my opinion and it follows on from my belief that The Olympics be kept a "pure" contest. Sadly drugs have spoiled it a bit over the years but for the most part it has been thrilling, pure competition. My fear is not that Oscar will win. If he makes it I will be supporting him as loud as I will be supporting Natalie Du Toit when she swims. My fear is that it could have a cascading effect on athletes being allowed to use "equipment". I worry about high jumpers with springs in their heels, swimmers with flippers and the like. If they allow Oscar with his "aids" to run then surely the other athletes have the right to consider ways to use similar things to assist them. I guess what I'm saying is it could possibly be a can of worms that I would hate to see opened.

I can also see the view from the other side because, frankly speaking, with his times as they are now, Oscar would struggle to make the final of his event let alone win it. So what advantage does he have??? None that I can see. So from that viewpoint I say let him go for it.

I still worry about that can of worms :rolleyes:

I know I'm not alone in this view as the following links will show, and they are just two of many.

Click Here

And Here

Carol

The Paralympics was televised over here in the UK last time, although there wasn't as much coverage as the Olympics.

I think the televising was scritinised by the UK disabled community. And that thankfully, because the music at the end of the first day (showing the highlights) was so sickeningly 'haven't they done well? despite everything' - it was very unsulting. However, the complaints must have flowed in as the following day the music had changed to something very upbeat that they'd used during the Olympics. I suppose it's a learning process, but you'd think they'd take the trouble to find out what the athletes were like before they jumped to conclusions, wouldn't you?

It it worth a new thread here, asking that the amputee community contact NBC and ask them to air the Paralympics in the US?

I found a contact e-mail: nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

I think that some sort of petition, or letter writing campaign or e-mailing campaign might be in order.

I'd be interested in getting involved if people here think it's worth the effort. Might not help for this year, but down the road?

I'm going to send them an e-mail. :D

Susan

It it worth a new thread here, asking that the amputee community contact NBC and ask them to air the Paralympics in the US?

I found a contact e-mail: nbcolympicsfeedback@nbcuni.com

I think that some sort of petition, or letter writing campaign or e-mailing campaign might be in order.

I'd be interested in getting involved if people here think it's worth the effort. Might not help for this year, but down the road?

I'm going to send them an e-mail. :D

Susan

Here's my letter:

Dear NBC,

I am a member of the amputee community. I have been a right, above knee amputee for a year and a half.

I'm guessing that you have no idea how big the amputee community is. I know I didn't. I found out that it is an amazing, wonderful community, that gives strength and courage to others facing similar difficulties in their lives.

I participate on an internet forum where amputees from around the world discuss issues. It has come to my attention that several countries have televised the Paralympics in the past.

I am writing to ask that you please consider televising the 2008 Paralympic Games. You could potentially do much good by airing this event.

Know that China has set up a Paralympic Website. http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/ Maybe you could do the same?

Best Regards,

Susan

Here's my letter:

Dear NBC,

I am a member of the amputee community. I have been a right, above knee amputee for a year and a half.

I'm guessing that you have no idea how big the amputee community is. I know I didn't. I found out that it is an amazing, wonderful community, that gives strength and courage to others facing similar difficulties in their lives.

I participate on an internet forum where amputees from around the world discuss issues. It has come to my attention that several countries have televised the Paralympics in the past.

I am writing to ask that you please consider televising the 2008 Paralympic Games. You could potentially do much good by airing this event.

Know that China has set up a Paralympic Website. http://en.paralympic.beijing2008.cn/ Maybe you could do the same?

Best Regards,

Susan

Their E-mail address didn't work, but here is a page where there is a pull down menu where you can e-mail:

http://www.nbc.com/Footer/Contact_Us/

I think it certainly wouldn't hurt to let the "powers that be" know that there's an interest in the paralympics in the US. I know that here in L.A., the local media covers the LA Marathon wheelchair race along with the "regular" race, and it's an exciting event. The paralympics could be the same.

I'll add my own e-mail, Susan, and mention it to family and friends.........

I think it certainly wouldn't hurt to let the "powers that be" know that there's an interest in the paralympics in the US. I know that here in L.A., the local media covers the LA Marathon wheelchair race along with the "regular" race, and it's an exciting event. The paralympics could be the same.

I'll add my own e-mail, Susan, and mention it to family and friends.........

OK, one more place to e-mail:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/23071620/from/ET/

It'll be on the telly eventually, there's more and more telly nowadays, even the womens FA Cup makes it on to telly here now, it doesn't make it any good, in fact, compared to the mens game, it's awful, but there's enough interest to get it on the box. It doesn't change the fact that there's a very restricted audience (it was played at a relatively small stadium and they couldn't even fill that!).

We (those of us with a disablility that might have an interest) don't make up that much of the potential audience, and so it will only ever be a minority that's really interested.

Also, I think it's wrong that Oscar Pistorius can compete against people with two flesh and bone legs, it's not an even race, it involves engineers and material development, it detracts from the natural purity of the Olympics.... just my opinion.

It'll be on the telly eventually, there's more and more telly nowadays, even the womens FA Cup makes it on to telly here now, it doesn't make it any good, in fact, compared to the mens game, it's awful, but there's enough interest to get it on the box. It doesn't change the fact that there's a very restricted audience (it was played at a relatively small stadium and they couldn't even fill that!).

We (those of us with a disablility that might have an interest) don't make up that much of the potential audience, and so it will only ever be a minority that's really interested.

I remember watching the televised Paralypmics 4 years ago & one of the commentators saying that it was a shame the Games weren't televised in the US, especially seeing as the US had sent a team of athletes.

