Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Halleycomet

Sliding sleeve problem

:o

Help! I have an Ohio sleeve (several actually) that are misbehaving badly. Now this is the OUTER suspension sleeve that is snugged around the BK pros and then is suppossed to roll up over the thigh and HOLD the leg on. Except when it doesn't. My stump has shrunk dramatically and I am wearing up to 11 ply socks (inside the pros over the gell iner) AFTER my Leg Guy added padding to the inside of the pros. I had been up to14 ply! What's happening is--- I get the liner on, which is at or slightly above the level of the top of the pros. Add socks. Roll sleeve up carefully over pros and bit of liner and ta-da over thigh. Almost immedietly the sleeve starts to roll back down. This AM I was not even off the bed where I put it on and it had rolled all the way back down to the edge of the socket. It also slides down over the socket making a thick ridge that is now "grabbing" my pants leg and rubbing it against my skin. This has happened with several of these liners in just the few weeks since I got this first prosthetic. (LBK 28 Jan 2008). I am not being charged for them as my Leg Guy is reporting them as defective but the thing is annoying in the extreme and dangerous. One day getting out of the car I realized as I stepped out that the leg was off and dangling, had to drop my drawers and fix it. Not what I had in mind. Also at PT TWICE the leg has come off and once freaked the new PT guy so much he could not continue the session. And they are (understandably) reluctant to do certain excercises lest it come off again and I fall etc.

MY question for all of you is this---- are there sleeves out there that actually WORK? I am looking into getting the socket re-cast as the change has been dramatic (funnel effect) but I will still need some way to hold it on. My Leg Guy and I have discussed lock pin and or suction but I gather that this is only for "advanced" amps of longer duration than me. Sigh. Am I wrong in thinking that with either the pin lock OR the suction you DON'T NEED A SLEEVE ON THE OUTSIDE? Or am I crazy? He has also mentioned a new invention that uses a sort of expanding foam to "fill in" the socket to make it fit closer with out the endless socks. Any one try this? I am a bit worried that the socks, gel liner, socket , sleeve system will also make for skin problems in the summer- I am very fair skinned and have had blisters already. I did try an Otto Bock sleeve that looked like something from a Science Fiction movie--- all metallic silver and black--- and liked it A LOT- it had an actual KNEE and the edges were re-inforced, held the thigh nicely, BUT the one I tried was a hair too small and Otto Bock is insisting that they do not sell the size I need in the US when indeed the box had whatever size on it and oh well my Leg

Guy is trying to get one in the right size. The other option is a sleeve made like a knee brace with a Velcro strap on the thigh section to make for a more custom adjustment, this of course is a special order but sounds better than leg clattering to the ground! I ride (passenger) a motorcycle and I am very scared that I will go to get off- or on!- and the leg will not be attached. EEEEKKKK!!!! Any suggestions?

Oh- I have discovered that there is a WONDERFUL product made by INVACARE--- a Travel

Folding Walker. The ends of the legs are made with shock cord (like a folding cane)and flip up towards the top, there are clips to hold them there. Handles lock frame when opened. This actually fits on the back of the bike (for uneven ground etc it is great) and fits in the OVERHEAD COMPARTMENT of a plane, also much easier to stow in a car etc. You can get it retail but I got a brand new one on eBay for $16.95 (plus shipping). Great for my big Bike Week Vacation next month! Halleycomet

I am above knee and have sleeve /pin system that works fine..... for me (Medipro).

My other prosthesis has a suction which also works fine - no liner.

this fit is totally different - good to alternate to avoid vary the pressure poings.... for me

I am new too - having had a leg for just over a year.

good luck

This probably sounds a bit of a silly reply, but I would say try a different sleeve, or a different size.

I wear a PTB type limb and have worn sleeves very successfully for quite a few years now. Before that I wore an elastic stocking, but sleeves are much better. Have tried quite a few different ones over the years and I have had those which roll down as you say. The one I am wearing at the moment tends to on occassions and this one I know is slightly too big and is an old spare as my old favourite has just been taken off the market. However there are a variety of different types of sleeves out there.

