Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
pauls

Can you hire converted cars?

Lost my right leg a while ago & now drive a converted car in the UK.

Its an automatic with left foot pedal.

Does anyone know if it's possible to hire a similar vehicle abroad whilst on holiday?

Cheers

Paul

Does anyone know if it's possible to hire a similar vehicle abroad whilst on holiday?

Cheers

Paul

No sorry I don't... but then I don't use anything other than standard autos with my left foot, and I'm a RAK...

I'm a bit worried about suddenly switching to a standard automatic, as have got used to the pedals being in the opposite order.

Is it tricky to get the hang off?

Hi pauls

I was reseaching this last year and eventually emailed Alfred Bekker direct. He told me that there's no overall agreement for the provision of cars with 'conversions' (I was specifically asking about hand controls) within the EU. He said some countries were more helpful than others. :wacko: He also said that it was easier in the long run to drive your own car and arrange your ferry ticket through the Disabled Motorist Club (you have to be a member) - you can cross (you and your car) for the price of a foot passenger. So, depending on where you're going, it may be best to take your own car.

Hope that helps?

Lizzie :)

I'm a bit worried about suddenly switching to a standard automatic, as have got used to the pedals being in the opposite order.

Can't answer that I'm afraid, I've only ever driven a car like that.... but I don't remeber it being anything other than 'normal'. I do understand your reluctance and concern though.

It's not tricky, I do it all the time, depending on what I feel like doing. Just make sure you practice on quiet roads and get used to it, or else you will drive straight into the back of someone.

It's not tricky, I do it all the time, depending on what I feel like doing. Just make sure you practice on quiet roads and get used to it, or else you will drive straight into the back of someone.

I'm RAK also, and considered using the left-footed gas pedal, but taught myself to drive with my left foot instead. took me a bit to get my courage up, but I've been driving for well over a year now and it feels pretty natural and comfortable.

There is a portable left footed gas pedal available. Maybe you could get one and take it with you??

There is a portable left footed gas pedal available. Maybe you could get one and take it with you??

I was told that, depending upon the country, it wouldn't be legal to take your own transferable piece of kit and stick it in a lease car. Shame isn't it? :(

I am RAK.

My cars in the UK have a left foot pedal.

I have rented from HERTZ etc when on business in France and Italy with no problems using a standard automatic.

It is not as comfortable as using an LH throttle, but really not a problem; depends how adaptable you are.

I keep myself in practice by occasionally taking the conversion off on the UK kit.

When booking the car have found the choice of cars much reduced, as some countries are not keen on autos - or you end up renting a Merc C-class when a VW polo would do!

Cheers

Paul

Inthe US with 48 hour notice the car rental companies have to provide a vehicle with hand controls. I don't know about left accelerater pedals.\JudyH