Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
SteveAZ

Steve from Arizona

I'm a recent LBK residing in the Phoenix metropolitan area (Chandler). I broke my leg in February '07 and when receiving plates and screws had two very nasty hospital squiggly wigglies introduced into the bones resulting in an amputation in November '07. After lurking here for a while, I realize that I'm really quite fortunate. I have about 10cm of tibia left and no scarring. I do have phantom limb issues that are really only a problem with regards to sleeping.

I started wearing a prosthetic at the beginning of February and by the end of February was continuously walking unassisted. February was an amazing month. I've been riding bicycles and started traveling again.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum. Learning about this whole new world [for me] and contributing when I can.

Welcome, Steve... good to have you with us!

'Steve'

The buckeye state of Ohio welcomes you too. We have lots of information on this site.....plus quite alot of fun, games, jokes, etc.

;)

ann

LBK {Jan. 2002}

Hi Steve,

Welcome to this great forum! And the Prairies of Saskatchewan Canada welcomes you.

Peace, Beth Marie

G'day :D

Hey 'cat' what in the world are you listening to and singing???

;)

ann

greetings :D from blighty

Illinois welcomes you too Steve.. Is it as hot right now in Phoenix as I think it is :blink:

Hi Steve! Welcome from ND and Minnesota!!

Caroln

Hi Steve, another welcome from blighty.

I appreciate all the warm welcomes!

eag - I spent seven years in Columbus around the late 70's... Go Bucks!

Cat - Love the avatar!

Higgy - It's still really nice. Only around 100F (37C); bone dry with a 27F (-3C) dew point. We don't usually think of it in terms of humidity but I think that comes out around 8%. The really hot stuff's not far though and the monsoon doesn't usually roll in for another month or so. This will be my first summer with the prosthetic...

I've been really busy with work and I'm planning my first trip away with overnight stays involved to Calgary. I'm ready for it, but apprehensive too. Showering should be interesting. Thanks again all. I'm looking forward to more discussion when I have a little bit more time!

Showering should be interesting.

This is where a plug should be for Thompson's Shower Protector.

Welcome Steve, I got out of the heat (Las Vegas) 3 years ago and I understand "dry heat".

I have yet to get use to the humidity here in the summer time but Im getting there.

Well, you got welcomed by Cat so your off to a good start, LOL :lol:

Take care and see ya around !!! ;)

I appreciate all the warm welcomes!

eag - I spent seven years in Columbus around the late 70's... Go Bucks!

Cat - Love the avatar!

Higgy - It's still really nice. Only around 100F (37C); bone dry with a 27F (-3C) dew point. We don't usually think of it in terms of humidity but I think that comes out around 8%. The really hot stuff's not far though and the monsoon doesn't usually roll in for another month or so. This will be my first summer with the prosthetic...

I've been really busy with work and I'm planning my first trip away with overnight stays involved to Calgary. I'm ready for it, but apprehensive too. Showering should be interesting. Thanks again all. I'm looking forward to more discussion when I have a little bit more time!

Hey Steve,

A Drypro leg protector is a must for traveling. It is a semi-custom fit (length and diameter around thigh) and it vacuums to your leg. I have found that it keeps my leg dry during showers and I don't have to rely on shower chairs and crutches.

http://www.drycorp.com/

Well it's been more than ten years now and a revision that went poorly (MRSA and a Dr. that wouldn't accept that until it was horribly involved) about three years in.

Quite a decade.  I haven't posted here in probably 5-6years.  Sort of got things worked out and just living life.

I'm late 50's.  I had been riding my mountain bike a bit but it just wasn't fun anymore with the leg.

Fast forward to 2016 and a buddy let me ride his electric bicycle.  Shortly after I purchased one and put >3000km on it in about 6mo's.  Then I built one in Mar '17 from what I learned with the first one and have close to 5000km on it now.