I am having some of the same exact problems that you are! I have tried suction and pin/lock systems. I am now in a pin/lock system with an outer sleeve to help keep things in place. My problem is the same as yours where the sleeve rolls down and doesn't keep things stable. I have been able now to get the sleeve stretched out enough and if I cut it down it will stay put at least for a while. But it stretches out too much after a week or so and that is way too exensive for me. My leg has fallen off now a couple of times and it is really hard to trust it.

The sleeves you have tried sound interesting and I'm going to ask my leg guy about it. This has been extremely frustrating for me and my guy says about the only thing left to try would be to try a belt system that attached the leg around my waist. I'm not willing to go there yet.

Feel free to send me a note and we can talk further. Take care.

Caroln

There are a wide variety of sleeves out there... and some of them are "grippier" than others. I'm currently wearing an Ossur sleeve in the wierdest color scheme -- a pale banana yellow with a big, loopy lime-green logo. Strange looking... but boy does it grab hold and stay up!

My leg guys had a hard time initially fitting me with a sleeve... we made several attempts before getting something that fit well at both the top and bottom. While it is possible to wear a pin-lock suspension without a sleeve, even as a new amputee (I did just that for my first year), I've become very fond of the pin-lock liner/external sleeve combination.

There are a LOT of changes that go on when you start wearing a prosthesis; I know that I used to feel rather guilty about the number of times I visited my CPO in my early days as my stump kept shrinking/changing! You're entitled to a leg that fits comfortably and stays on, so keep at it until that's what you have!

'Caroln'

Yes, that is one of the most important things I learned thru these forums. Do not quit hasseling your leg man until you are fit properly. It took me a long time to get that thru my head, but I finally did receive a leg that fit decent.

Like I previously told you, I wear a pin system w/ alpha liner....also have to add around three socks {1 ply each} which isn't much. I may look into this system that fits over your liner and you add air to it...that way it always fits well without the hassel of having to add socks. I think it sounds pretty cool...I think that would take away the way my leg pistons at times.

Good luck in your search,

;)

ann

'Caroln'

Yes, that is one of the most important things I learned thru these forums. Do not quit hasseling your leg man until you are fit properly. It took me a long time to get that thru my head, but I finally did receive a leg that fit decent.

Like I previously told you, I wear a pin system w/ alpha liner....also have to add around three socks {1 ply each} which isn't much. I may look into this system that fits over your liner and you add air to it...that way it always fits well without the hassel of having to add socks. I think it sounds pretty cool...I think that would take away the way my leg pistons at times.

Good luck in your search,

;)

ann

FOUND SOMETHING TO HELP!

I found "something" to help with the sliding sleeves- however my dog is mad at me and my husband thinks I need to get one with--- well let me tell you WHAT I did and then I will embarrass my husband!

While experiancing (last night) the most annoying day in my not too long post-amp life- leg fell off completely as I was getting into my car after PT- I noticed the dogs collar lying on the floor and decided to fit it around the sleeve above the pros but close to the top of it. VOILA!!!!! I wore this for a short time last night and all day today and the sleeve has STAYED PUT!!!!! It did roll a bit at the top of the collar but that is OK, Not too snug not too loose- this is one of those webbing collars with a pinch fastener- probably $6 at Walmart. Allows my knee to bend- actually BETTER than I could bend it with the sleeve all bunched up back there and creeping down into the edge of the pros. Now for the husband- HE thinks I should get one of those black leather with spikes numbers. Will match my Motorcycle Mama persona-not! I guess as a fashion statement you COULD get pretty much ANY design for this or get webbing and make your own. If I am seen at the Town Clerks Office trying to get a license for myself somebody please shoot me tho!!!!! Don't know what my Leg Guy will think but he will surely be very happy that I am not in danger of loosing my leg all the time. Still want to see about a system with out the sleeve but for right now this is hopefully going to allow me to actualy USE the leg.

It that is what helps then you should ask for a thigh corset - it is similar to that, attaches above the knee and to the prosthesis. The user tightens it above the knee to stop your leg falling off.

The original sleeve problem sounds like an ill-fitting sleeve though.