The standard was very high OBL and I think it was worth showing. Oscar Pistorius was good to watch but I found the (Chinese?) bilateral arm amputee swimmer the most amazing!

Also, I think it's wrong that Oscar Pistorius can compete against people with two flesh and bone legs, it's not an even race, it involves engineers and material development, it detracts from the natural purity of the Olympics.... just my opinion.

Detracts from the natural purity? To be absolutely fair, then any form of drug, shaving, and clothing (e.g. footwear) should be banned as well as appliances (e.g. contact lenses). So, you'd have them all running around in 'the buff' then? :rolleyes:

"Lizzie2"

Hey, I'd watch the olympics in the buff :blush: bring it on!

;)

ann

"Lizzie2"

;)

ann

I think the comment on here about "Purity" can be taken a few ways- and I am NOT going there- but as a person with two Olympic

Athletes in my family (Swimming Slver Medal Germany 1936 and the 1980 Miracle on Ice US Hockey Team) I hope that every athlete that can "cut it" as far as speed etc has a place on the Teams. If we start to disqualify eveyone who ever had a surgical procedure- does losing your appendix make you lighter and faster? Can someone who let's say lost a finger qualify if they use a prosthesis to play ball? This could get to an absurd level I guess. I wonder just how much anyone would care if Pistorius used more"natural looking" prosthetic legs? Surely the same issue would be there but I would think that some of the sound and fury is being generated by his amazing looking Cheetah Legs. Or are we all just jealous!!!! I know I am!!!!

And PS the "Original" Greek Oympics were performed "In the buff"! Time travel anyone? Halleycomet

"Lizzie2"

;)

ann

:wacko: ....No way would i watch it in the buff someone might come in with a camera :lol:

Detracts from the natural purity? To be absolutely fair, then any form of drug, shaving, and clothing (e.g. footwear) should be banned as well as appliances (e.g. contact lenses). So, you'd have them all running around in 'the buff' then? :rolleyes:

I think it does and agree with OBL there. Any athlete competing can use identical footwear, outfits, shave......and sadly take the same drugs (The drugs HAVE to go). None of the runners can imitate what Oscar has. I can't say I'm jealous or am I scared of Oscar winning, as I said in my post way way up the top there I worry about that can of worms. I am a huge supporter of both the Olympics and the Paralympics. Do we want them to remain separate? or do we merge the two? In return for Oscar running do we allow able bodied people to compete against us?

Where do we draw that line?

I'm enjoying this it's a great thread :D

Do we want them to remain separate? or do we merge the two?

That's an interesting thought, if the argument is that Oscar is equal, that opens up quite a can of worms...

As for shoes, losing fingers, doing it in the buff... I'm not convinced you're being serious... none of those compare to a runner having no legs surely...

Do we want them to remain separate? or do we merge the two?

That's an interesting thought, if the argument is that Oscar is equal, that opens up quite a can of worms...

As for shoes, losing fingers, doing it in the buff... I'm not convinced you're being serious... none of those compare to a runner having no legs surely...

I can't speak for Cat, but I was being serious actually, OBL - I was trying to challenge your idea of purity, in a jokey way. :)

I tend to agree with Halleycomet. The equipment (e.g. footwear) that is available today, to all athletes, is far superior today than it was say 20 or even 10 years ago, primarily due to advances in materials technology.

With regards to Oscar Pistorius, I think there probably is a certain element of jealousy (on our part) and probably fear (of being beaten by a 'cripple' on the part of non-amps). If you look at the various bits of research that were carried out recently to support the cases for and against him competing in the Olympics, you'll see (this is my interpretation btw) that the main evidence against the use of Kevlar blades was that lactic acid build up (that usually happens at a certain stage into a race and 'momentarily' impedes muscle function in athletes with both legs) does not happen in Kevlar blades. However, in another study they discovered that the actual physical effort needed for an athlete to run on Kevlar blades far outweighs the lack of the lactic acid build up. If he (or anyone else) wants to have a go, then why not let him (them)? At the moment, he's not reaching the qualifying times and so it's unlikely that he'll compete, but you never know...

Lizzie :)

Which bit wasn't I serious about? :unsure:

"Lizzie2"

;)

ann

:wacko: ....No way would i watch it in the buff someone might come in with a camera :lol:

OK {kitty cat} I was not referring to me. :huh: I was referring to the olympians :excl:

;)

ann

With regards to Oscar Pistorius, I think there probably is a certain element of jealousy (on our part)

I'm glad you're only speaking for yourself... it's easy to say that, it's like a cover all, if I argue that, ten it conirms my jealousy... be assured, it's not that.

Cat.... I didn't mean you, I wouldn't suggest you weren't being serious ;)

With regards to Oscar Pistorius, I think there probably is a certain element of jealousy (on our part)

I'm glad you're only speaking for yourself... it's easy to say that, it's like a cover all, if I argue that, ten it conirms my jealousy... be assured, it's not that.

Ouch! :blink: Which side of the bed did you get out of today, OBL?

I have no problem admitting that I'm just a little bit jealous of him, but then I'm a little bit jealous of anyone who is younger and fitter than I am. However, most of my feelings consist of total admiration for him 'taking on the establishment' - if it wasn't for people like him then we'd all probably be stuck in a rut.

I think we'll have to agree to differ on this one.

Lizzie :)

Ouch! :blink: Which side of the bed did you get out of today, OBL?

Don't take everything I say so seriously Lizzie, lighten up... imagine my tongue in my cheek... :rolleyes: